Groupon purchase - Event cancelled

CraigMcK
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I just want a quick sanity check before pushing Groupon further.

We purchased tickets to a car event that was due to take place last Saturday.

The event is clearly listed on their site as 8AM to 8PM.

As it was a bit wet last Saturday we waited until it cleared up a bit and arrived at the location around 6pm to find it was closed and everyone had gone. (Further searches suggest it got cancelled about 4pm)

I came back and contacted Groupon to ask for a refund,

eventually they came back yesterday and said that we could get Groupon credit.

Am I being reasonable pushing to get the full amount credited back onto my card?

Thanks

Under Consumer Right Act, i though you had a right to a full refund if a one off event does not take place. Groupon would be responsible as your arrangement was via them.

I would be different if the event was running over a period of time, if the terms allowed you to be credited with tickets for another date.

The credit does not seem acceptable, as you booked one event and might not be interested in anything else they have to offer. I think they are trying to avoid as many refunds as possible, as no doubt they will be waiting for event organisers to refund them and don't want to be in a position of loss.

Go back and state consumer rights act, full refund please or court claim issued. You are not interested in a credit. They will probably just refund in full without delay.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

problem is the event did happen, they just packed up early.

If you go to a sporting match and the game is abandoned you dont get a refund as there was some play.

Your problem is you really need to chase the promoter of the event and not groupon but chasing both would make more sense as neither would want to have bad press I'm sure

urm..don't think you've any claim there sadly.

if they are giving you credit i'd take it with both hands!!

you turn up at 6pm for an event that ran 8am 8pm and find it gone and dead..

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

urm..don't think you've any claim there sadly.

if they are giving you credit i'd take it with both hands!!

you turn up at 6pm for an event that ran 8am 8pm and find it gone and dead..

dx

I read it that the event was cancelled at 4pm, because it could not take place at all. So those that were there before 4pm had been waiting around hoping it took place but it never did. This is why a credit was provided, due to event being cancelled. Had it took place before 4pm finishing early, then i am sure Groupon would have offered nothing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

Just an update on this and to clarify,

The event did run from 08:00 to ~16:00 at which point it was cancelled. However from various reviews it seems to have been chaos across the time it did run, people waiting in a queue for 4 hours to get on a booked time slot car ride etc.

Anyway, personally my thoughts were that unlike say a football match which has a set start time / end time this experience was flexible in that you could go anytime between 08:00 and 20:00 and see what you wanted to see, similar to an exhibition. Well that was my argument with Groupon and it worked. I'm happy to say the money arrived back in my account (bank not groupon) yesterday :)

So going from the comments above Groupon have been very fair

Thanks all for your comments