Part Life, warranty only 1 year?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

2 and a half years ago i entered into a lengthy battle with Vauxhall over the "Horn that doesnt Warn" story on watchdog, where by when the lights are on the horn failed to operate. Obviously certain circumstances had to happen for the horn not to work, but eventually they issued a recall.

As i wasnt the first owner and my car was at the time 9 years old they did try and swerve their responsibilities, however after much to and fro and me providing evidence of what they said and also giving evidence such as field bulletins etc they agreed to replace the CIM (Faulty part) and wiring harness and install a clamp to prevent the wires moving causing the same issue.

Fast forward 2 years 1/2 years down the line and the horn again doesn't work again. Ive had the car plugged in by a friend who cannot see any CIM faults registered on the system. We have done a horn self test on the program which works fine, which again would suggest that the CIM is to blame.

The CIM - Column Integrated Module only as a dial that moves with the steering wheel, the rest of the device is electrical. Surely a device like this shouldn't fail again so soon, especially if the recall repair has been done right. I know with SOGA you are covered for 5 years, however where would I stand like this, as in my opinion it should not fail this soon. If you google Zaifra CIM or Astra CIM you will see the device is basically controls your immobiliser, Horn and steering controls (which still operate)

Have you told Vauxhall that it has given up the ghost again? They probably wont be doing the work for free but should be able to arrange that some of the cost is met by them if you take it to a Vauxhall dealership to sort out by prior arrangement

How did you pay for the original replacement module? It seems to me that you didn't, so if you didn't actually pay them anything how could they be held liable for is failing?

Vauxhall parts warranty is 12 months for their customers who pay for the part. How can you be sure that your 11.5 year old car doesn't have some underlying issue that's causing the modules to fail?

Good luck with the SOGA route, which will be difficult without the S.