Holiday Pay - am i correct they are short changing worker?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

got a friend popped around

says he thinks hes being short changed

has asked several times about his holiday pay rate

and is being stone walled or constantly fobbed off.

can someone please check his workings attached

and point me to a suitable letter to give them a good poke to sort it please..

not my bag this.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You appear to have scanned a delivery note for a PSU and included it on the last page. Personal information is showing, so I have unapproved your attachment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

It would depend whats written into his contract if employment re holiday pay.

My Mrs for example, has her holiday worked out based on an average of hours worked over the previous 17 weeks, some just pay basic hourly rate on an 8 hr day or 7 1/2 hr day.

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

opps done how did that get in there not even me!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

zero hours contract I believe he said

and they

Is the 'Units' supposed to be a daily rate of pay? And is the 'Rate' column the hourly rate of pay?

Also assuming that the employee is under 25 as if that is the rate of pay it is below NLW rate for over 25s?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

under 25

the rest?

£6.70 hourly rate? varies to 6.95

I think units is hours worked on that shift

rate is hourly rate.

dx

and they

National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

so the £6.70 and the £6.95 tallies with what he should be getting...as under 25 and over 21.

is his assumption the holiday rate is wrong correct.

how do you workout holiday entitlement...

not my bag employment sadly...

and they

I would also point the friend to ACAS: http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4468

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

It is tricky based on the evidence provided as the number of hours worked seems to vary. Every employee should receive 5.6 weeks annual leave (which can include Bank Holidays)

A week's holiday should be paid at the same rate as a normal working week. Looking at the payslip for March 2017, this looks to be correct if that is a flat week - 39 hours worked at £6.95 per hour. 10 days (2 weeks/78 hours) holiday pay at £6.95 per hour

For the January payslip it looks as though two normal 39 hour weeks were worked then two days holiday were taken in Week 3 and the same in Week 4 = 4 days holiday which has been paid at the rate of £6.06 per hour instead of £6.95. By my reckoning the holiday pay due for that month should have been 32 hours at £6.95 = £222.40, so £27.40 owed

Where it gets complicated is that the other payslips show varying numbers of hours worked, which suggests that the employee does not actually work a standard 39 hour week - sometimes it is over and sometimes it is under. In those circumstances a 'normal' working week cannot just be paid as the amounts vary week to week, so the employer would have to use a 12 week reference period to calculate average hours worked and then paid at the usual rate of pay.

Some good guidance here http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4109

So, from the information provided I cannot work out precisely how it has all been calculated, so it would need to know the nature of the contract - What are the normal contracted working hours each week? Why does it vary so much in some months?

From an escalation point of view, there are two approaches. In the first instance (and it does look as though your man has done his homework so I won't argue with that), the employee should write to Payroll, highlighting the discrepancies that are believed to exist and ask nicely for an explanation of how the holiday pay was calculated, or for the balance to be paid.

The legal route (never a good idea to go in all guns blazing from the start if you value your job) would be a Letter Before Claim asking for the outstanding balance to be paid (and with a breakdown included) within X days before action is taken to recover the balance. Traditionally this would be via an Employment Tribunal under a breach of Section 13 Employment Rights Act (Unlawful Deductions from Wages) but since the introduction of fees in the ET (and it would cost way more than could be recovered to go via this route), a lot of cases would now be pursued via MCOL as a breach of contract claim.

Far better to try and resolve it through dialogue so a chat with Payroll so that they can explain how the amounts were calculated

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

thanks you two

great work

i'll pose the questions to the gentleman and point him here to read as well

i'll update when required

great work.

dx

and they

oh this is in Scotland if it makes any odds

and they

No - the laws regarding holiday pay are (at least currently!) applicable to the UK as a whole

DONATE HERE

I saw him today and he's going to find out more

but he says the payroll is done by a new external company and the boss is being obstructive upon who it is.

and until this change it was ok

they are seeming to blame 'them' but wont tell him who to write too

dx

dx

and they

Ok, the difference in pay from the oldest pay slip is trhe change in the minimum wage. It appears as though they are paying holiday on a daily rate rather than an hourly one. The 10 days holiday is correct, the 4 days holiday appears to be at a rate of £6.30ph, which is wrong, even if they were using the £6.70ph pay rate ( dont know why, perhaps they think it is all they need to pay as the entitlement was accrued some time before).

Your friend should raise this with the payroll people