Bank Account Frozen? Bank won't tell me anything

kerryscribe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2556 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help. I'm at my wits end.

On Wednesday last week the police turned up at my house and arrested me on suspicion of fraud. (A complaint made by my sister and about which I was interviewed on Saturday - I've done nothing wrong and hopefully that is what the result will be)

On Thursday morning my Housing Benefit was paid into my account and I was able to use my account. By Thursday afternoon the money had vanished. I couldn't get hold of my bank immediately so I transferred my savings (only £100) into the account - assuming it was just an error - so I could pay for the food shopping. That money has never arrived either.

I contacted the bank Thursday PM and was told the money was there, it was just 'not transactable' and they couldn't tell me why. Friday was bank holiday. I called again Saturday and was told the same thing. Then two more closed days. I called again this morning and was told the same thing and my child benefit that should have gone in this morning has now also not arrived. (well it has, I just can't access it)

Strangely the balance that was already on the account was untouched and I was able to use that. (only about £50 which has now gone)

I'm a single mum and it's the school holidays. I haven't been able to do any food shopping, take my son out, or anything and I'm now down to my last £8 with all my bills to pay.

I have no idea what to do! No one will tell me anything. Has this come from the police? Is this something the bank have done by themselves? I have almost completely run out of food now and I have no idea what I'm going to do to feed my son.

Can anyone shed any light?

Bank won't tell you anything, as they are not allowed, if the account has been frozen due to notice by Police and/or court order.

Speak to the Police about this.

If you need access to emergency funds to buy food and essentials, then apply for a crisis loan from DWP.

If bills cannot be paid on time due to a banking issue, them advise the companies you owe money to, that there will be a delay until the bank resolves it. You don't need to say anything about fraud issue. Just say it is a banking issue they need to resolve.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your reply!

Do the police not need to tell me they have done this?

Yes, after it has been done. Not before, because money might get taken out or transfered.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you need access to emergency funds to buy food and essentials, then apply for a crisis loan from DWP.

Except in the most unusual of circumstances, any crisis loan would normally be paid in to the claimant's bank account. If the account has been frozen, the OP needs to make the DWP aware of this and make alternative arrangements.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi, I'm hoping someone here will be able to help. I'm at my wits end.

On Wednesday last week the police turned up at my house and arrested me on suspicion of fraud. (A complaint made by my sister and about which I was interviewed on Saturday - I've done nothing wrong and hopefully that is what the result will be)

On Thursday morning my Housing Benefit was paid into my account and I was able to use my account. By Thursday afternoon the money had vanished. I couldn't get hold of my bank immediately so I transferred my savings (only £100) into the account - assuming it was just an error - so I could pay for the food shopping. That money has never arrived either.

I contacted the bank Thursday PM and was told the money was there, it was just 'not transactable' and they couldn't tell me why. Friday was bank holiday. I called again Saturday and was told the same thing. Then two more closed days. I called again this morning and was told the same thing and my child benefit that should have gone in this morning has now also not arrived. (well it has, I just can't access it)

Strangely the balance that was already on the account was untouched and I was able to use that. (only about £50 which has now gone)

I'm a single mum and it's the school holidays. I haven't been able to do any food shopping, take my son out, or anything and I'm now down to my last £8 with all my bills to pay.

I have no idea what to do! No one will tell me anything. Has this come from the police? Is this something the bank have done by themselves? I have almost completely run out of food now and I have no idea what I'm going to do to feed my son.

Can anyone shed any light?

Bank won't tell you anything, as they are not allowed, if the account has been frozen due to notice by Police and/or court order.

Another (possible) scenario in which the bank won't tell you anything is if the bank have had a suspicion of money-laundering made ; was this a possible feature of the allegation made?.

If so, then the bank are required to report possible money laundering, and are forbidden to discuss such a report (under penalty of prosecution for 'tipping off').

I'm not saying this is the case, but if an allegation of money-laundering / use of the account for proceeds of crime had been made, then this could result in the situation the OP has described.

Thank you all for your responses.

I've tried the crisis loan as mentioned, but by all accounts this was stopped and isn't something the DWP offer any more.

They can't possibly suspect the account of money laundering - all that ever goes in and out are my tax credits, housing and JSA and my bills/rent going out.

I'm sure this must have something to do with the police as the timing is too coincidental but no-one will give me an answer.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

What complaint has your sister made?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

1) If you have any failed direct debits due to this issue, then the direct debit guarantee should stop you from facing any charges for failed payments.

2) The crisis loan from the DWP is no longer but some local authorities have a discretionary fund that local residents can access. The team that administer housing benefits would probably know whether such a fund exists where you are.

3) The odd thing about the bank account freeze is that the police/bank would be able to scroll through the OP's transaction history quite quickly. If the investigation is dragging on it does beg the question whether any illicit funds or activity has been happening in the account. Sometimes these things can happen without the knowledge of the account holder.

4) Maybe take your son to the police station and ask them to provide him with some meals. Sounds a bit drastic but maybe it would speed up their response.

5) Have you contacted your local Food Bank?