Do I need a reciept

jimmyx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6356 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Quick questio: I purchased a DVD recorder from Dixons for a xmas pressie for mother last year, now it had gone wrong and I do not have the reciept.

I did purchase it on a credit card.

Do I need proof of purchase for them to repair?

Thanks in advance

You need some form of proof of purchase for the item (they like to know you actually brought it from them). However this does not have to be in the form of a receipt. As no company legally have to supply you with a receipt, you don't have to provide one.

Ask currys.digital as companys do generally take credit card statements as some form of proof.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Although nearly a year has passed, the retailer may argue that the goods have failed through use, rather than as a manufacturing fault, so be prepared to have a small fight on your hands - although, suffice to say, a DVD recorder is built to last more than a year.

If the purchase was over £100, and it was bought on a credit (not debit) card, you also have protection under the Consumer Credit Act to claim a refund from the credit card provider, as they are also liable for the quality of the product bought.

If Currys put up a brick wall, then get in touch with the credit card company. A few of the posts here state that the people get fobbed off because they are not aware of their obligations. However, you DO have protection under Section 75 of the aforementioned act, which states that if the goods are not worthy or have a fault then you can claim against them.

If it's under a year old, you also have the manufacturer's guarantee, in which they will repair/replace the item for you. Might be worth going down this route, as it may be less hassle and they will have no excuses not to do something for you - everyone knows the manufacturer's guarantee is a year from the date of purchase!

• Haha 1

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

But if you try to bypass the retailer by going to the manufacturer, they will tell you to go to the retailer, as it them you have a contract with. Meanwhile, especially if you're near the 1 yr "deadline", precious time is slipping by.

Furthermore, manufacturers, since they don't have a contract with you, the purchaser, are not held by SOGA, which means they have no obligation to do anything if you do not go through the retailer.

Botton line, and I can not stress this enough, is that your contract is with the retailer, and your rights can and should exercised under that contract. If the retailer argues, you argue back and do not let them erode your statutory rights. :rolleyes:

Having read some 'less than favourable' comments on here about the general lack of knowledge about a consumer's rights under the SOGA by shop staff, (and some personal knowledge as well), I would be prepared for a 'fob off' (or is it more properly described as a 'sod off'?) from Dixons.

As Bookworm has said, your contract as a consumer is most definitely with the supplier (Dixons) and the manufacturer/wholesaler/distributor is quite likely to merely refer you back to the supplier if you approach them directly.

Because, as you say, the one year-since-purchase date is close, I would also back up any personal approach in writing too so that, if it comes to it, you can prove the fault occurred within the first year. Maybe even, approach Consumer Direct and 'register' the fault with them too.

As you bought the DVD player on a credit card, approach them as well now so that your complaint is registered within the year. If Dixons are not helpful, the credit card company will be able to exert pressure for you too.

Jimbo 44 - always happy to help, but always willing to learn from being corrected too!!! Whilst any advice given may be based upon personal experience, please always be sure you seek guidance from a professional in the particular field.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, but a large group of professionals built the Titanic.

A 'click' on the scales is always appreciated if I have helped. Many Thanks!