Disciplinary - allegation made up by two junior staff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got disciplinary in a few weeks following an investigation that has taken over 6 months.

I'm manager for junior staff who work at multiple locations. Some I don't see for weeks on end. I went to visit one site and noticed a problem - I politely documented this and reminded the staff of their responsibilities and the correct procedure. To be honest, what they had done was not good so they did get off lightly. But it seems for some reason they did not like being told - so it filtered back to me.

Three weeks later I get called into my managers office and get told that two of them were alleging I have been discussing confidential information with them. The information in questions is subject to office rumours (which I have not discussed with anyone) but neither am I privy to any confidential information on the subject anyway. Also, to date, no-one has even provided a date when I am alleged to have done this - site visits are documented so I'd like to check if I was even on site when this alleged incident took place.

During the investigation, I highlighted the fact and provided evidence of the note I made at the time. It seemed obvious to me the reason why this complaint had been made.

But, its going to disciplinary now and these two people are witnesses. Employer is talking about gross misconduct and dismissal. Completely nuts to me that it can go this far based purely on the word of two people who, obviously have an axe to grind. Surely this is not on - otherwise it'd be open season for spurious complaints - get two people together and its a done deal!

Allied to the fact that this is no confidental info anyway.......

Must admit its been a shambles from start to finish. I'm concerned this will continue into the hearing and it'll go badly..... Union so far have been completely useless. What can I do next?

An allegation has been made about you by two individuals to the management of the company, the company is duty bound to investigate. I suggest that you support the process and give you side of the events.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

I'm already believeing them, not you, because of the disdain and defensiveness in your story.

Stick to the facts and don't embellish with opinion.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I've got to admit, I'm not sure why you think that it's wrong that two people shouldn't be treated to an assumption that they may be telling the truth. That is the point of the disciplinary - to try to determine what is most likely to have happened. If the employer is convinced by your version of events that you are telling the truth, then you will not be disciplined.

So what are you expecting the union to do? On the face of it the employer has done nothing wrong. A serious complaint had been made and they are holding a hearing to determine whether it is true or not. No union can stop that. Nor should they.