• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

XS Direct 3k Total Excess - Worried regarding Debt Collectors

Jayden1994
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am not convinced the FOS will be helpful, without more information. See what you can get hold of and then you could present it to the FOS. But you would need to make the case to them properly.

See what you told on the comparison site and Insurers site when you bought the policy. I am not sure all sections excess is enough. It should tell you of a possible debt, as the excess also applies to third party claims.

Your Insurers may not take it to court, they normally sell these debts. But you should dispute as best you can and see what happens.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent you all the information I had relevant to excess, The only other thing was the recording of the sales call to confirm details.

They have requested I send them a blank CD so they can send me the recording back.

What should my next steps be to fight this as my insurers are chasing me for paperwork to continue the case but of course they are awaiting figures etc. What do you think I should do next?

Obviously I do not want them to cancel my policy as I only need to wait till the end of this month before I can swap, But they also mentioned if the debt is paid off I retain my no claims for the year... Wonder if that's the case if I dispute and win?

What paperwork ?

If it is asking you to confirm you will repay the Insurers how much they pay the third party, then you should NOT complete that.

Register a complaint with the Insurers that you believe the policy was sold to you on an unfair contract basis i.e no explicit warning of excess applying to third party claims and of a possible debt obligation by contract term, not explicitly mentioned when buying the policy.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Its an accident report form requesting certain pieces of paperwork from myself so they can "represent me to the best of their ability".

Link to what my claims handler is asking for: http://imgur.com/a/IB5na

So I register a complaint and does that automatically put the case on hold as they investigate further?

I take it I call XS Direct, my insurers handling the claim and not Insure Your Motor ?

Edited by Jayden1994

The sales call would be interesting to see the transcript to.

An "Official Complaint" and then a complaint to the FOS is worth considering, I do not believe the XS Direct sales via brokers / comparison sites has been tested yet and the complaint process and FOS is free for you to use. The FOS may well levy a charge of circa £500 to the agent which is non refundable eg they pay it whether you win or lose the case.

There is a small chance that XS Direct and / or the agent will not want to risk an FOS case as it then becomes public record for others in your position to see and although it does not always set a precident they tend to be very influence other Ombudsman adjudicators when dealing with similar cases. So the chance of a registered FOS complaint might mean they come up with a solution that you find acceptable before it gets to the Ombudsman stage. This is a fairly long shot.

Also bear in mind that the Insurance regulators and the Ombudsman regard the consumer as being uninformed about financial products so require Insurers to make very clear to the consumer what they are buying so they can make an informed decision.

I have seen a number of similar cases on various other forums and in each case contributers who work in the industry do not realise what an "All Sections Excess" actually is, so if insurance professionals do not understand it applies to third party claims then it is understandable that a consumer would not realise if they just see the legend "All Sections" next to the excess unless it is made clear it also applies to third party claims.

I suspect there is other paper work that we have not seen that explains that the excess applies to third party claims, it would be helpful if you have any such paperwork that you post it up so we get the full picture.

I am not saying you have a case, but if the policy has genunely been miss sold then you would have a reasonable chance of suceeding with a complaint to the FOS.

If you could post up all the paperwork you have been given, it is mainly the pre purchase paperwork that is important and what they told you on the phone.

Its an accident report form requesting certain pieces of paperwork from myself so they can "represent me to the best of their ability".

Link to what my claims handler is asking for: http://imgur.com/a/IB5na

So I register a complaint and does that automatically put the case on hold as they investigate further?

I take it I call XS Direct, my insurers handling the claim and not Insure Your Motor ?

When you complete the form, just provide the accident information known to you. Add a note to the form that you dispute the excess applying to third party claims as an unfair contract term, not explicity mentioned at point of sale. Complaint with referral to FOS if required.

In your policy wording, it should have a section about complaints and who to register this with. As it relates to the sale of the policy, perhaps you need to register this with Insure your motor with a copy to XS direct. If this excess is subject to a complaint, then in terms of XS trying to reclaim it from you, they will pause debt collection while a complaint is ongoing.

Hi

Once again thank you for all the info

In all the above posts I have attached every piece of paperwork relevant, the rest was regarding breakdown assistance and key cover and emails were solely from close brothers finance saying they can finance and will finance this premium. Everything I attached is all I got.

I am awaiting some blank cds to come from eBay as I was told from insure your motor that I need to post a CD to them so they can send me back the relevant phone transcript.

Bearing in mind all the above, I want to issue a complaint with either insure your motor or XS direct but I'm not sure which one to complain to at this point in time...?

Also from the attached in my last post my claims handler has given me till this Friday to provide the relevant paperwork if you saw otherwise they will issue a 7 day cancellation... I don't want my policy cancelled or course as this will mess my future quotes up will it not ?

I'm just not exactly clear what my next step is right now considering what I've been told in the above email. Do I issue the complain alongside the paperwork they've asked for and also mention I am considering a complaint to the FOS for the reasons above ?

Apologies for my inexperience and whether I'm asking what's already been answered

Thanks again

Kind Regards

I know it is a bit old fashioned and people are out of the habit of writing letters, but you are best to send a letter headed ' official complaint for FOS purposes'.

In your letter you just need to explain why you believe that the policy contract that has been sold is an unfair contract, because at the point of sale, it was not made explicitly clear the all sections excess includes third party liability claims.

In the event of a claim, this means that by contract XS direct are trying to obligate you into owing them a debt up to £3000.

You believe that such a term is unfair if it was not made explicity clear at the point of sale.

I think you need to send this to your brokers Insure your motor with a copy to XS direct.

Hey there

I am going to give my claims handler a call now as he is expecting the paperwork from the above form.

I am going to explain how I am unable to send them today as I am still scrambling around to get the paperwork together for what hes asked for.

Before that I will ring Insure Your Motor and explain the above about how I feel the quote was not explicitly clear enough regarding 3rd party excess and in the process has potentially put me into a debt issue up to the sum of £3000, I will also mention how I am considering an official complaint to the FOS as well if we can't resolve this.

I'll let you all know what happens, Thanks again

Kind Regards

I rang Insure Your Motor,

Explained the situation and my dispute as mentioned above

and from what you have all told me to say

and also added that I am considering a complaint to the FOS

but I wanted to try and resolve it with themselves first.

They immediately said they can send me a transcript of the call from sales point if I wanted

(even though prior I had been told I had to send a blank CD in and wait to receive it back with the file on)

and that they will now begin investigating it and will get back to me within a couple weeks maximum

(although they are allowed 8 weeks according the FOS regulations apparently).

They emailed my claims handler as well and so the whole excess part of the claim will be placed on a hold until they investigate it.

I'm waiting for him to get back from lunch

so I can give him a call myself

and explain to him myself what I've done etc,

Just so he can hear it from me personally.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks

Just see how it goes. If you arranged cover by phone and it was not explicitly mentioned that there was up to £3000 third party excess, then Insure your motor might have to see what the FOS says, if XS direct won't waive it.

CAG does not recommend dealing with complaints by phone, unless you are recording the conversation.

Yes. You always have to think from your perspective, how you would possibly send phone call conversations to the FOS or use them in court proceedings.

What happens when they sue you for £3k and you have to produce information to a court. You mention a conversation on a certain date, no call recordings are available.

Always better to have your own records, whatever company you are dealing with

How would I be able to send a letter and retain proof that I sent it, Via the post office ?

Apologies but I am extremely inexperienced in handling anything via post anymore

Obviously I would create a photocopy of the letter

Regards

Yep post office counters will give you a proof of posting slip.

The other alternative is an email to them. As long as you have something in writing.

you hand it over at the PO desk and get free proof of posting.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Alright I'll get that sorted then via email.

Just spoke with my claims handler as well to let him know even though Insure Your Motor informed him already I wanted to tell him personally, Not only did he sound like he did not care at all but also as if he was annoyed.

Anyways thanks all, I'll keep you updated

Kind Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

they wrote back to me and I will attach the letter within this post

but I am in state of shock and I am really panicking right now as I have no idea what my next step should be.

They outlined within the letter that they had explained the excess to me etc via the phone call at sales point and also sent me all documents I received and posted here and highlighted it wherever it said "all sections excess".

I am panicking as they sent the recording from sales point and the representative clearly says

"this applies to claims from third party individuals as well"

but because It was so much information to take in etc on the spot that he was explaining regarding excess my reply was simply

"Yea, I guess so" when he asked if I agreed as I didn't fully grasp what he meant and needed to insure my vehicle.

Letter I received rejecting dispute from Insure Your Motor: http://imgur.com/a/VCzPc

I'd like to hear what you guys think I should do at this point,

Do I still have a chance to complain to the FOS that these third party clauses are not explicitly and slowly explained partically to new drivers (which their target audience is mostly). I just cannot afford 3k worth of bills.

Any advice on my next steps would be greatly appreciated just as everything up to this point has been

Hope you are all well

Kind Regards

J

Ask for a copy of the call on a CD. Send them a CD for them to burn the call onto.

I think your complaint is difficult, because clearly you were not thinking you might owe XS Direct a debt of up to £3k if you had an accident and how you would pay it.

If you think about it, you would still win by going to the FOS, because it would buy you time, even if the FOS rejected your complaint.

Your complaint is that it is not explained that by taking out Insurance with an all sections excess, you are agreeing to taking on a debt of up to £3k simply by having an accident. There is no explanation of how such a debt would ever be managed by Insure your motor or XS Direct.

Most Policyholders in this situation of having an accident are not going to have savings of £3k, so in most cases there will be a debt.

You were never asked to sign any consumer credit agreement or other finance agreement related to a future possible debt.

The contract offered therefore seems to be missing an important element, which is a full explanation of treatment of debt in the event of an accident, where the policyholder is expected to pay up to £3k, which is not an insignificant sum.

That is how i would approach it. You can develop your complaint further later in the process, looking at ICOBS and Consumer Rights Act.

Given that you don't have £3k to hand at the moment, then why not take the complaint as far as you can with the FOS.

I don't think the Insure your motor letter is a final response (?), so send them a letter saying what i said above and that you would like the FOS to look at this further considering ICOBS and Consumer Right Act.

Yes they sent me the CD and I listened to it. Ok yea that makes sense. He does state in the letter that it is his final response on the matter as he views his decision as a just one. So shall I once again email them as I did before stating I will be filing a complaint to the FOS, Looking at ICOBS and the Consumer Rights Act?

How do I go about complaining through the FOS, Give them a call and explain my situation and what you stated above and take it from there with what they say?

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards

If the response is final, yes just start the FOS complaint process and let Insure your motor know that you are doing so.

With FOS, you can just complete the form on their site and post or email it to them. If you phone them, someone is trying to type what you are saying, so better to just complete the form, so you can make sure it is clear.

When you complain to the FOS, ask that they review the complaint looking at ICOBS and Consumer Rights Act in regard to selling you an Insurance that includes a future possible debt obligation without providing any information about how such a debt obligation might be administered. The contract is therefore unfair, as no alternative was offered without having this future debt obligation.

Could take months. Don't fall for the FOS fob off.

You might have a complaint handler try to refuse your complaint, purely on the basis you were told about the excess.

Ask that the complaint is escalated to an Ombudsman to address the debt obligation without explanation in regard to consumer credit and unfair terms.

Without advance information how would the Policyholder be in a position to decide whether to accept the contract, when an alternative was not offered.