• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/408156-cabotnolans-spc-claim-old-next-cat-debtclaim-dismissed/page/4/#comments https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/404240-arrowshoos-spc-old-newday-aqua-credit-card-debt-claim-dismissed-no-dn/page/4/#comments default notice win  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/407490-meiii-cabotnolans-spc-claim-old-yorkshire-bank-loan-2nd-claim-dismissed/  
    • It follows a public backlash after stores were told they could not sell items such as clothes. View the full article
    • With regard to your question on post 207 if you bring in the points that I made on the validity of the contract they are supposed to have with Peel holdings then mention that there are already doubts about the validity of the contracts that are being used by the PPCs and the OPS is a classic example. Once you are on there you should then try and get your other point in after that.   if it is in connection with the extra charge of £60 remind the Judge that the charge has been defined by many Court across England that the charge is an abuse of process which was covered in PE v Beavis at point 198    " The charge has to be and is set at a level which enables managers to recover the costs of operating the scheme"  IE the £100 charge covers all their expenses so nothing should be added.   as their WS claims an extra £60 that could be judged as perjurious since it is an additional sum that should be known by VCS and the author of the WS as a double recovery. Especially as they have already lost in Court for the same reason.   Another cause to prove that they do not comply with their Code of Conduct. file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/CamScanner%2008-05-2020%2016.34.59.pdf  Byelaws are statutory not arbitrary as their WS said on no .42 .   Best of Luck.   The above URL does not work but this one does http://forums.National Consumer Service.com/index.php?showtopic=133001    [20.1 is where  VCS  lost then 20.2 where they appealed and lost again . But read the whole thread as it may help you in other ways too.
    • Sian Williams from Indonesia takes us through her week during the coronavirus pandemic. View the full article
    • stop doing nolans job for them... there are numerous threads here in the same forum yours is in     no DN info to follow   dx    
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Administrative penalty notice- how do they expect us to pay?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1231 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I don't understand still. So we won't have all of the money taken off us?

Please can someone clear it up?

The overpayment is recovered in full, by weekly deduction. Once that has been recovered the deductions will continue until the ad pen amount has been recovered.

Any prescribed benefits end for 4 weeks in addition.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so she won't be sanctioned until everything been recovered including ad pen? so could take over a year before she gets sanctioned which gives her time to put money aside before she loses benefits for 4 weeks?

No I think they mean 4 weeks immediately

So just so I've got this straight

During the 4 weeks that they will sanction us - the £44 a month would be paid automatically as part of the sanction?

There would be nothing in my bank account to pay it otherwise.

No. It just means the recovery won't happen for those 4 weeks as you don't have any benefits.

You don't have to accept the ad pen. You could decline and see if they do prosecute but if you do that, take legal advice first: only a legal adviser with the full facts can fully advise you what is in your best interests.

Yes, the 4 weeks are immediate

Not having read all of the information for this case, it is difficult to comment.

But i would make this observation.

If they would struggle to live with just the deduction to benefits to pay back the excess benefits received, applying this administrative penalty and sanction of 4 weeks without benefits, is only ever going to make the situation worse.

This is very poorly worked out by DWP and cannot have been a commonsense decision. I find the lack of an appeals process for the administrative penalty as a disturbing aspect, particularly if those concerned have suffered from mental health.

Personally, if it were me, if the overpayment of benefits was not an attempt to defaud DWP and was simply due to circumstances that can be explained, i would reject the administrative penalty by writing to DWP. I would send a copy to my local MP, with a covering note that i would like the MP to intervene on my behalf, as DWP do not offer an appeals process. Obviously wait until the new MP is decided on Thursday.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I don't disagree.

The reason there is no right of appeal is because you can simply decline the ad pen. Then they will need to make a decision regarding prosecution or not.

If convicted the loss of benefit is longer and they sting you for court costs.

So that's the risk, which is why advice should be sought from someone that has all the facts before you make a decision.

They may well decide that it's not in the public interest to prosecute

- the file may make it all the way to the CPS and then they decide that.

I don't disagree.

The reason there is no right of appeal is because you can simply decline the ad pen. Then they will need to make a decision regarding prosecution or not.

If convicted the loss of benefit is longer and they sting you for court costs.

So that's the risk, which is why advice should be sought from someone that has all the facts before you make a decision.

They may well decide that it's not in the public interest to prosecute

- the file may make it all the way to the CPS and then they decide that.

So it's a bit of a lottery really as to whether if I decline it they'll take me to court and it'll be a lot worse or I just accept it and lose 4 weeks benefit

I seriously don't know what to do.

Not having read all of the information for this case, it is difficult to comment.

But i would make this observation.

If they would struggle to live with just the deduction to benefits to pay back the excess benefits received, applying this administrative penalty and sanction of 4 weeks without benefits, is only ever going to make the situation worse.

This is very poorly worked out by DWP and cannot have been a commonsense decision. I find the lack of an appeals process for the administrative penalty as a disturbing aspect, particularly if those concerned have suffered from mental health.

Personally, if it were me, if the overpayment of benefits was not an attempt to defaud DWP and was simply due to circumstances that can be explained, i would reject the administrative penalty by writing to DWP. I would send a copy to my local MP, with a covering note that i would like the MP to intervene on my behalf, as DWP do not offer an appeals process. Obviously wait until the new MP is decided on Thursday.

Well it will be £44 a month off our benefits starting on the 16th of this month. We struggle to live now but we get by somehow.

If I decline the adpen then it gets taken to court and I'm prosecuted I could go to prison. I just couldn't risk that. I really don't know what to do.

I have an interview on the 14th where they are going to explain the situation to me.

I was going to send them a letter stating that they really haven't looked at my case and my mitigating circumstances before making a decision and that I don't think in the eyes of the law that is fair. I think it's heartless because I have mental health problems. Why should I become a statistic just to make their quota when I had no intentions of defrauding the DWP and that it was simply due to my mitigating circumstances which are on tape. I don't think there's much point sending that letter now after everything everyone has said.

I always want to follow the law and if accepting this adpen means not going to jail I'll do it.

This is seriously affecting my mental health. I've hardly been able to sleep since receiving this. My depression and anxiety have both gone sky high. My partner who is also mentally unwell has been affected too.

If you decline and get prosecuted you won't go to jail. They most likely sentence is either a fine,curfew if you're unable to do unpaid work or simply give you a conditional discharge and only pay court costs. The overpayment is low and there was no intent and you are of good character a prison sentence won't even cross their minds. If you decline and get prosecuted, i would be more concerned with my name in the paper and people judging me. Accept it and apply for hardship.

If you decline and get prosecuted you won't go to jail. They most likely sentence is either a fine,curfew if you're unable to do unpaid work or simply give you a conditional discharge and only pay court costs. The overpayment is low and there was no intent and you are of good character a prison sentence won't even cross their minds. If you decline and get prosecuted, i would be more concerned with my name in the paper and people judging me. Accept it and apply for hardship.

Yes that's a massive worry too! I think I'll accept it and apply for hardship. They can only say no.

Thanks a lot for all your help. Sorry for being mean to you a couple of days ago. My anxiety was massively high having just received the letter. I really appreciate all of your help.

So it's a bit of a lottery really as to whether if I decline it they'll take me to court and it'll be a lot worse or I just accept it and lose 4 weeks benefit

I seriously don't know what to do.

It's very likely prosecution will be recommended by the team leader. However the CPS might well reject the case.

I think you need to take advice before you make a decision.

I have a few more questions if I may

1) The repayments were meant to start with our benefit which was paid today. They deducted £2.20 from our benefits today.

The weird thing is we got a letter first of all saying they were going to take £1.10 per week. This is in line with what we have been reduced by.

We also got another letter the following day saying they were going to take £11.20 per week.

I'm just a bit confused as to which one is right and wanted to get your opinions before I chased it up.

2) The 4 weeks we aren't going to get benefit (we've decided to accept the adpen after much consideration) we've sorted out how we are going to get by.

I'm also a bit confused by the wording of this too (I get confused a lot)

What is the definition of 4 weeks in this sense?

Is it two payments as we get paid fortnightly or 4 payments?

Interview is on Thursday so I could ask then but I wanted to get the opinion of you all.

Thank you very much for all your help!

In your post dated 5th June, you said that your interview is on the 14th, then in your post today, you have said the interview is on Thursday, which is the 15th.

I just wanted to point that out to you as if you have got your dates/days mixed up you could well turn up on the wrong day, and that wouldn't be very good.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice on the rest of your questions.

I hope all goes well for you.