Scottish Power, the Ombudsman, and multiple meters!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I moved into an old house with 3 meters, all with Scottish Power. When moving in they agreed to put them all on one standing charge and put the meters together on one account. Over the next year and a half they messed up the billing endlessly. No correct bills or communication other than apologies and that they were working on it, until suddenly a deadlock letter arrived saying they could not put the meters together and that was that. So it went to the Ombudsman.

Ombudsman found their communication to be poor. Scottish Power had identified a workaround to put the meters together (one was unused entirely) but did not tell me. However the Ombudsman held that as there were 3 meters there should be 3 standing charges. (Ombudsman also however found compensation due, and that the backbilling procedure should be engaged limiting bills to the last 12 months)

I disputed the finding about standing charges, as Scottish Power didnt dispute that they agreed to there only being one. I'd written to them plenty and each time confirmed this was to be the case. They appeared to be acting on that basis from their notes. I said to the Ombudsman that allowing the 3 standing charges was a windfall for Scottish Power and allowed them to profit from their own poor communication and handling; and also that the agreement was there should only be the one standing charge. The Ombudsman was unmoved.

Now I have to decide if I should accept the Ombudsmans findings. The backbilling and compensation are helpful, but the standing charges are not. It's a mixed bag.

Any advice on the standing charges and accepting the findings?

Many thanks!!

Hi

I moved into an old house with 3 meters, all with Scottish Power. When moving in they agreed to put them all on one standing charge and put the meters together on one account. Over the next year and a half they messed up the billing endlessly. No correct bills or communication other than apologies and that they were working on it, until suddenly a deadlock letter arrived saying they could not put the meters together and that was that. So it went to the Ombudsman.

Ombudsman found their communication to be poor. Scottish Power had identified a workaround to put the meters together (one was unused entirely) but did not tell me. However the Ombudsman held that as there were 3 meters there should be 3 standing charges. (Ombudsman also however found compensation due, and that the backbilling procedure should be engaged limiting bills to the last 12 months)

I disputed the finding about standing charges, as Scottish Power didnt dispute that they agreed to there only being one. I'd written to them plenty and each time confirmed this was to be the case. They appeared to be acting on that basis from their notes. I said to the Ombudsman that allowing the 3 standing charges was a windfall for Scottish Power and allowed them to profit from their own poor communication and handling; and also that the agreement was there should only be the one standing charge. The Ombudsman was unmoved.

Now I have to decide if I should accept the Ombudsmans findings. The backbilling and compensation are helpful, but the standing charges are not. It's a mixed bag.

Any advice on the standing charges and accepting the findings?

Many thanks!!

I think there must be some legislation that states it is one standing charge per meter. But it is up to Scottish Power what they want to bill you for. They might agree to compensation, 12 month only bsckbilling and only one standing charge. Are you assuming SP want 3 standing charges now after this Ombudsman ruling or have they said this ?

Why is there 3 meters ?

Can you move from Scottish Power and a new supplier changes to one meter. With a change to smart meters won't it be helpful to make the change to just one meter ? They are not going to fit three smart meters.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think there must be some legislation that states it is one standing charge per meter. But it is up to Scottish Power what they want to bill you for. They might agree to compensation, 12 month only bsckbilling and only one standing charge. Are you assuming SP want 3 standing charges now after this Ombudsman ruling or have they said this ?

Why is there 3 meters ?

Can you move from Scottish Power and a new supplier changes to one meter. With a change to smart meters won't it be helpful to make the change to just one meter ? They are not going to fit three smart meters.

I'd be happy to be on one meter. As we agreed only one standing charge didn't seem necessary to rewire. SP's deadlock letter said they would charge for 3. One isnt used at all as it was for old storage heaters that have been removed and was on a day/night tariff (I didn't know this).

Right at the start SP said would be no problem to put them on one account with one standing charge.

What I want to do is accept the finding in part and reject the part about standing charges but I don't know if its possible

I'd be happy to be on one meter. As we agreed only one standing charge didn't seem necessary to rewire. SP's deadlock letter said they would charge for 3. One isnt used at all as it was for old storage heaters that have been removed and was on a day/night tariff (I didn't know this).

Right at the start SP said would be no problem to put them on one account with one standing charge.

What I want to do is accept the finding in part and reject the part about standing charges but I don't know if its possible

I think you either accept or you reject. You cannot pick which parts you agree with.

Is having 2 active meters actually increasing your bill for usage ? You only pay for what you use. The standing charge is for maintaing each meter. If one is not in use and this has been accepted, then only two need maintaining.

There are companies that don't apply standing charges, but whether they are competitive for your supply, you would need to find out. E.g Ebico

Is there a tactic that you can use to resolve this ? What if you requested a smart meter to be installed ?

What is the issue with having work done to just have one meter ? Does it mean having to muck around with the electrical wire circuit in your house ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Re one standing charge per meter: Are we saying that customers on economy 7 (two meters; one for day, one for night) should/do pay double the standing charge compared with a standard meter? That doesn't seem right to me.

Re three meters: In the dim and distant past there was a tariff called "super tariff" that billed at three different rates; day, night and heat. Customers on that tariff had three meters, one for each rate. Its possible that the OPs property was on super tariff in the past and that SPs inability to deal with the situation is due to them having no concept of super tariff

the standing charge pays for things like the cables that are owned by the electricity generators, the money shouldnt go to the energy resellers. You only have one SUPPLY so only 1 standing charge. Ombudsmanservices ltd are rubbish at their job, they are not a proepr ombudsman so dont accept what they say and ask them to get the OMBUDSMAN to make a determination rather than the most junior tier in their company.

are/were the meters 'related'?

I'd be happy to be on one meter. As we agreed only one standing charge didn't seem necessary to rewire
quite.

if one or more meters are redundant then they can be removed. but, as you say, you agreed one standing charge. and, if they want to charge for removal/rewire.....