CRA: What constitutes "significant inconvenience" returning large items

RobS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Denon AV receiver about 7 months ago from an online retailer.

I now need to return it for a replacement power supply as it is making a humming noise.

The retailer tells me I need to purchase packaging, arrange a courier and they will contribute £10 for carriage.

This is a large and expensive item so packaging it safely will be a big job and I am not sure that £10 will cover carriage and insurance.

They tell me repair could take up to 4 weeks which is very inconvenient as this is a critical part of our media system and used daily.

I realise being without films and music isn't the end of the world but on the other hand I am annoyed that such an expensive item has failed so soon and is causing this inconvenience.

I see The Consumer Rights Act says:

"If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer"

If the consumer requires the trader to repair or replace the goods, the trader must—

(a)do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer, and

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage.

What constitutes "significant inconvenience" and should a large item be expected to be returned with all costs, including packaging refunded?

Who is the retailer? Why are you not telling us?

Clearly this is a retailer who is not aware of your consumer rights. The question for you is whether you want to get into some protracted argument and end up with the delay of several months before the repair of your receiver, or do you want to get it done now.

I would suggest that the best thing to do is to tell them that you are

I would suggest that the best thing you can do is to write to them, tell them that you are returning it but you are carrying the cost under protest and you will be taking steps to recover that money from them once it is repaired and returned to you.

If you're not prepared to carry out the threat then don't make the threat.

Thanks for the reply. Retailer is Peter Tyson, just didn't think to mention it!

Hopefully the carriage won't be too much but I'm mostly concerned about the amount of hassle involved with returning a large item and being without the main component of my AV system so I can't use it for 4 weeks.

I made an assumption, perhaps wrong, that this kind of large electrical item would normally be repaired on-site, at least in the first 12 months - or they would send someone to collect it with a suitable container.

What I was hoping for is an onsite/local repair or an exchange - just something that caused me minimum hassle considering the receiver is so new.

This is part of their service policy

During the first year of warranty we will collect the goods or direct you to a local service centre - which ever is the fastest for you.
(my emphasis)

So they are saying we will collect and then turn around and say you should send it back to them. That wouldn't work for me.

Get a screen shot of their service page just in case they try to alter it.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

(my emphasis)

So they are saying we will collect and then turn around and say you should send it back to them. That wouldn't work for me.

Well there you are. That's a better answer than I gave you. Check the terms and conditions

(my emphasis)

Well spotted, thanks!

I know these things can be relative to how much you use an item but is 4 weeks without a working TV a "significant inconvenience" and should I be able to push to get this repaired locally or on-site?

I would expect a repair to be done in a week BUT they are hedging because if it is a pet that requires ordering in from abroad, as some do, then the 4 weeks could be about right. Problem is until it is on their bench they wont be able to tell you.

Mind you if I was the retailer and I sold a fair few of these I would send another stock item and keep the duff one and recondition it when nothing else in on the bench.

A mate of mine used to buy the ex-rental stock and returned items like tellys from companies like Radio Rentals and Argos. He would get a lorry full and go through them and 90% would be working but need tuning, colour balance tweaking etc and the remainder would be cannibalised to leave something like 2% completely duff ones. He would then advertise them at a silly price and have a queue of people buying them. In short, the retailer isnt going to lose out by being decent as any loss on this job is recoverable.

I would expect a repair to be done in a week BUT they are hedging because if it is a pet that requires ordering in from abroad, as some do, then the 4 weeks could be about right. Problem is until it is on their bench they wont be able to tell you.

Mind you if I was the retailer and I sold a fair few of these I would send another stock item and keep the duff one and recondition it when nothing else in on the bench.

A mate of mine used to buy the ex-rental stock and returned items like tellys from companies like Radio Rentals and Argos. He would get a lorry full and go through them and 90% would be working but need tuning, colour balance tweaking etc and the remainder would be cannibalised to leave something like 2% completely duff ones. He would then advertise them at a silly price and have a queue of people buying them. In short, the retailer isnt going to lose out by being decent as any loss on this job is recoverable.

my partner repairs faulty tvs laptops etc for what it cost us. He only does this for very good friends. Depending on the part and location it can take up to 8 weeks to come. Please note l am waiting on a mother board for my tv that was ordered 8 weeks ago from Japan. Don't worry l have a back up and Mr Tumble DVD on repeat is safe

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.