• Tweets

• Hi, thanks for your replies, I wrote to them & this is the reply:   Thank you for your correspondence received on 16 October 2019, concerning the above Penalty Charge Notice. Contravention I have viewed your mitigation and the evidence of the Civil Enforcement Officer on the day in question. The issue is that you parked without clearly displaying a valid pay & display ticket or voucher. Mitigation Whilst you state that you ‘tried to buy a ticket using my card but both machines would not accept a card payment’, there is also the option to pay by phone using the RingGo app if you do not have any cash with you. A grace period of minutes is given to allow drivers time to purchase a ticket, the Officer on patrol observed your vehicle from 12:52 – 12:57 before correctly issuing a Penalty Charge Notice. Conclusion It remains the responsibility of the driver to ensure that there is a parking session in place before leaving their vehicle parked. With this in mind I have upheld the Penalty Charge Notice and rejected your challenge. I will still accept the discounted amount of £25.00, provided payment is received within 14 days of the date of this letter. Payment can be made by post to the address
    • Hello all, hope you are all. Its been rather quiet on the a western front until today. I've received Directions of Questionnaire form N180 in the post. I've still had no copy of cca or cpa that I requested back on 20th August.    Please can you advise me how to proceed now   Thanks in advance Michelle
    • Hi - Quick update. I've spoken to the Holiday Inn Express and they told me to write to them explaining what happened and they'll get the charge cancelled, even though it's a DR+ letter, they confirmed they will talk to PE. It'll take about 4 weeks to cancel. I've sent that off. Have I done enough (for now)? I won't assume this has worked until I get a formal confirmation back.   The other suggestion you had was to write a short 2-liner to PE to ensure they have my correct address as they have failed to get any correspondence to me to date. Should I still do that in parallel? Belt and braces.   Finally - I'm still sitting on my snot-letter to PE re GDPR request. Again - sit on that still for now? If nothing else it gives them work to do that they can't ignore and proves they have my correct address details (or not)   As you might be able to tell, I'm a fan of several lines of attack, but I'll be guided by experience....   Many thanks Choco 
    • yes I moved out in 2014. This is the first I've heard of any outstanding bill! The letter is a 'Payment due' letter, not an official court or claim form at this stage. I have actually had another old energy bill from Lowell (this is what happens when you move house a lot) which came from their solicitors devision with an official country court claim. That bill was from 2014/15. Theres no way of me checking what payments were made or if the amounts are even correct. 
    • kk, thank you    From what I have read, a reconstituted agreement only needs to have the correct name and address.. : /   Is this any use at all, or is it outdated please? I keep finding mixed answers:   Section 61(1)(a) and 127(3)  Consumer Credit Act 1974 that dictates that a creditor must be able to produce a signed document, not necessarily the credit agreement that contains the prescribed terms. This document must include the credit limit, the interest rate and details of how and when a debtor is to discharge his payment options. That failure to produce such a document is capable of rendering the agreement irredeemably unenforceable.     
  • Our picks

Vulpine

Argos Forced to take refund on gift card as debit card used to pay was lost/stolen - What are my rights?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 970 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

Long story, which I will try to keep short for you!

I purchased a Humax Freeview recorder for £199 in Jan 2016 on my debit card.

Over time it developed lots of faults,

such as random crashes,

missed programs,

freezing and even not turning on.

After researching the product online,

I decided to take it for a refund - Lots of similar stories from other users.

This was within a year of purchasing it.

The girl on the till wouldn't refund to my debit card as the card I used to purchase it had been reported lost/stolen.

I was made to take a refund onto a gift card, which I reluctantly accepted, thinking I'd buy another freeview box from them anyway. After reviewing the options, I decided on a £400 TV instead.

Bought the TV and the picture quality was awful, with vertical banding (dark black lines) particularly on one side of the screen and generally poor quality image quality when compared to the 10 year old TV it was replacing!

I took this TV back and swapped for another of the same

- this one also produced a poor quality image,

I got in touch with Argos via their live chat feature on their website today.

The girl I was chatting to called the store that I got the TV from (FastTrack) originally and she came back saying they would refund £200 cash and £200 to my new debit card as long as I could provide the long card number and expiry date.

I printed the chat transcript, called my bank to get these details and took the card number, the transcript and all my receipts into the store for my refund.

They denied ever saying this to the girl at the customer service centre and said that they cannot refund to my card without the card, which I explained was impossible as it was reported lost/stolen!

They wouldn't do it with a printed bank statement showing the original transaction either.

They also said the store has final say on the matter and gave me an 0345 number for head office, which I called tonight only to be told I have to email head office as they were "only customer service, so we don't have the authority to override the store's decision".

No phone number for head office apparently?!:mad2:

Has this happened to anyone here and where do I stand?

I don't want to keep buying "blind" at Argos and would prefer to take my money elsewhere - somewhere I can actually see the TV in action before purchasing.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you're able to give before I write to Argos Head Office tomorrow :)

Looking at their returns and refunds policy suggests the following can be used as a proof of purchase. All of which I can produce.

WHAT COUNTS AS PROOF OF PURCHASE?

Any of these:

• Till/kiosk receipt
  • confirmation email
  • e-receipt
  • your order number

If you can’t find one of the above, don’t worry. We should be able to sort everything out if you have:

• your card/bank statement
  • the email address used to buy your item

Hmm. Surely, as I can provide all the above (bar the stolen/lost payment card) proves I am the person who purchased the Freeview box to start with, so why are they not prepared to refund me?

Hi Vulpine and Welcome to CAG

If you could expand a little with regards to the following...and what you have done since to clarify with your bank ?

" The girl on the till wouldn't refund to my debit card as the card I used to purchase it had been reported lost/stolen. "

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread