Xercise4Less Leeds and Harlands/CRS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2538 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys,

It hasn't taken me long on this site to realise that you have dealt with a lot of situations regarding Xercise4Less and Harlands/CRS so, whilst that is comforting, I am still rather nervous as they continue to demand extortionate amounts!

I'll keep it as brief as possible:

Currently I am working abroad in Valencia, therefore I wished to cancel my Xercise4Less membership (I had membership for over 12 months.)

I used their website for cancellation on the 19th December and received an automated email, saying I would receive official confirmation within 30 days.

On the 9th January, this email arrived, mentioning that my account had now been cancelled. It further mentions that my 30 day notice started from the day of initial cancellation (19th December), and a direct debit payment went out on that very day (9.99 monthly rate).

Therefore, when I received the second (and more official) cancellation email,

I decided to cancel my direct debit,

as I believed that the December 19th payment would be my notice payment.

This however was not the case, and I received a letter from CRS to my parents' home address in the UK, demanding 207.47!

am aware that it is absolutely pointless contacting them via phone, so I am only emailing them.

I responded to their letter, mentioning how I received an official confirmation letter. However, yesterday they replied with this:

On 18 November 2015 you entered into a Membership Agreement with Xercise 4 Less. You agreed to pay £9.99 a month and give a months written notice when you wished to cancel.

As your payments were not honoured and you failed to rectify your breach of Agreement charges were applied to your account and your file was referred to ourselves.

Xercise 4 Less have not received the relevant notice from you to cancel your Membership. If notice had been given correctly in December 2016, as per your correspondence, you would have still been liable to pay your January 2017 instalment as your notice period, this was not received.

What I think has happened, is that I fell short of the 30 day notice by only a number of days, as I cancelled my direct debit a few days after I received the email of cancellation on the 9th January.

I am willing to admit to them that I made this mistake and that I will pay 9.99, but the 207.47 payment is outrageous.

ny help you guys can give would be hugely appreciated, and if I have missed anything out then let me know!

Thanks!

just send the slick132 letter

they are a DCA

and not bailiffs

so have no legal powers whatsoever

so NOTHING to be worried about.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Valencia and welcome to CAG

Keeping it simple, if X4Less say your notice started on 19th Dec'r AND you paid a DD on that date, I don't see that you have to pay any more.

Not £9.99 for the next month, nor any admin fees at all.

Write a real paper letter to X4Less at their Leeds Head Office saying :-

I refer to my m/ship at xxxxxxx gym.

You confirmed that my 30 day notice started from the day of initial cancellation (19th December), and a direct debit payment went out on that very day. Yet Harlands/CRS are now demanding I pay over £200 including their unlawful fees that they're trying to charge me.

Unless you tell Harlands/CRS to back off immediately, formal complaints will be made without further notice to Trading Standards and The CMA about your use of Harlands to harass your customers.

Please reply to me at the following UK address where my mail is monitored.

Or you can write to my Valencia address which is xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't fret about this - Harlands/CRS are full of hot air but it's important that you know what they're up to at all times, hence what I say about your addresses.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks for the reply! I think i'll try to keep it to just my UK Address, post in the past for me in Spain has been a nightmare!

One thing regarding the monthly payments however is that they always came out of my account around the 18/19/20th of the month; depending on which month. So I think it may have just been a coincidence that the December payment fell on the same day as my cancellation day, meaning no notice payment went out. Perhaps, in that case, I should still admit to owing 9.99 and send an email to Harlands/CRS first?

:)

Hi Valencia,

Emailing Harlands/CRS is a waste of time. They're only interested in getting you to part with your money !!

It really doesn't matter about a day here or a day there with the DD and notice issue - from what you've said, I'd suggest you owe them nothing more.

In any event, Harlands treat X4Less members so badly that they should only get money they are clearly owed and I DON'T think that applies to your case.

Just send the letter to X4Less as I said above and let us know how they reply.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Cheers slick!

I am trying to find the Head Office address, is it the same address as the Leeds Gym itself? (1, Kirkstall Industrial Estate, Kirkstall Rd, Leeds LS4 2AZ, UK). Just wanting to make sure as I know that just sending the letter to a gym would get me nowhere!

Hi Valencia,

Yes, that's the address and make the top line:-

Xercise4Less Head Office

1, Kirkstall etc

etc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just a quick update. CRS came back with this email. Regarding what they're now saying, shouldn't it be the right moment now for me to offer the 9.99? And then proceed with another letter to Head Office? (I haven't heard back from them yet)

Further to your recent correspondence, your payments were due on the 18th of each month. 18th December 2016 was a Sunday and as such your payment was taken the following day.

You have submitted your request on 19th December 2016 and as such you would remain liable for any payment that fell due in the following 30 days. 30 days after 19th December 2016 was 18th January 2017 and so your final payment should have been 18th January 2017. That payment, however, was not paid due to your Direct Debit instruction having been cancelled.

We were previously led to believe you had given no notice and so your membership continued. We now concede this was incorrect but it remains the case that you have failed to make payment due under the terms of your agreement.

As such you are no longer liable for the sum of £19.98 relating to your February and March 2017 instalments of £9.99 each, which had not become due on the date your notice period expired. You remain liable, however, for £187.49, consisting of your missed January 2017 instalment and charges arising from the recovery of that amount.

We may be able to negotiate on this sum, but would require you to contact one of our telephone negotiators on 01444 449 165 in order to do so. Payment can be made by Credit/Debit card by calling us on 01444 449165. Alternatively, cheque/postal orders should be made payable to Credit Resolution Services and sent to CRS, 2nd Floor, Rockwood House, 9-17 Perrymount Road, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, RH16 3TW.

A payment plan can also be set up if you are unable to settle in full, although we do charge a little extra for this.

If you are experiencing financial difficulty, there are organisations who offer free debt advice and assistance such as Step Change (0800 1381111), National Debtline (0808 8084000) and your local Citizen Advice Bureau.

Please ensure a payment or response is received within the next 7 days, so we can avoid further action being taken.

Yours sincerely,

David Castle

Collections Department

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Valencia,

DX is right - ignore this nonsense from Harlands/CRS.

Wait for the reply from X4Less and do nothing until they reply.

Whilst I completely agree that they have lowered the money to try and convince me to pay up, surely I should still just send the email regarding offering 9.99? I know that others on this forum have done this, and then it seems that it puts you in a better situation when contacting X4L. It's unfortunate that a Sunday meant that the payment came out a day later, and is an unfortunate coincidence that I thought it would be the notice payment.

I absolutely agree that they are talking a load of nonsense, but I am just thinking of ways that would put me in the best possible position when it comes to contacting X4L.

Hi Valencia,

You made an offer to the gym which they've not replied to yet.

You have no need and nothing to gain by responding to CRS (Harlands in disguise). They are chancers who are only interested in getting you to pay what they can.

As said, ignore their begging letter.

Sorry Valencia,

I deal with so many threads here, I get confused a bit too easily sometimes. :wink:

You did NOT make any offer to pay the gym - you wrote to the gym as per post #4 and they've not yet replied so IGNORE this contact from Harlands/CRS.

Until the gym replies to your email, ignore Harlands /CRS completely.

There's no saying.

Sometimes, they'll ignore and other times they'll reply in a week or two.

Until they reply, you have nothing to worry about.

I've just been told from back home that CRS tried to ring today,

despite me telling them twice that I shall only talk via email (even though I won't be doing that anymore).

They really love to pester don't they!

you tell a fleecer not to do something

they'll do it

as you've given them a weapon to pressure you

and they

Yeah I understand!

Since that call, I've been trying to convince my Mum that there is nothing to worry about. I know that there isn't as Harlands are just hot air, but would you guys be able to clarify a few things? I think it would be best to hear it from the horse's mouth:

. They are a DCA and not bailiffs

. That this 'debt' does not affect my credit or the house's credit

. It does not place the house on a blacklist

correct a DCA HAS NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER on ANY DEBT, not just GYM debts!!

correct its NOT a debt, gym accounts cant show or hurt your rating

theres NO SUCH THING as a house BLACKLIST, an old wives tale.

and they