• Tweets

• We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice is change. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been reading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. On mediation form you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee that you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.  
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
    • too true HB, but those two I referred for starters - appear to be self admitted - One to excuse other lockdown law breaking, by claiming his estate away from his consistency and London abode was his main home the other if he claims to have 'not told the truth' in his own words via that quote - to have mislead his investors rather than broken lobbying rules   - seem to be slam dunks - pick which was your law breaking - it seems to be both and much more besides in Jenricks case Starmer was director of public prosecutions yet the tories are using seemingly baseless allegations for propaganda and starmer is missing pressing apparent blatant criminality in politics
    • I am sure the resident experts will give you a comprehensive guide to your rights.  The responsibility lies with the retailer. I have dealt with Cotswold before for similar. And found them refreshingly helpful.   Even when I lost the receipt for one item I had bought in Inverness. The manager in Newcastle called the store. Found the transaction and gave me a full refund. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Lowell/BW CCJ - old cat debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short, lowell took me to court for an alledge debt of around £800

I sent the usual forms asking for proof of ownership of debt, statements of account, notice of transfer etc

After a month or so they sent back a few screen shots and handful of documents, none of which showed the correct amount being claimed.

The statement summary actually showed the amount owing as about £90

I challenged this by filling out an N244 form and asking for a strike out hearing since they had not provided the necessary documentation and asked for it to be dealt with without a hearing.

The court set a date without consulting me, it was a date that i was out of the country 1000 miles away.

I contacted the court to tell them I couldnt attend as I was away and wanted a new date for the hearing.

The court clerks told me to send an email stating why I couldnt attend and a new date would be set.

I sent over the email and I then left the country as planned.

While I was away I had limited access to my emails, I did receive one that said I must send proof that I am away or the hearing would go ahead in my absence.

Since I had no IT equipment with me or anywhere to find any and extremely limited internet access I was unable to do this.

On my return I have found out that I now have a CCJ and the £800 debt is now £1000

1st question is,

this was supposed to be a strike out hearing, not the full hearing to decide the case

2nd The claimant failed to prove ownership of the debt or the amount claimed, why did they win this case

3rd why was I told everything would be ok by the court if i emailed before leaving the county and then stab me in the back afterwards?

I do not acknowledge this debt and the claimant still hasnt proven the amount owed so why has this happened?

would like to appeal but dont know how to go about this

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds to me is if you filed an N244 but you didn't actually defend. Is this correct?

If that is the case then the reason that judgement was given against you is because there was no defence.

In order to deal with this you would have to apply for a set-aside which will cost you about £255 using a form N244 which you seem already to be familiar with.

Edited by Andyorch
fee corrrected

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues..please continue to post here to your thread.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

so we have the correct info and the background

can you please fill this out

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-2016**

and detail the letters you sent please

was this a CCA request to the claimant

and

a CPR 31:14 to the Solicitors.

did you file a defence or even defend all at the [aos] stage?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thanks for your replies so far

yes I sent the CPR and the CCA forms

They failed to produce a statement of account (just one screen shot of a summary which didnt show the amount owing or how it occurred),

didnt produce the notice of default

and also failed to prove they owned the debt

(they just provided a screen shot of some computer screen which was just muddled up garbage!)

The original judgement was to stay the case.

I filled an N244 form out to strike out the case and ofcourse failed to attend due to a pre booked holiday (booked prior to any court action) which would have cost me more to cancel than what was being claimed

The court was made aware that I would be away on the date given.

I assume because I didnt attend I automatically lost

FYI the court still hasnt made me aware of the CCJ or that I lost the hearing, I have only heard today from the claimant

I did a bit of digging today and have filled in the N244 form again to set that case aside, I am using the help with fees since I am on a low income.

Now the hearing was on March 8th,

If I also want to / need to appeal the decision and go to the court of Appeal,

do I need to do this within a set time period from the hearing or do I need to await the result of the set aside application?

did you file a defence or even defend all at the [aos] stage?

Yes i sent those forms and also filed a defence saying I didnt recognise the debt as belonging to me or the amount being claimed

the case was stayed after this, but I guess i made a mistake asking for it to be struck out (or wrongly assumed the court would arrange a mutually acceptable date for the hearing! instead of saying heres the hearing date you must attend!)

but I guess i made a mistake asking for it to be struck out....

yep. and, it was your hearing and you didn't attend it

hard to attend hearings when you are 1200 miles away :)

indeed :)

but, you made the application re. if you cldn't attend then shld've applied for a relist.

not forgetting that maybe shldnt have applied for strike in the first.

shld've come here first.

anyway. hindsight.

I did tell them several weeks before my holiday that the date was not convenient to me and the court gave me incorrect advice. As far as I was concerned everything was in order before I left on holiday but no because the court clerks gave me incorrect advice

my grounds for set aside are that I was out of the country at the time of the hearing and wasnt given the chance to represent myself. Also the Claim had no real chance of success (summary judgement)

then you can mention that 'incorrect advice', as and when if needs be.

but, your app'n now is re ccj set aside. what are the grounds for set aside....

this

"If you miss a hearing date that has been set by the court and you now have a court judgment or order, you can apply for the judgment to be set aside to allow a new hearing date to be set.

The court may agree to your application if you:

act promptly in applying to set aside the judgment (usually within 14 days);

explain that you had a good reason for missing the hearing, and

would have had a reasonable prospect of success at the hearing."

another question, the hearing I applied for was for whether the claim could be struck out or remain stayed

This wasnt supposed to determine if the money was owed or not

curious how the judge turned this hearing into the full blown hearing which was supposed to come at a later date

Also one last question, If my request for the judgement to be set aside is unsuccessful, am I able to appeal that decision at the court of appeal?

Guest Mrs Hobbit

If you don't turn up to Court, the Judge just naturally assumes you are not going to defend and makes the order in favour of the claimant. I would be appealing the CCJ to get it set aside.

Have you got a defence ready ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

working on one at the moment,

initially it is I dont recognise the debt as belonging to me,

the claimant hasnt provided sufficient proof of ownership of debt,

the claimant hasnt provided statements to show the amount being claimed is correct

The claimant hasnt provided a notice of assignment etc

I am just going through the documents supplied by lowell for my court hearing tomorrow

Could someone please let me know what a Notice of Assignment of debt letter must contain?

They have given what looks like a cut and paste, there is no company header or address on the paper its just a blank sheet of paper with the Dear Mr.... on and signed by somebody

It says We have sold your debt but it doesnt say anywhere in the letter who "we" are ??

Also the default notice isnt included in the court pack.

The two letters they have included as letters to customer to request payment are the same as notice of assignment, a cut and paste job with no letter head and one doesnt even have the companies Phone number or address on

appreciate any help

I am going to say the notice of assignment is defective due to it missing the mentioned information,

it also has a different assignment date on it to other documents in the evidence bundle.

this alone should make it defective (it was also served to an address I wasnt living at , i moved away from the addres 2 months prior to the letters so I didnt receive any communication from lowell apart from the court summons which they managed to get my address right for

Hi

I am after a little help

Lowell Financial took me to court for an allegded shopdirect debt.

Originally it was in Northampton court,

where the judge ordered the case to be stayed as Lowell hadnt complied with the courts directions or supplied the required proof of ownership etc.

I saw the opportunity (stupidly looking back at it!) to apply to have the case struck out.

I was unable to attend the strike out hearing and judgement was made against me in my absence.

I have since applied and successfully had that order set aside.

I now have 2 weeks to write a detailed defence, which the Judge has asked me to do

My defence is I dont recognise the debt as being mine.

Lowell didnt provide a copy of the default notice in the court pack,

none of the letters (notice of assignment etc) were on headed paper so they could have been written by anyone,

they didnt provide full statements of account just a summatry which shows the transactions in the last 3 years.

The judge ruled that although these are were breaches of the various CPRs, they were minor and didnt have any affect on the case.

But as far as I am concerned Lowell havnt sufficiently provided proof of ownership

I am more than happy to email copies of what Lowell are using in court against me.

I really dont know where to start with all of this.

According to the judge in northampton there wasnt enough evidence to continue with a case yet I started the ball rolling again with the strike out request

thanks

You already have a thread running on this. Please continue this on your old thread abd the site team will close this new one.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?475767-CCJ-from-Lowell&p=5008171#post5008171

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi

I am after a little help

Lowell Financial took me to court for an allegded shopdirect debt.

Originally it was in Northampton court, where the judge ordered the case to be stayed as Lowell hadnt complied with the courts directions or supplied the required proof of ownership etc.

I saw the opportunity (stupidly looking back at it!) to apply to have the case struck out.

I was unable to attend the strike out hearing and judgement was made against me in my absence.

I have since applied and successfully had that order set aside.

I now have 2 weeks to write a detailed defence, which the Judge has asked me to do

My defence is I dont recognise the debt as being mine.

Lowell didnt provide a copy of the default notice in the court pack,

none of the letters (notice of assignment etc) were on headed paper so they could have been written by anyone,

they didnt provide full statements of account just a summatry which shows the transactions in the last 3 years.

The judge ruled that although these are were breaches of the various CPRs, they were minor and didnt have any affect on the case.

But as far as I am concerned Lowell havent sufficiently provided proof of owner ship

I am more than happy to email copies of what Lowell are using in court against me.

I really dont know where to start with all of this.

According to the judge in northampton there wasnt enough evidence to continue with a case yet I started the ball rolling again with the strike out request

thanks

remember your app'n is re set aside.

so, you need to at least satisfy the requirements for such. (and maybe ask for anything else if appropriate) see the civil procedure rules for eg.

and if it is successful, and unless the j makes any orders otherwise, then the claim will go back to the beginning.

did you sent lowells a CCa request and their solicitors a CPR 31:14?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...