• Tweets

• Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
    • At a key lecture in the City of London, the shadow chancellor will also vow to reform the Treasury.View the full article
    • Despite controversy China's Temu is becoming a global online shopping force.View the full article
    • The retailer has come under fire for an advert showing motorcyclists wearing trainers and doing wheelies.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

RCP Regional Crime Prevention (Magazine) advert scam

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am looking for some advice/information on behalf of my son.

He has a small window cleaning business. He has also had learning difficulties all of his life, but gets by with a little (lot really!) of help from us.

Every so often I check his bank account (Yes, I have his full knowledge and consent) to try and make sure he is managing his money OK and check for 'odd' transactions as he is quite susceptible to being [problem]med, basically he will sign up for anything anybody tells him to.

I recently noticed a Direct Debit for £58.00 to a company called RCP Media. I asked him about this and he told me he had been telephoned by this company a couple of months ago. They claimed to be working closely and tirelessly with various crime prevention agencies and were looking for "honest" business's like his to advertise in their "Widely distributed" magazine. They wrapped him around their little finger and he 'jumped' at the chance to have an advert with such a distinguished magazine, particularly as being in this magazine would show he is a trusted business and the vulnerable and elderly would be confident in using his services.

Shortly after this phone call (a few days) they sent him an email showing his 'advert' with a price tag of £174.00. He is unable to find this email (probably deleted knowing him) but the gist of the email was: This is your advert, the fee is £174 to be paid within 14 days (no exceptions). If you want to change the advert (free of charge) reply to the email stating your requirements. Additionally, whilst we can change the advert before print, you are now obligated under contract and the advert can't be cancelled and must be paid for.

He explained he could not afford that amount (this is true, he lives (much to our annoyance) off his small overdraft). They agreed on a three month payment plan. He has paid twice so far with the third payment overdue. I was going to telephone them today and pay the outstanding amount, but decided to look (or try to) further into this.

I have found a couple of sites that seem related and they all claim this is a [problem]. I have asked around, he has also asked many of his customers, if they have ever seen this magazine and specifically his advert and nobody has ever heard of or seen this magazine. They sent him a copy to show his advert was live. I can see this magazine on their website, minus his advert. So it seems the only advert for his business is in the only magazine that exists (his copy).

Alarm bells are doing overtime. I think this is a [problem]. They make it plain on the back of their invoice that this MUST be paid. Late fees of £35 will be added if not paid on time.

I was wondering if anybody else reading this has had any dealings with this company or knows anything about this company. I am not comfortable with this, but at the same time, if he "HAS" to pay this or end up with CCJ or other problems I'd rather not allow it go that far. I just feel mad at him and even more mad with this company who seem on the face of it very genuine, but with no sign of this advert and their pushy tactics I think there is more to this.

Sorry for the lengthy post and hopefully somebody will know something about this business.

The website can be googled. Search for RCP Regional Crime Prevention. Looks like a genuine site, but I guess that's the idea.

https://www.rcpcrime.com/home

https://twitter.com/RCPCRIME1

https://www.facebook.com/rcpmagazine/

Thanks.

There are loads of these magazine advert fleecers threads here

Its a well known spoof

Go get his money back from the bank

There are no instances of any court cases

As they don't want their dirty laundry in front of a judge

If you look up the directors names etc

You'll probably find they have 'form' over many years under various names for doing the same

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suppose that if you just want a an easy life and call it a lesson learned then you could pay the final instalment and then call it a day.

On the other hand, you could refuse to pay the final instalment but I suppose you will then get all sorts of threats and if your son has difficulties then he may find it a bit stressful to deal with.

How did he pay the first two instalments?

Please would you post up the links to the other places where this company is referred to.

In fact there seems to be several similar schemes going at the moment all to do with crime prevention.

Here's one

https://thecrimepreventionwebsite.com/b/1279/crime-prevention-news/2015/aug/04/businesses-be-careful-about-unsolicited-calls-to-place-adverts/

There are several others. I suppose it could easily be the same team

https://www.ncpa.tv/

Thanks for getting back.

All the links that are posted are the ones that I found as well, doesn't look good.

He has paid twice via Direct Debit. For some reason they phone him each time before payment for him to agree payment. In my experience, all my direct debits are automatically taken and I am not contacted by companies to take a direct debit before they take it, they just take it. This is a strange way to take the money and I wonder (possibly incorrectly) that him giving permission every time they want money somehow covers their backs should a claim for a refund be chased.

What is obvious is this magazine does not exist and the only copy is the one they sent him. Even the online version of his magazine has his advert removed. The internet tab I open the online version in says "RCP2_MAG_2015". So it seems the magazine they sent him with his advert was made in 2015.

Really torn as I know this is a [problem], but of course, paying and making this go away would be easier and less stress. As long as it goes away. They seem the type to push this to the limit. Really angry about this. I am constantly telling my son to divert ALL these types of calls to me so I can tell them where to go.

As DX said, they are most unlikely to go to court.

If you decide to withhold the last payment then you may as well go the whole hog and invoke the direct debit guarantee on the basis that you have been subject to a trick.

If they start coming on heavy about it then as long as you are prepared to support your son then I expect things will be okay and of course we will help you here.

Whereabouts in the country are you based? Don't forget that if they want to sue – for this rather small amount, they will be obliged to come to your local court. And as has already been said, they are most unlikely to sue.

Whatever you do, start taking lots of screenshots of everything so that you can show that there are no adverts and also so that you can show all the other complaints et cetera which have been made.

If you have a Facebook account, you could post on their timeline – and it will be amusing to see how quickly your post is removed – or doesn't appear at all.

You could also spread the word. It's important that other people are warned about this kind of thing.

Although it won't help you specifically, you could reported to Action Fraud and also to citizens advice and asked them to pass on to Trading Standards.

If you draw Action Fraud's attention to some of the prevention sites which seem to be using photographs of police officers and seem to be associating themselves with the police, you may find that Action Fraud might take a little more interest than usual.

You know what, for his sake and my sanity, I'm going to push back. My son has done well to get where he is and he won't be able to deal with this but I'm going to.

We live in Wales. The direct debit guarantee. So I would (or my son more like it) apply to the bank for a refund based on we feel this is a [problem]? is there a time limit for a refund as it's been just under a couple of months ago when the first payment was made.

I've already reported this via Action fraud and have emailed my local Trading Standards which can hopefully get involved.

Thanks again

If you have a crime reference number from action fraud then this will help enormously with the direct debit guarantee.

If there is a time limit then don't worry, only a couple of months – you are well within.

Make sure that you invoke the direct debit guarantee in writing – or if you do it on the phone then record the call and confirm in writing.

Don't expect your bank to be helpful or very enthusiastic about giving you any support.

Personally I applaud you wanting to push back. More people should do it. It amazes me that consumers allow themselves to be kicked around so much by [problematic], banks, debt collectors, mobile phone companies, utilities companies and the rest of the money grabbing bully boys.

They need bullying back. This forum was started to do just that and to help people push back.

OK. Just re-checked his bank account and the payments were not Direct debit. It says "POS" which I think must be a debit card payment, which I suppose explains why they telephone for each payment.

That being the case, is there a way to claim this money back from the bank?

I also told my son to order a new card to be sure that they can't take any more from him as I would think that is the only sure way.

You will have to try a chargeback.

You can expect your bank to be even more unhelpful. Look up chargeback on the Internet.

If you have a crime number and it will help enormously.

I think POS means Point of Sale.

In terms of ordering the new card, you need to make sure that the bank is told that the card is compromised so that you don't get one with the same number. Make sure you confirm everything in writing.

go ring his bank

tell them you want to do a chargeback on the first payment

and a continuous payment authority cancellation and a refund of the CPA's already taken.

cancelling hid card WILL NOT STOP THE CPA YOU MUST INSTRUCT THE BANK TO CANCEL IT.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for the advice.

Speaking about threats, my son had his first one by email off them dated Feb 13th but only now he noticed it.

It says, "Further to our previous correspondence, [never had any previous letters from them] we write in respect of your unpaid debt of £58.00.

This amount should now be settled immediately or we will instruct our recovery agent forthwith. Our agent will make additional charges to your costs and this action may affect your credit rating in the future.

To avoid said action, we require an immediate payment in full or against your balance.

Please do not hesitate to contact ourselves on 0333 443 2227 if we may be of any assistance at this time."

Email address is from an i8sl .co .uk account. (john burke)

Also, Trading Standards emailed me and said they would very much like to speak to me on the phone tomorrow. Hopefully, they will be able to do something here.

Cheers.

Edited by tyrion435

go ring his bank

tell them you want to do a chargeback on the first payment

and a continuous payment authority cancellation and a refund of the CPA's already taken.

cancelling hid card WILL NOT STOP THE CPA YOU MUST INSTRUCT THE BANK TO CANCEL IT.

OK, thanks for that.

they cant add charges and the cant effect credit rating.

trading standards and the FOS/FCA/ICO would love to see that email

and they

I have spoken to my local Trading Standards a short while ago.

They were very nice and were pretty much 99.9% certain this is a rip-off. I am 100%. They quoted much of the links already in this thread and said they see this type of rip-off a lot. They apparently have found information going back to 2010 on the net.

The company changes names or websites and often telephone numbers etc or operates under different websites at the same time. Trading Standards say they just use numbers (0800,03 etc) linked to their mobiles. They have emailed the local Trading Standards for the area where these pieces of work operate, hopefully that will turn something up.

My son and his mother have just gone to the bank again as my son just cancelled his card and didn't make it plain he thinks he has been defrauded. Hopefully they will come from there with a full refund (at banks discretion apparently).

Either way, I almost paid these the last £58 yesterday but now am more determined to stop any more of my sons money feeding these lot and hopefully posting here will help others in a similar situation. I'll keep the thread updated for that sake and thanks for the help so far!

Edited by tyrion435

Quite right,

which is why I said in the post just before yours,

"My son and his mother have just gone to the bank again as my son just cancelled his card and didn't make it plain he thinks he has been defrauded".

Which is why they went back to the bank,

to make sure further payments were cancelled.

As it was,

the branch couldn't do anything,

instead giving us a number to ring, which I did.

They have made sure no further payments will be taken and have refunded the two payments in full!

They did however caution that should the company (if you can call it that)

could "prove" there is a valid contract and goods/services were supplied

then they can retake the money from his account

(the bank that is, and give it back to the company).

I'll watch for that and if need be send what evidence I have along with the crime reference number, but we'll wait and see.

RCP telephoned his mobile yesterday being all 'nice', requesting the final payment.

He told them he was not paying it for the reason he believes this is fraud.

They went on to tell him that the debt collectors will be instructed and will now cost him considerably more (charges etc).

As dx100uk stated they can't do that, why is that btw?

He told them that he had spoken to his local authorities and they couldn't get off the phone quick enough.

The guy on the phone did not defend the company whatsoever, just hung up at the mention of Trading Standards.

Thanks again for all your help, I'll keep this updated.

:)

DCA's are not bailiffs

And have no legal powers whatsoever

and they

• 8 months later...

I have had a call from RCP on 13 Dec saying I've been selected as the sole advertiser in my line of business to place an advert in their local magazine.

I asked twice who put me forward.

They said the local council.

I will call the council tomorrow to see if this is true.

However,

on becoming suspicious I googled them and your blog came up.

I'm glad I read it now as I have decided not to proceed.

They were charging £295 plus VAT. for a year's advert.

They sent me a draft copy of an advert,

which was poor and lacking in content anyway.

I could have done better in 5 minutes.

What prompted me to be suspicious was the cold call,

lack of evidence provided of previous magazines,

never heard of them nor their magazine,

and why me?

I hope you got your problem with them resolved.

Paul

its interesting to note

they have only ever published 3 issues

all the supposed recent posts on the blog

refer back to articles written 18mts ago.

and they