monsta149

inheritence and the DWP

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 922 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I am currently on ESA and get my rent paid by the DWP

- and I am due to inherit 100,000

- now I know that my benefits will stop

- and I intend to invest £70000 on a property

- my question is what I do with the remaning £30000

-i have been told the DWP take a dim view of excessive holidays

and will question my expenditure when I have to sign on again

-does anyone know what is excessive expenditure

- because after living on the bread line for over 8years

I would like new clothes a couple of holiday and treat myself well for a change

- but not at the detriment of the DWP to say when the cash is all gone

- to say I am not entitled to any benefit .

Thanks in advance for any info

Hi monsta149 and Welcome to CAG

I have moved your thread to the appropriate forum..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your rent is paid by the local authority, NOT the DWP.

And AFAIK, they have absolutely no say over how you spend YOUR money.

All you do is tell the LA and DWP that you have inherited these funds, they will close your claim accordingly, well in regards to the LA paying you rent.

Did you qualify for PIP at all?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

yeah I get pip and know that wont be affected as its non means tested - but I have been told that I must watch how I spend my money - as the DWP can view it as excessive

yeah I get pip and know that wont be affected as its non means tested - but I have been told that I must watch how I spend my money - as the DWP can view it as excessive

Ha ha ha ha, WHO told you that??

Simply inform your LA that you need to close your HB claim, and inform ESA of the inheritance, any notion they're going to question on what you spend YOUR money on is pure fantasy.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Firstly your winfall does not take effect on your current Income Related benefits until you have had it for six months.

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

Firstly your winfall does not take effect on your current Income Related benefits until you have had it for six months.

It's classed as capital from the day they receive it.

Why would it be disregarded for six months?

why does it not take affect till 6months ?????

The story you link isn't about the UK though, the couple concerned don't live in the UK and aren't claiming benefits here, so isn't relevant to what the DWP might do in OP's case.

And anyway the story isn't that the local equivalent of DWP are denying them benefits because they spent their windfall too quickly. The story is that the local equivalent of DWP believe the couple have NOT spent all their windfall and have hidden some of it away. ie, they suspect fraud through non-disclosure of capital.

The couple, from Guernsey, scooped £50,000 as second prize on the Channel Islands Christmas lottery in 2014.

Social Security, which is responsible for welfare claims on the Channel Island of Guernsey, have refused to help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread