Stressed by employer whilst on garden leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking for advice

I resigned from my job a few weeks ago and have been placed on Garden Leave, I have another 4 weeks to work before starting my new job

The problem is I am being put under great stress by my employer, and have been under pressure due to a family death recently to the point I'm not sleeping, not eating and generally affecting both my and my families life.

It is that bad I am beginning to question if resigning was the right thing to do despite hating my job, that's how bad it has got.

I must be on call during normal work hours should my boss call, and when he does he is very rude, angry and obnoxious, and also threatening to ruin my new career, I think the words he used were he would make me unemployable.

You can see why I am stressed, it really is affecting my health.

I am going to see the doctor tomorrow, and was contemplating asking for a sick note.

I have no intention in starting work for my new employer until I am legally allowed to do by my notice period, and I know currently I would not be up to it.

I am looking for any help on this matter, I feel my current employer will take any sickness I take as a ruse but I do not see at way out of this situation, I am at my wits end with the whole thing

Thank you

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hello and welcome to CAG. I expect the employment guys will be along later with advice for you.

I think it's normal to be on call during garden leave, but your boss's attitude is unnecessary.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Everytime he calls you, record the call. That way if he does do anything illegal, you have full and complete proof.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I had a meeting with my boss and HR manager today to discuss where they were at with the work I had left them

My boss was getting very personal and throwing accusations around, when I pointed this out to my HR manager they just shrugged their shoulders, one sided totally

Then simply walk out. Also you have a right to bring in a witness if they call you to the office for any meeting like that. Especially if you think its done unfairly. Or another aspect is to get a mediator in. But since youve already resigned its a moot point now.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

No you don't have a right to bring a witness. No such right exists in law. There is a right to be accompanied by a work colleague or union officer to grievance and disciplinary meetings. This is neither.

I agree that your boss is being unreasonable. But you can afford to just chill. Let it flow over you. Smile like a fool and think happy thoughts. You will be out of there in four weeks. He can threaten whatever he likes - he's not going to be able to carry through idle threats, and toy won't care tuppence in a few weeks. He sound like the sort for whom that response will be torture. He needs you to react to his ridiculous behaviour, and he needs you to be frightened. You don't need to be either.

Not in law, but the vast majority of companies allow you to bring one in.

Many companies actually allow you a representative for investigations/meetings etc. They arent allowed to talk, but are allowed in so one side cant say something was or wasnt said. The company i work for, for example does it as a matter of policy. Just because you don't know companies that have a policy like it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Many companies actually allow you a representative for investigations/meetings etc. They arent allowed to talk, but are allowed in so one side cant say something was or wasnt said. The company i work for, for example does it as a matter of policy. Just because you don't know companies that have a policy like it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

I didn't say it doesn't happen. I said it isn't the vast majority. Few employers allow employees to have another person present in routine meetings. And this is just a routine meeting. Your original assertion was that there was a right to bring a witness. There isn't. And some companies may have policy allowing witnesses at other meetings, but it certainly isn't the vast majority.

What you actually wrote was "you have a right to."

I think it's correct to point out it's not a legal right.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi

I am on gardening leave for another 3 weeks

My new employer has already started getting calls asking if I will be joining them

Is it ok for my new employer to confirm this, I am aware I cannot approach my previous customers and will not do so but I would hope it is ok for my new manager to confirm my start date

Any advice please

Threads merged for clarity

Are you subject to any specific restrictive covenants in your 'old' contract? Would there be a clause for example that you cannot work for a competitor? Not that this would be enforceable necessarily, but it seems strange that your current employer should be asking this question of your new employer

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Threads merged for clarity

Are you subject to any specific restrictive covenants in your 'old' contract? Would there be a clause for example that you cannot work for a competitor? Not that this would be enforceable necessarily, but it seems strange that your current employer should be asking this question of your new employer

I read this as customers are phoning, not the old employer.

OK, I agree that we would need to know any terms of restrictions, but I'm wondering how people would have known where you were going if you hadn't already told them?

Good morning

Please can anyone help me here

Today I was due my salary, I checked my bank and found no payment from my employer, I am on Gardening Leave

I spoke to HR who informed me they were instructed to deduct the cost of training from my pay, I must state the training I think they speak about was last year some time and in house but by an outside company

The training was compulsory as I had no choice but to attend, can they do this?

I cannot find a copy of my contract, there may have been something in there but certainly no costs as I recall

They have also not paid my commissions which were due prior to me being put on Gardening Leave as they were instructed by my manager, again can they do this?

I have asked HR for over a week now for a copy of my contract, to date I have received nothing

I could understand taking money from my final pay but this would not be my final pay as I have a month of Gardening Leave which I am legally entitled to be paid for

Effectively I have been paid nothing when over £4000 was due

Thank you in advance

Dear company,

today I was due to be paid, and yet I have received nothing to my bank account.

Mr XX in your HR team advises this is because you have deducted training costs.

Please provide by return a breakdown of the exact training costs you are deducting, and in addition a copy of any signed agreement you may hold from me outlining the terms under which such costs may be deducted. For the record, I do not recall signing such an agreement.

Please also provide my payslip showing amounts due and amounts reclaimed.

Be assured I will have no hesitation in progressing to court to recover sums due to me, should that prove necessary.

Kind regards,

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

well, without a copy of your contract to check for a non compete clause you are a bit stuffed...

I would spend today going through all of your files until you find it!

Threads merged...please do not keep starting new threads on the same issue.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Evening

It gets worse

I have been informed by a close friend that my employer has posted out letters stating I have left with immediate effect and am under investigation pertaining to my departure

This is news to me!!

Can they do this?

They have put me on Gardening Leave so am still an employee in the eyes of the law so does that now mean I do not have to abide by the Gardening Leave clause in respect to my notice period?

Help please

Evening

It gets worse

I have been informed by a close friend that my employer has posted out letters stating I have left with immediate effect and am under investigation pertaining to my departure

This is news to me!!

Can they do this?

They have put me on Gardening Leave so am still an employee in the eyes of the law so does that now mean I do not have to abide by the Gardening Leave clause in respect to my notice period?

Help please

I was only on gardening leave once, but I waited until the end of it before I started my new job.

Others here will know more than I do, but in your place I wouldn't rush to join the new firm.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum