Newbie here - advice would be gratefully received! :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everybody,

I've just found this forum after reading about the OFT's ruling against excessive bank charges.

I am a student and my Halifax student account accrued over £2,400 in charges over a period of around 18 months; every time I managed to pay off my debts, I was hit with a load of new charges. As you can imagine, I ended up in serious debt and very nearly got thrown out of University (I had to take on extra work and ended up failing my year - oops!).

Sorry to ramble - long story short, is there any way I can attempt to reclaim some or all of these charges? If they were to refund the majority of the charges, I could clear my debt with them entirely; the bad debt's obviously severly affecting my credit rating.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

/al

Hi Al,

It really does take a few days to get your head around all the arguments and all the information.

You will be setting a timetable (the timetable that the bank says it will work to is irrelevant). In the FAQ you will find 'Step By Step Instructions.' Start this, be clear on what your first step is (requesting the info from the bank so that you can calculate what they owe you)

Whilst waiting for the info, read up on your next step. If you make sure you stick to your own thread in the relevant area (eg [username] claim against [bank]), and use this as a sort of diary which you can update as things progress. It will also enable you to check responses to your questions, and people will be able to find your thread a lot easier.

Good luck.

You are here, you want your money back, you will get help and support in this, but it is YOUR call, and you must be prepared to put in the effort.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 08 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks