• Tweets

• and Brexit Britain err EU Greece becomes first European country to ban bottom trawling in marine parks   Greece becomes first European country to ban bottom trawling in marine parks | Fishing | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM The law will come into force in national parks within two years and in all of the country’s marine protected areas by 2030  
    • Good on them for following the rules. They still haven't proven that I'm the driver though right? I also checked the council's website and there's no planning permission for the signs. No luck with the organ grinder. I think I'll need to take this to court and win to prove my point to the other freeholders.
    • Isas already allow you to earn tax-free interest on up to £20,000 each tax year. But under recent reforms, they are now supposed to be more flexible.View the full article
    • The NTK is pretty good at complying with the Act  as is the Notice to Driver so no help there. I seem to remember OPS getting hammered by a Judge [in brighton I think] so they seem to have tightened po their act since. The organ grinder is the MA and the monkey is OPS.
    • @jk2054 and @BankFodder - Your feedbacks in posts #199 and #202 have been incorporated into the attached WS. As usual, amends are in blue in this draft. Based on other WS drafts I've seen where the issues in dispute are part of the WS, I built my first draft WS in the same format and hadn't seen it to be an issue before. You will notice that the 'witness statement' has been replaced with 'Claimant's Statement' so that issues in dispute does not need to be on a separate page before the WS. This is especially given the work that has gone in to reduce the size of the WS to 8 pages. Also thanks for the suggestions re: confidentiality - I agree with your views and will stand firm on this if a condition of confidentiality is brought up. I have not been approached by Evri on this forum or by email. I haven't yet had success in paying the hearing fee. I am calling the court as often as I can (during work breaks/lunch etc.) and have sent 2 emails to the court requesting a call back. If i don't have any success by the end of this week, I'll send another email chasing for a call back. @BankFodder - Also attached is an invoice from Packlink which shows that I was charged by Packlink for these services: "drop-off at EVRi - Next day delivery" and "Proof of Delivery". It also has the payer's address and there are "Origin" and "Destination" fields which have the postcode of the sender and the recipient (I have redacted personal details in the attached invoice).  I am already including this in my evidence bundle (without the redaction) but wanted to share this redacted version so that other people can consider this as example in their bundle of Packlink and Evri's contract being instigated by the sender of the parcel who has paid for the service, and further shows that there is information in the invoice to identify that a third party beneficiary (sender / recipient) is present in the contract between Packlink and Evri. If this invoice is no good, then please let me know / delete it from this post. Draft - Witness Statement and Court Bundle redacted.pdf Packlink invoice - REDACTED.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Please bear with me. I was made redundant over a year ago, and as a single Mum, I've just started my own business, but am still relying heavily on benefits while I find my feet - financially.

Our landlady's told us she's selling the house in June and as we've been here for 5 years and are so happy and settled, I'd love to somehow be able to buy it.

The house is expected to go on the market for 220K.

My mum recently sold her house and has a 30K deposit she can give us and I'm now considering the following options:

1. My ex, who earns a good wage (100K) can 'Buy to let' for us? This sounds too good to be true - what are the issues surrounding this?

2. Would my 71 year old Mum be able to re-mortgage her house that she owns outright? It's value is 200K. Is she able to do this at her age - how much could she raise - again - what are the issues surrounding this?

I'm pretty convinced that our dream's not achievable, but I thought I'd ask here first - I've heard great things about this forum.

Here's hoping,

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and Welcome vegetablelasagne,

Sorry I can't give you any advice but hopefully people more knowledgeable in this area will be along shortly to give you some help.

Good luck with what your trying to achieve.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

1. My ex, who earns a good wage (100K) can 'Buy to let' for us? This sounds too good to be true - what are the issues surrounding this?

2. Would my 71 year old Mum be able to re-mortgage her house that she owns outright? It's value is 200K. Is she able to do this at her age - how much could she raise - again - what are the issues surrounding this?

I'm pretty convinced that our dream's not achievable

Option 1. Should you need to claim Housing Benefit either now, or in the future, the rental arrangement with your ex could be seen as "contrived". It is unlikely that HB would be paid should the Local Authority come to this conclusion (and it is quite likely they would).

Option 2. To be honest, I don't see any mortgage provider would be willing to lend to a pensioner unless she has a substantial pension income. Equity release may be possible, but this is rarely a good idea and should never be considered without some proper legal advice (and certainly not off the internet).

To be brutally honest, in your current situation, I don't think home ownership is a realistic goal, but I suspect you have already reached that conclusion.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Ex would need to own his own house (mortgaged)

He would need a deposit of around 55,000

Rental would need to be in excess of 851 per month

which you would need to pay ( no hb)

Mother would only raise around £70,000 on equity release

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Hi theoldrouge!

I just wanted to clarify on a few points you made if that's OK? - please excuse my ignorance.

1. Why does my ex already need to own a property? Is that one of the criteria for buying to let - can you not buy your first property as a Buy to Let?

2. If I found work (within the next 3 months) - I would be able to pay the rent you quoted.

I'm thinking that with my Mother's possible equity (to be seriously considered first) of 70K, plus her deposit of 30K, my ex would only need to raise a mortgage for 120K as a Buy to Let....is this feasible?

Thanks again in advance.

I'm thinking that with my Mother's possible equity (to be seriously considered first) of 70K, plus her deposit of 30K

How is she raising 70k equity without:

a) selling up and then moving in with you?, or

b) selling up (again) and downsizing / moving to a cheaper area?, or

c) getting a new mortgage (unlikely to be approved), or

d) using equity release, and all the downsides that come with that that have been pointed out......

Thank you BazzaS - somebody mentioned that she would be able to raise 70K equity.

This thread was intended as a brainstorm really for what appears to be a lost cause.

I've never owned a property - I have absolutely no idea how any of this works - hence me being here seeking advice.

Thank you BazzaS - somebody mentioned that she would be able to raise 70K equity.

This thread was intended as a brainstorm really for what appears to be a lost cause.

I've never owned a property - I have absolutely no idea how any of this works - hence me being here seeking advice.

And I don't want to "just rain on your parade", but you need to have realistic advice, as getting your hopes up unfairly isn't right, either.

It seems to me there are 3 main issues:

A) the deposit, which you have covered.

B) being able to cover the payments of a mortgage ; which your ex MIGHT help with in the short term? but then you are reliant on another, with your new home at risk if their situation changes or you fall out, and

C) Obtaining the mortgage, which may be difficult if on benefits......

If your underlying concern is "I don't want to move if my LL sells", then buying the property is one solution but not the only potential one.

What tenancy do you have / does it give you any security of tenure?.

Hi theoldrouge!

I just wanted to clarify on a few points you made if that's OK? - please excuse my ignorance.

1. Why does my ex already need to own a property? Is that one of the criteria for buying to let - can you not buy your first property as a Buy to Let?

2. If I found work (within the next 3 months) - I would be able to pay the rent you quoted.

I'm thinking that with my Mother's possible equity (to be seriously considered first) of 70K, plus her deposit of 30K, my ex would only need to raise a mortgage for 120K as a Buy to Let....is this feasible?

Thanks again in advance.

There are a couple of Building Societies that lend on family buy to lets

Max loan to value 60% ie deposit £88000 on 220000

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

No disrespect to a lot of what has been posted, but some of it is wrong.

1) Your ex can buy the property whether or not he owns another property, if income allows it. However if it is a second or subsequent property the stamp duty is an extra 3% on all bands. Also he will have to fund the deposit himself (unless of course you still have the same name then maybe you could get away with it as a gift from your mother but then in all probability the mortgage would need to be in joint names. Unless its a BTL you will unlikely get interest only.

2) He can get a BTL without owning another property but there is a very limited choice of lenders. They would also ask a lot more questions. He could not get a BTL and let family live in it unless it was done on full affordability (not rental income based). The minimum deposit for a BTL is 25% (20% in a very few cases) but to get a BTL mortgage the rent would need to be in excess of £1050pm. Unless you are the South East this is probably unlikely.

3) Your mum could get a lifetime mortgage but as already pointed out it would be limited to around £70,000. The implications regarding this and any possible future care costs can be an issue but would really depend on the local authority at the time and how long in the future it would be.

4) The best bit of advice would be find somewhere else and carry on renting.

Hi the gov recently changed the buy to let rules in Jan to make it more difficult to do so - they don't like buy to lets.

So its complicated the the way they work it out has to be a certain percent between average monthly payment (in the area) and what the house is worth. I would advise a good mortgage advisor who deals with buy to lets a lot - as its recently all changed. I know somebody if you PM me. I know only one company will do BTL without a wage now.

Also I know that the valuations are a lot more picky, and the house has to be in a lettable condition when you buy it - no buying a doer-upper as for some reason they don't allow for this. The cheaper houses usually need work

Hi the gov recently changed the buy to let rules in Jan to make it more difficult to do so - they don't like buy to lets.

So its complicated the the way they work it out has to be a certain percent between average monthly payment (in the area) and what the house is worth. I would advise a good mortgage advisor who deals with buy to lets a lot - as its recently all changed. I know somebody if you PM me. I know only one company will do BTL without a wage now.

Lilipad1, we don't encourage advice by PM. Please keep everything on the open forum. We also don't recommend particular advisers, I'm afraid.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Some of the info supplied re BTL's is basically correct but needs clarifying;

1) There are not any lenders that will do a BTL with no income. There are, however, several that do not have a minimum income and they all look at things differently.

2) There is no extra stamp duty on BTL's per se. The extra stamp duty is on any second or subsequent property. As was pointed out it is an extra 3% on every band. Therefore if the BTL is a first property normal SDLT rates apply.

3) The rental calculation that lenders use to dictate amount of borrowing is generally - amount of loan x 5.5% x 140%.

4) There are also changes happening with regard how landlords are taxed re the rental income. Anyone that pays more than basic rate tax will be worst off.

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum?

I'm about to move as the Landlady is selling the house we rent.

She's selling the house because of its ongoing issues with damp.

However, she has often blamed me for not ventilating the property adequately and we have fallen out over this on many occasions as I have been and remain a good tenant - there's only so much you can do in a Victorian house on the edge of a hill.

I've *never* missed a payment, and as far as I'm concerned have lived here with the due respect that I've always shown in other properties that I've lived in.

I'm extremely worried that she will give me a bad reference for our next Landlords/agent.

What I'd like to know - is:

Am I legally entitled to 'view' the reference that she'll send the agent?

Am I legally entitled to be copied in?

Even better:

Am I legally allowed to demand that she sends her reference to me to then forward the the relevant agents?

Many thanks in advance for your time.