Overpaid Housing Benefit

montrose
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place but wondered if anyone could help me and let me know where i stand.

Today i received 2 letters from my local council about overpaid housing benefit .

First one is for £366.90 from 2005 and the second for £241.77 from 2008.

As these are both over 6 years old do i have to pay them?

Hi,

I've moved this thread to a more appropriate Forum, hopefully you will get some help shortly.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi

As with all benefits, the council could reclaim them from an existing award even if they are statute barred. They have you over a barrel if you do claim. If you don't claim any HB then they would usually farm them out to debt collectors to chase and when you tell them SB, they return it to the council.

If you have moved out of the local authority area and are under a new council, not much they can do.

Have you investigated how the overpayments arose. They must have the data as they are chasing.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

Thanks for answering. I haven't done anything yet as wasn't sure what to do.

Still living in the same house but haven't claimed any benefits for 8 years.

Should I contact the council?

You could tell them that the amounts are SB but they will come back and tell you that they will reclaim from any future award.

With HB overpayments, if you were unaware of the error nor could have been expected to know about the error AND it was the councils fault for the overpayment occurred then they should accept this and write the amount off however, if you had failed at any time to inform them of any change in circumstances then the overpayment could stand.

This happened to me a (long) while ago and I managed to get them to drop the claim as it was their fault.

What I would do is demand to see how the overpayment occurred and why they have taken so long to chase this. If the response is confusing or complete nonsense, you can instigate the complaints process. This puts the council in a difficult position as they would have to do a full search to get ll the details of the claims at the time.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE