• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
    • Hi DX - quick question, what is the bank likely to do when they get my letter of change of address ? also what is the worst they can do? thanks J1L
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

1st Credit/moon beever stayed claim - HBOS Credit Card - lifted stay now at DQ help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thx Andy - sorry - I know I sound ungrateful (!!!) its just I find this SO intimidating and 1st Credit really are going for the " jugular " and I shudder to think how much I will ahem to pay if they win this case !!!

Thank you so much again.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go book an appointment at the dentist far more scary than this.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

One Witness statement ...please check for accuracy...edit if it contains any errors and add dates.

Regards

Andy

Witness statement Lobster.pdf

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Andy - Thank you VERY VERY much indeed.

In all honesty I am a little out of my depth but will do my my best to present this defence and hopefully get the rigth result - thanks so much once again !!!!

One point you make about them not letting me know the debt has been signed to me - did they not write to me with that document ??

Finally , when they see this defence do you think there is a chance they may " give up " at this point without the need for a hearing or do you think they are so far down the road now that they will carry on ??

Thanks again Andy

Well you did upload the Notice of Assignment with their witness statement...whether you had received that I am unaware.....you did question the legality of assignment in your defence by requesting the Deed of Assignment.

It was difficult to draft this witness statement given the fact we still do not know the particulars of claim and what they are actually relying on on in their particulars...so a I had to surmise in parts.

If you did receive it remove the point re Notice of Assignment.

" Finally , when they see this defence do you think there is a chance they may " give up " at this point without the need for a hearing or do you think they are so far down the road now that they will carry on ?? "

Its a witness statement not a defence...you submitted your defence in 2015..as for whether they wish to discontinue..who knows we cant read the future...but your witnesses statement responds to the weaknesses and inadequacies of their statement and highlights points for the court to determine.

The bottom line is that the agreement is flawed and not valid to enforce with...you just have to convince the judge why..which your witness statement explains in detail.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Brilliant !!!

Many thanks again Andy.

I have managed to get the court date vacated and another one is to be listed after the 26th August as I am on holiday but of course will let you know the outcome ASAP.

Thank you once again for all your help in this matter.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you VERY much indeed again for everyones help in this matter and in particular Andy for very kindly helping me with my witness statement.

I am due in court on Wednesday and essentially i am going to explain to the court that I have never received a copy of the original agreement etc and as far a sI ma concerned what they have sent me so far is grossly inadequate - fingers crossed but whatever the result thanks once again.

Andy

Apologies for troubling you.

Thank you very much indeed for all you help with my court case with 1st Credit - I am in court tomorrow and of course I do feel a little nervous !!!

One are that I am slightly unsure about - !st credit have only sent me a " reconstructed agreement " and also no actual copy fa default - the fact that the original credit card was taken out BEFORE 2006 does that mean they can't do this OR will it be at the judges discretion ??

Essentially I am going to say that I don't owe the money and asked for a copy of the agreement which of course has never been provided ??

Does that make sense ??

Thanks once again for all you help.

Simply stick to the points contained within your witness statement......dont be saying you dont owe the money that is not the question or reason for defending the claim...simply challenging the assignee whether he can legally comply with the CCA1974 to be able to enforce the debt.

Depends on the calibre of district judge...some good some bad...some dismiss claims with no default notices or agreements some go with the balance of probabilities...so you will have to exercise your discretion in the early stages of the hearing to way up his approach.

As per above its very much at the judges discretion to allow enforcement...lets hope you get one that follows the letter of the law.

Best of luck for tomorrow Lobster and please update your thread.... whatever the the outcome..

Regards

Andy

Thx Andy - apologies for labouring this but the reconstructed agreement / pre 2006 - do I mention this ???

Will update as soon as I get back !!!!!!

Is it not covered in your witness statement ?

Many thx Andy - I will go through it all again later.

See paragraph 5 :wink:

Well I am " live " at the court and the judge has called an adjournment for the 1st credit solicitors to get a copy of the Carey case ???

I tried to put the point across that Carey was not relevant but clearly I didn't do it very well !!!

Any help in turning this around for me in the the few minutes would be greatly appreciated as the claimants are going to ask for interest as well !!!

I'm not 100% on this, better than nothing if everyone's busy,

even under Carey the agreement must be a true copy eg: name and address as at the time.

if the judge does accept it then pull them up on the same case law of the details missing.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pop up soon tho and good luck.

And also stress on the fact no default notice is present so its unenforceable under the section stated in your WS

Carey was with regards to complying with a section 77/8 request (CCA request)...not for enforcement purposes...also Cary was the Claimant not defendant..completely different scenario.

If he is adamant that he wishes to go with a reconstituted as stated above..point out that it must be a true copy ...names and addresses at the time of inception complete with terms and conditions at the time of inception...and if the agreement has ever been amended during its life then they cant use a recon.

Interest can be awarded but only at the discretion of the court....also it should be limited to 12 months and not necessarily 8%

So how did it go Lobster ?

They have not locked you up in the debtors prison ? :wink:

Firstly , apologies for the length of time updating the post - I would say I have been in shock !!!

Essentially , it was an unmitigated disaster !!!

Got to court and the lady representing 1st Credit asked me if I was interested in doing any kind of deal to settle - I actually thought this was quite encouraging and after it was clear they would be looking at around £1500 I thought I may as well take my chances.

There was one magistrate who I suppose I owed describe as " firm but fair " - the lady from 1st credit took around 10 minutes outlining their case that essentially I owed the money !!!

It was then my turn but before I spoke the magistrate asked me if I recognised the transactions on the credit card - I replied as it was nearly 17 years ago I GENUINELY had no idea - he then asked me did I accept that I had been making monthly payments over a period of time to reduce the debt which clearly I had and I agreed to this point.

I set out my defence that I felt a " reconstructed " agreement was not adequate and even then because my debt was pre 2006 then the Carey judgement was not relevant - I also made the point that no default agreement had been served.

The magistrate adjourned the hearing for maybe 20 mins to give him time to reference the Carey jusdgement and again at this point I tried to argue that it was relevant.

After 20 mins or so we came back and the magistrate said that he was going to " stand behind " the Carey judgement and I was ordered to pay the debt - interestingly the magistrate also agreed with 1st credit that they did NOT have to issue a default statement as I had not paid the 2% of the debt each month and therefore was in default anyway ??

In the end I have to pay approx £500 in court fees as well as interest on the debt brining the total bill to nearly £2500 which I have to pay within 14 days and frankly can't so now my credit rating will be rubbish again after I have tried to claw things back over the last few years or so.

Once again thanks for all the help form everyone on this board and I fully appreciate everyone's best intentions but from my personal experience I would urge anyone in a similar situation to me ( I have no doubt companies like 1st credit will no web looking round at " stayed " cases and try to gain judgements from these cases ) to be careful with the decisions they make.

The bottom line is that I could have agreed to pay 1st credit £5 a month for what would essentially be the rest of my like (!!) - I accept not a great scenario but a far far better one than having to pay £2500 in 14 days ??

I firmly believe ( and of course my personal experience suggests this ) that sometimes you have to " know when you are beaten " and going to court against these companies who are very experienced in these type of cases is only going to end one way ??

Many thanks indeed again and I hope people can gain some insight into my experience.

You dont have to pay £2500 in 14 days...simply submit an N245 to vary it to an affordable monthly payment...if that works out as £5 from the completed I&E so be it....thats all they get.

Andy

Thats true but that also means a CCJ which in turn means 6 years or so of no credit or at best VERY expensive credit - I know some people will say great no credit but the bottom line is if you want to hire a car , buy " stuff " (!) and generally run your life then sensible , affordable credit really is essential.

I could have paid £5 a month with no CCJ - that was my point.

Please don't think I am blaming anymore - at the end of the day I only have myself to blame for getting into this situation in the first place BUT I would strongly urge people to do deals with these companies outside of the court system - more and more of these cases will now be happening as clearly its very lucrative for companies like 1st credit ??

Of course form a " moral " point of view maybe it is wrong - they have " resurrected " a 14 year old debt which i have no doubt they paid around £50 for and turned it into £2500 - marvellous and great for them ??

I actually don't blame 1st Credit anymore than I blame Wonga - clearly they are " disgusting " companies who don't care about the misery they inflict upon people in order to gain profit but I blame the government for allowing them to do it ??

As I said before I should have done a deal with them BEFORE going to court and I would urge others to do the same.

Well there are numerous ways of looking at it with what ifs and buts...if you had not defended you would have got a CCJ anyway in 2014.You clearly thought you had a good chance of defence otherwise as you state you did decline their offer.

" I thought I may as well take my chances. "

You was not aware that the District Judge was hopeless and would go along with their counsel and be misled by the legislation.....another day another judge and it could well have been dismissed.

Then you would have posted telling everyone to stick by the defence and fight it all the way...so its swings and roundabouts...we cant win them all but we do win most.

Andy

Very frustrating indeed ...but it is what it is and now you regroup and finalise payment arrangement ...do this ASAP and get it progressed before the claimant considers further options to execute the judgment.

Having A CCJ on your credit file is not the end of the world...believe me there are alternative ways...its just that the media and CRAs would have you believe otherwise.

too many District judges act as if they are clueless, a situation dispicable to the non justice system for those who have no funds to argue thru a barrister etc silly arguments, the whole system is biased and the sooner people get off their butts and protest then more will suffer at the hands of the devil in power, regulator could not regulate a Pxxx up in a brewery. overpaid DJs £112000 per year,

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: