• Tweets

• Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ruth vs NatWest - not sure what next??

msrlmoss
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

At the beginning of October I started the process of getting my charges back from NatWest.

It was my husband's idea! I get quite nervous about money issues after years of paying back debts and the like and avoiding calls from debt collectors. I wouldn't have had the courage to do it except for the fact I am pregnant with our first and am doing it so I can actually have some cash to allow me to spend some time off work when he is born!

Anyway, I was expecting they'd owe me about £500. It was just over £2k when I got my bank statements back!

I wrote the first letter on 12th Oct, which is very kindly included in the templates here, and heard nothing, so wrote the letter before action. (I know it should only have been fourteen days but I was well busy in work and left the LBA until 3 November).

I'm a little unsure as what to do now though, as I got home today and found a letter from NatWest offering me £405 back. They want it as a full and final settlement of course, but I want all the money; £405 won't even pay off my overdraft and I want to be debt free when I'm on maternity leave.

I have seen the letter saying that I accept it but only as a partial payment, but this is the problem:

The letter says that I should also point out that they were given 14 days before I'd claim in court in my LBA.

However, the LBA was sent on 3rd November, so it runs out today, as it were.

It seems a bit pointless sending a letter saying, "I'll have the money, but as a partial refund, and by the way your time's up anyway so I'm claiming at court today as well", if you know what I mean.

Do you think I should give them another 14 days to reply? I'm not sure what to do now!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello msrlmoss,

You already gave them 14 days on your LBA... This is now time to step up to the next stage and get on MCOL or go to your local Court and fill in a N1... Check the threads and template to get you particulars of claim right.

Good luck to you...

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

I've just filed my court claim on MCOL this week if you need help.

The POC is in the templates bit and also check the FAQ's.

I issued my MCOL on Monday - 5 days for it to be deemed served (that will be tomorrow) then they have 14 days to acknowledge it.

Am just ahead of you if you need any moral support:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Hi bigredbus & bustle!

It is just that it seems a bit silly for them to have at least given me a partial refund, and then me go and take them to court straight away rather than say "thanks but er, no thanks, give me what you owe me" and give them, say, another fourteen days?

Bustle do you have to pay in advance (I would be paying £120 'cos I'm claiming just over £2k) when you file the claim? And do you put this in a letter to the bank, that you'll be claiming back the costs? Honest I have looked at the FAQs but I think I'm being a bit simple! Also, did they offer you a part refund?

Thanks,

msmoss x

You can file MCOL now. There is no need to inform the bank or write to tell them that they need to add the fee to the charges - I didn't.

The courts will notify the bank.

Yes you pay beforehand with a debit or credit card - you get this back once the bank settle as I understand.

You track the progress of the claim online and keep an eye on the post for letters, etc from the courts and Cobbetts. There are templates for any responses in the library section.

Early days for me yet so really a waiting game at the moment to see if they acknowledge within 14 days after being served, if they don't I can file a judgement but will need to read around the forum so I know what to expect over the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, should really have read through the whole thing in the FAQs 'cos I missed the bit where you have to say when your account opened. I had my account with NatWest since I was a kid, I don't remember, I take it I'll have to ask the bank tomorrow, seeming as I can't phone them ever since I forgot my password for telephone banking!

Hi msrlmoss,

Following your thread... Good luck to you... Once filed, count 5 days for it to be deemed served, then another 28 days for Natwest lawyers to file their defence... Meanwhile they might offer you approx 50% of your claim in about 3 weeks time. Accept as a partial settlement only, reminding them that you'll pursue in Court for the remainder!

Good luck again!

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi Littlesally I am in full time employment with no benefits so have to pay, but it is a small price compared to the amount I'll get back (fingers crossed!!)

Bigredbus, I went to Natwest today to find out when my account was opened so tonight it's back to MCOL to do the deed! Will keep you posted!

Well.... the saga continues.

I went onto MCOL and put in the claim, paying £120 out of course. I also wrote a letter, just prior to that, saying basically "thanks but only if it's a partial settlement" to the £450 odd they were offering.

Claim was deemed served on Friday 1st December.

Anyway, this morning, I received a letter from NatWest, offering me £1,347. If you take the £120 out of that (as that came out of my account) that's £1,227. That'd pay off my £1,000 overdraft and give me £227 for Xmas prezzies and baby stuff.

It's very tempting! Of course my husband thinks I should press ahead with the claim, but here's my question for which I want a really honest response.

Just to explain my situation a little, I'm five and a half months pregnant and should really be avoiding anything stressful. What I want to know is, for what is essentially an extra £800, how stressful is it going to be from this point in? I've read some of the stories, some people seem to have really gone through the wringer with threats from Cobbetts and closing down accounts and the like. I know it sounds cowardly and if I wasn't in "my condition" (how 1940's does that sound? :)) I wouldn't even be thinking about taking this offer.

What are my chances of getting the remaining money back without too much stress?

Also, if I did decide to accept their offer, is there any chance of me getting my £120 back from the court?

I seem to be in the same sort of boat as you to some extent. My OH is also five and a half months pregnant, and if she had her way I would have accepted the previous offer of around 50% of what I'm claiming.

I wouldn't say it gets overly stressful, more exasperating, just when you think Cobbetts are gonna miss a deadline they get their response in right at the last minute. They've just done it again yesterday by returning their AQ.

I havn't received any sort of threat about bank account closure by any means, although this could be as I have a personal loan with them and they are insisting that all payments can only come from that account, but thats another story.

I think it would be well worth your while to hang in there and go for the full amount, you probably wont get paid out this side of Xmas if you choose to carry on, but it will be a bigger payout when it comes. Don't forget that now you've filed your claim through the courts you're claiming the 8% also, and this is going up daily. The longer Cobbetts put off settling, the more you'll get.

Stick with it!!

• Haha 1

IF MY COMMENTS HAVE HELPED PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Don't be like the banks - give a little back

:D NAT WEST - WON - £4282.36:D

Thanks deller1, The way I see it, I know this sounds like a cop out but I'm going to press ahead for now, but keep hold of the letter from NatWest. If it does all get far too stressful, I may capitulate and take the money. I'm also telling the hubby that he can take on the majority of the stress (I've been threatening, half joking, to sign my account over to him for ages; I know many people might be horrified by that but tbh my accounts such a nightmare that he would prefer not to touch it with a six foot bargepole!) as really he is the one who wants to press ahead. Since when did being pregnant turn people into such cowards? Ah well! ;-)

With the offer letter, was there a deadline for accepting the amount?

No, there wasn't a deadline, but I changed my mind anyway, I want to go through with it now! What changed my mind? Well, I got a bank statement through for November and because I went a whopping great four quid, a whole day, yes, a massive great twenty four hours before I got paid, NatWest are charging me TWENTY EIGHT QUID for it! I got so completely ANGRY that I thought sod it, I'm going to go through with this!!! Fickle aren't I? I blame the hormones ;-)

You're pregnant and getting worried about this. You should really go to town with NW. Go and get a note from your doctor saying this is causing you distress. Submit it as evidence and claim compensation at the discretion of the judge. I believe somewhere in the region of £200 is standard.

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

Tip my scales if you like my advice :)

I'm really glad you've decided to go all the way, the banks deserve everything they're getting, and we deserve all our money back.

Kateandpete, do you really think that I could do that :o, do you know how I would go about it at all, I mean, where I would send the doctor's note to? It certainly is stressing me out!! But I want to stick with it because the more I get back from NatWest, the longer I can afford to take maternity leave for, if you know what I mean.

Deller1 I just had a moment of cowardice I think! ;)

OK this is a bit of a read, so sit down and get a cuppa.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/22995-vodafone-default-removal-distress.html

This guy claimed distress at £400 per account. And he didn't have supporting evidence like a doctor's note. They paid.

At this point i reiterate my disclaimer... i am not a lawyer, i'm a clueless idiot and you don't need to take my advice. That said....

I have just spoken to my father-in-law, who is a GP. He says that he and most GP's would be more than willing to write a note for the court. He did warn that some may not, so choose a sympathetic doc. Take it down to your local friendly county court and ask them to add it to the supporting evidence of your claim. Ask to amend your particulars of claim - THIS WILL COST YOU about £35 :( (but of course claim this back from the bank).

Add a paragraph to your particulars of claim, something along the lines of, "The claimant is pregnant at the present time and claims the amount of £400, or such an amount that the court deems just, for distress caused. The Claimant submits evidence from her General Practitioner substantiating this."

Don't forget to copy your doc's note and new particulars of claim, one for yourself, send a copy of all this to Cobbetts informing them that the amount you require for settlement has increased. ;)

As for the amount, £400, £800, £2,000,000,000. What ever you think IS just. Both you and I know that they ain't never going to defend and will pay you what you ask.

Bon chance! :)

• Haha 1

NatWest Charges: £3708.81. Allocated to fast track 14/10/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 23/10/06 5% donation made

HSBC Default Removal and £186 charges: N1 claim issued 28/11/06 *WON* 28/02/07 5% donation made

Egg Charges: £370. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/01/07 5% donation made

Natwest Student: £150. N1 claim issued 24/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 10/12/06 5% donation made

Natwest Credit card: £317.01 INCLUDING CONTRACTUAL INTEREST, *WON* 30/11/06 5% Donation Made

Ikano Data Protection Act deception and non-complience: N1 claim issued 28/11/06. *SETTLED IN FULL* 12/12/06 5% donation made

I am not a lawyer. All advice is merely my own opinion. Nevertheless, I've won £4675 so far!

I'm not sure how you amend a particulars of claim on MCOL, I'm afraid. My suggestion would be to ring up and ask. Whenever i've needed to talk to the court it's already been transferred to my local one and i've just wandered in.

I would think MCOL would have some contact details. Otherwise you could try calling Northampton CC. That's where it's administered from. They'll probably send you a form as you won't be local.

Let us know how you get on and good luck with the impending sprog. Ours are 10 and 4 now so not so little :(

• 3 weeks later...

You should have a date deemed served. Then they will (probably) file a defence in around 28 days from that date, or settle. If they don't you win by default.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007