Double yellow lines on one side - can I park on the other side?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, in my area the council have just painted double lines on one side of my road. The road is fairly narrow, but there was room for people to park close to the wall and other cars could still get past. However, they've now put double yellow lines down the side where people used to park.

It dawned on me that I could simply park on the other side of the road, would I be correct in assuming this? Or do the lines apply to both sides?

I've been looking everywhere to try to find out this regulation but can't find any info at all. So if any of you know the answer that'd be great. I can provide photos if that'd help?

Thanks.

In principle, the yellow line restriction only extends to the centre of the carriageway, so yes you can park on the other side without contravening them.

You would have to decide whether there are other issues to consider, like visibility, proximity to junctions, etc. Also, there's a reason why yellow lines are installed and if parking there is causing problems to others, getting around the regulations that way might not be the most considerate course of action. How's access for fire engines for example?

In principle, the yellow line restriction only extends to the centre of the carriageway, so yes you can park on the other side without contravening them.

You would have to decide whether there are other issues to consider, like visibility, proximity to junctions, etc. Also, there's a reason why yellow lines are installed and if parking there is causing problems to others, getting around the regulations that way might not be the most considerate course of action. How's access for fire engines for example?

Thanks for the reply. The road is wide enough for cars to pass, so I should be ok to park there as I'd definitely not be over the middle. It is a narrow road though, so heavy goods vehicles would struggle to get past. Although it's a dead end here, we don't get much traffic.

The yellow lines have mainly gone up due to the inconsiderate parking of others. They park too near the end of the road, where it narrows even more, causing people to scrape their cars when they go past. As usual, the inconsiderate few ruined it for the rest of us.

If I were to park here it'd be as a last resort, when I couldn't find a space anywhere else. And it'd be on the wider part of the road, so I'm not causing an obstruction. I just wanted to know where I stood, in case I got a parking ticket. I've fought 3 so far and won 2, so I'm not afraid to go the full distance should I get a ticket. Our local council are ****, and have added in new regulations that are killing the town centre trade. So part of me feels like parking there and getting a ticket every day for a year, just so that I can fight it and cost them. But I'm not that petty, I just wish that councils would make it easier for shoppers to park, as it'd boost local businesses.

Bear in mind also that where there is a double WHITE line system in place down the centre of the road, it is illegal to park on either side, whether there are yellow lines or not

Thanks for the info. There's nothing like that here, it's just a narrow road with a dead end. Wide enough for cars to pass, but when I park here I always fold my mirror flat as it gets pretty tight.

It sounds like they deliberately painted just one side. They could have restricted both sides if they'd wanted. You should be OK from the sound of it provided you stay wholly on the correct side of the centre of the road. If there are no restrictions, you are entitled to park there and shouldn't get a ticket.