I've received a court summons for a rental I guaranteed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

you have only uploaded 1 page of the N1 ..what does its state in the defendants address box on page 1 ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If you could possibly upload it with the names obscured...just so I can see the way its worded

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Many thanks....so your named on an attached list for service and also named in the particulars of claim.Has you daughter received a claim form also ?

Are you in contact with the rest of the defendants ? It would be wise to tell all to acknowledge service and defend all.

Thanks. Yes my daughter also has a summons, I have defended hers in the same way and yes I am listed in particulars and also on attached list of defendants.

I'll contact those that I'm able to but one of the tenants (the one with all of the arrears in fact) is listed but the address for him is actually the rental property (obviously the landlord knows he has not resided there for 2 years) and he has apparently moved back to the USA so it's an impossibility that all of the defendants can acknowledge. This one also doesn't have his own guarantor, there are five tenants and 4 guarantors

There's not really much you can do regarding the non-contactable tenant I'm afraid.

Even if he is in the US, I think from memory if Default Judgment is awarded against him they can't enforce it over there anyway as there's no specific reciprocal agreement. Realistically for the size of this claim the Claimant is not going to start fresh proceedings in the US based on a UK Judgment. So really, if that tenant has no intention of coming back in the next 6 years it matters not to him whether he has a CCJ or not...

Focus on defending the claims against you and your daughter.

It is possible in my view, that if the other tenants don't respond and Default Judgments are subsequently entered against them, with 6 other people to enforce against the landlord may be prepared to drop the claims against you and your daughter.

Thank you supervillain

I now have the signed guarantor agreement. It makes no mention of being jointly and severally liable. what do you think?

:wink:

The guarantee looks pretty clear to me, and makes you liable for your daughter's obligations under the tenancy agreement.

If she was jointly and severally liable, I think you would be too. So you need a copy of the tenancy agreement.

Of course it is for the landlord to prove why he/she is owed money, so defend all at this stage.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 2 weeks later...