new job but can not work due to cost

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I started a new job on 17/05/17 and for this week of 4 shifts it has cost me over £80 in fuel, which was not expected, so i gave notice that i would not be continuing the employment, due to the costs, the response i got was will you work your 1 weeks notice as per contract.

I responded that i shall not be doing 1 weeks notice due to costs and we can not afford this.

The response from them is i will talk to our compliance department and get back to you regarding contracts etc.

Im still technically in training as they want me on certain areas I've never worked and would need training on.

the contract states that only if they terminate the employment would 1 weeks notice be given.

1.2 - the first 6 months of your employment shall be a probationary period and your employment may be terminated during this period at any time on one week's prior notice. we may, at our discretion, extend this period for up to a further 6 months. During this probationary period your performance and suitability for continued employment will be monitored. at the end of your probationary period you will be informed in writing if you have successfully completed your probationary period.

then in section 8

8.1 After successful completion of the probationary period referred to in clause 1.2 (above), the prior written notice required from you or the company to terminate your employment shall be one calendar month.

on direct gov website it says that only 1 weeks notice is needed after working there for 1 month.

Ok not received no wages and won't till June , I'm

Not expecting of them, but there whole attitude is horrible.

I offered to work closer to home for costs, but nothing.

I've not responded to last email.

I am pretty sure if you have only worked there for a month, then only a week's notice is required from you.

Did you not cost the fuel for your travelling to and from work prior to starting?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've be only been there since 17/05 less then a week and yeah we did, but didn't expect as much have been doingand was told possible work near home.

We just can't justify paying that much in travel

With less than a month's service there is no need to give a week's notice

Prob will deduct salary in lieu of Notice[/Quote]

They cannot deduct anything from pay for work completed - the employee would be entitled to receive the correct pay for all days work plus a very minimal amount for holiday accrued

Put your termination in writing stating the unexpected cost of travelling, and apologise profusely for not being able to give more notice, but this is due to the inability to afford travel

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 3 weeks later...

had a wage slip sent on 7/6 showing im getting 208 on the 12/6, then on the 9/6 had another wage slip showing they deducted training cost of 100 so only getting 108 on the 12/6.

Ive emailed them as this is below the minimum wage for the hours worked.

If you do owe this money - and I am making no comment on that because I don't know that you do - then the deduction is lawful. On a final salary to recover costs owed, the employer can deduct even the entire payment if that is what is owed - and still present a bill for any remainder. So the issue is whether you owe the money, and for that you'd have to explain how the cost was arrived at and what it was for (and whether you signed an agreement to repay it).

No money is owed, it was normal training like any new job, and it certainly didn't cost £100.

That is your opinion. Not what I asked you. Right now they have the money. Possession is 9/10 of the law. If you want to start a legal case to get that money back, then the issue is whether in law you owe them that money. Not whether you like it or not. So did you or did you not sign an agreement to repay training costs, and what were those costs for?

Dear oldboss,

from my final payslip I see there is a deduction of £x for training

Please can you provide a breakdown of that cost, and provide the signed training agreement that allows you to deduct that amount - I am afraid I do not remember signing one but I may have forgotten.

Kind regards,

Me

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Sent email just awaiting a response, only training cost signed which we have a copy is to say, if attend a training course then it's paid back, but did not attend a training course.

Just awaiting a response. Thank you