style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2599 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

Until recently I was running my own business. Times have changed and I find myself in need of paid employment. A lot of companies ask for FULL EMPLOYMENT HISTORY since leaving school. I'm quickly approaching 60 years old, I've had numerous jobs since leaving school and don't even remember the salaries of most of them. I feel that if I were to submit an application WITHOUT a full employment history since leaving school, my application may only get as far as the waste paper bin. Any of you knowledgeable people out there know if a Subject Access Request to the DWP would give me the required info for these demanding employers?

Kind regards frusty.gif

DON'T LET THEM GRIND YOU DOWN!!!:nono:

A CV does not include details of what you were paid so I don't think the dwp need to be involved. I would personally expect to see details of your current jobs and just the name and approx dates of employment for older roles; no details as to what you was doing 30 years ago are needed unless relevant to the role you are applying for

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Completely agree. I would never expect an applicant with an extended work history to provide precise dates for a 40 year work history. Just a list of approximate dates with explanations for any significant gaps would normally suffice

Be more specific around dates for the most recent years though as those would be the ones most likely to be approached for references

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

A CV does not include details of what you were paid so I don't think the dwp need to be involved. I would personally expect to see details of your current jobs and just the name and approx dates of employment for older roles; no details as to what you was doing 30 years ago are needed unless relevant to the role you are applying for

Hi guys (ssparks2003/Sidewinder)

Thanks for your thoughts. The reason I suggested a Subject Access Request was because it would probably allow me to give more accurate info to prospective employers. However, I can see the point you make about extended work histories. I have to admit that when I was the employer, I was more interested in a person's recent work history (the last five to ten years) than what they did thirty years ago. I think my own cv which covers the last 20 years is about right so I think I'll stick with that.

Once again thanks for the input, its always good to get another viewpoint.

Cheers

DON'T LET THEM GRIND YOU DOWN!!!:nono:

they wont give a toss about anything you did more than 2 years ago unless your last employment was in a different field and the application is for a job that calls upon the previous experience. They want dates because if you have no employment history for 10 years but got 9 A levels and a OU degree in that time they assume that you were studying whilst in prison.

As for salary- never mention what you earned or are earning now. For starters it isan offence under the Official Secrets Act (yes!) and anyways, they may well either adjust their salary offer downwarsd if your current earnings are significantly less then this job offers or they may well bin the application because they think you want the same money as you gor/are getting without considering people change jobs for many reasons, especially when the house is paid for/kids left home and a work/life balance becomes more important

As for salary- never mention what you earned or are earning now. For starters it isan offence under the Official Secrets Act (yes!)

Did I miss where the OP said they worked for an intelligence service?

Mind you, even if they did they could just state what government grade they got paid at.

Even for an Armed Forces role : the salary scales are publicly available

https://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Ratesofpay-Regular.pdf

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/armypayscales.php#.WL0-5zzfWEc

Sorry but telling anyone your salary is an offence under the 1911 Official Secrets Act, and also the 1915 Defence of the Realm Act- the bit that led to pubs closing at 10pm

One of these bits of legislation that hasnt been repealed, just left to wither. Another stupid thing under DORA is the Govt and councils not telling developers where German bombs fell during the war and didnt go off and them finding them with a JCB decades later.- it is information useful to the enemy you see.

Salary scales are OK, not your point on it though, cant be too careful or the hun will work out how much the war is costing us.

As for salary- never mention what you earned or are earning now. For starters it isan offence under the Official Secrets Act (yes!)

I've never heard of telling someone your salary being a breach of the Official Secrets Act. That sounds unlikely to me!

That said, I agree that it is not necessary to tell future employers your previous salary history, as it shouldn't really be relevant.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry but telling anyone your salary is an offence under the 1911 Official Secrets Act, and also the 1915 Defence of the Realm Act- the bit that led to pubs closing at 10pm

Could you possibly provide a link or reference to the pay being under the official secrets act?

Would everyone involved in HR, Payroll and recruitment have to sign the official secrets act?

my use of pub quiz type trivia has got you barking up the wrong tree. It is not pay that is under the Act but the act of asking people or telling people your how much you earn. It was brought in to stop spies finding out how much workers in the war effort were earning so if someone with a German accent asks you what you get paid you have to refuse to tell them..

No, you dont have to sign the officail secrets act but there again you dont have to sign anything that says you know that running a red light is against the law either

my use of pub quiz type trivia has got you barking up the wrong tree. It is not pay that is under the Act but the act of asking people or telling people your how much you earn. It was brought in to stop spies finding out how much workers in the war effort were earning so if someone with a German accent asks you what you get paid you have to refuse to tell them..

No, you dont have to sign the officail secrets act but there again you dont have to sign anything that says you know that running a red light is against the law either

I will ask again. Can you provide me with any reference to this "fact"

Salary scales are OK, not your point on it though, cant be too careful or the hun will work out how much the war is costing us.

I don't believe a word of that.

Here's the Official Secrets Act 1911: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1911/28/pdfs/ukpga_19110028_en.pdf

Here's DORA 1914 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1914/29/pdfs/ukpga_19140029_en.pdf

Here's the Regulations made under DORA up to February 1918 - over 500 pages of it but fully searchable: https://archive.org/stream/defenceofrealmma00grearich#page/n3/mode/2up

Where does it say that telling someone your pay (or asking someone their pay or anything else about pay) is an offence? I can't find any mention of it at all, withered or otherwise.

I am getting concerned by some of the statements being made on this site over the last couple of weeks. This week it's official secrets act in relation to wages, last week it was companies are not permitted to photocopy a passport to confirm staffs identity because of copyright issues. I look forward to next week's flight of fancy

I am getting concerned by some of the statements being made on this site over the last couple of weeks. This week it's official secrets act in relation to wages, last week it was companies are not permitted to photocopy a passport to confirm staffs identity because of copyright issues. I look forward to next week's flight of fancy

Take it with a pinch of salt SSparks.......no flights of fancy in the pipeline that I am aware of.:-D

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

These quirky responses devalue the quality responses that some people bother to write.

I'm not a member of the site team so it's not my place to say anything. I cannot see how such replies are helpful though.

OP. If you want my opinion, it really depends on what kind of work you want.

A lot of jobs with high turnover e.g. supermarket cashier, support worker etc. do not care about your work history so much as opposed to, "when can you start."

Though if you are applying for a role that has a several stage interview process, then you may want to tie up loose ends with respect to job roles/dates.

A scruffy application form in those sorts of scenarios can find it's way into a waste paper bin. Though you never suggested what line of work you are trying to pursue!

S1©. "Information useful to an enemy". You have to dig a bit deeper than google to find the info so off to the House of Lords library. This little gem came up because I was searching for other things in DORA for the Cullen enquiry back in 1997.

I know it is going off at a tangent but I mention these things to show some of the ridiculous bits of legislation that are about and how government depts themselves dont know what is exactly what and thus give people the wrong advice.

Information useful to the enemy, looks suspiciously like the Armed Forces Bill or similar?

so for a third and finial time of asking can you provide me with any actual reference to this "fact"?

To make the question a bit clearer, can you demonstrate to me that a road sweeper or checkout assistant would be guilty of breeching the official secrets act (and i mean a current in force piece of legislation) if they made it public what they earn in pursuit of their chosen gainful employment?

S1©. "Information useful to an enemy". .

Firstly that phrase is so general that could mean almost anything and isn't remotely as specific as you claimed, viz, "telling anyone your salary is an offence under the 1911 Official Secrets Act". Are you claiming that any court has ever decided that your salary is information useful to an emeny?

But more importantly you've only quoted half the wording. You've omitted the all important words that precede it: "for any purpose prejudicial to the safety or interests of the State". The complete wording of s1 © is:

"If any person for any purpose prejudicial to the safety or interests of the State—

© obtains, [F1collects, records, or publishes,] or communicates to any other person [F1any secret official code word, or pass word, or] any sketch, plan, model, article, or note, or other document or information which is calculated to be or might be or is intended to be directly or indirectly useful to an enemy;"

If I "communicate" my current salary to a prospective employer I am not not doing it with the purpose of prejudicing the safety or interests of the UK !

Your claims are too fanciful to be taken seriously.