Nystagmite

Supposed over ordering of medication

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 950 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I've been moaned at for doing this twice in the last several months.

I take various medication. I have some I take everyday and some I take when needed. With the latter, that could mean ordering every month or every 2-3 months.

I went to order 2 things Monday. I explained last week that I'm away when I run out. And the other, I've not had for a while and need now. I've not been given the one I need now despite it being something I could run out of pretty quickly. It can also be a pain to get hold of.

They've promised to give it to me tomorrow maybe. Can they just refuse just because I'm supposedly over ordering, even though it's something that I take whenever? I get given 6 at a time and can take up 4 in 24 hours.

Hi Nystagmite

Sorry you haven't had ant responses yet.

Question do you put your repeat prescriptions into the Doctors Surgery by telephone, online, by hand?

I have been in exactly the same position recently myself even though it was all fully authorized by my GP went to collect my medication at pharmacy and not prescription sent over.

I would suggest writing a polite letter to the Practice Manager of your Doctors Surgery but note it FAO Your Doctor and just explain exactly what you do with your medication and if they require you to come in for a review of your medication you will be more than happy to do so (if you have a condition that prevents this just explain as GP should be aware)

Go through the Doctors Surgery's complaint/feedback procedure they should have one.

What it may also be is that the Doctors Surgery Computers have certain ones of your medication marked for review at a certain date and when you are requesting this medication it is being refused due to it needing review but the Doctors Surgery should have informed you of this.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

i also have to order sometime earlier than usual i must admit they are good , however sometimes it does need to be put in front of a doctor after a certain amout of re issues ( in my case any how) but certainly do as the poster above has suggested but make it a polite letter not a moan you will more than likely get a positive response

There’s potentially a few things at play here when it comes to the meds you don’t order very often. So, in order of likelihood these are the possible issues:

1. It’s not actually on your repeat meds, instead it’s issued as an acute script each time it’s requested.

2. It’s an ‘as required’ medication so there’s likely to be no clear dosage/time/usage guidance on the system regarding the meds.

3. It could be showing as being overused on their system and not allow them to print the script without GP approval

4. It could be on your repeats but be limited by the number of issues without GP review, or could have lapsed.

In any case, receptionists aren’t prescribers; so the system which generates the prescriptions is geared towards that and has numerous safeguards built in. Any query at all means that the decision goes to a GP / prescriber and they make the call, that doesn’t happen straightaway (hence the delay) as the GP’s are also dealing with their full day of face to face work and other letters / results / referrals.

So, can they refuse. Yes; absolutely. They’re not in a position to make that decision themselves so the ONLY safe thing to do is to hand the decision to a prescriber. I’d suggest that if you know it’s something you need regularly that you discuss this with your GP, likewise if it’s challenging to get hold of then I’d ask why and what, if any, alternatives there were.

This needn’t ever reach the PM’s desk to be fair if someone had perhaps explained it to you at reception. The items on repeat are there through mutual agreement with you and your doctor with responsibilities on both parties, to ensure that reviews take place, to ensure the dosages and quantities are sufficient and yet not over what is required to be therapeutic and that you only order what you need, when you need them in line with the practice guidance on how long it takes to process a request.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Thanks. They did finally allow me to have the two I needed.