• Tweets

• So - I continue to not pay any more?  Until they respond with the info I have asked for?
    • Hello and welcome to CAG. I'll move your thread to the Residential and lettings forum and leave you a link to follow from the Welcome forum.   I'm sorry to hear about your neighbour problems, people should be along to advise later.   Best, HB
    • Your only hope is asking for discretion on the grounds of well you didn't realise you had to pay online you expected a toll booth, you didn't see any sign of any penalty charge amount and basically it's your first time using this toll bridge and you were unaware of the process,.   In the past, for 1st time offence, Merseyflow have responded rejecting the appael but on this one occasion have reduced the penalty to the toll fee.   You might be lucky.
    • Yes, Manxman has put you on the right track.   You need to perform a Statutory Declaration (to declare, on oath, that you knew nothing of the court proceedings against you). You must do this within 21 days of learning about your conviction. You can either do so at a Magistrates' Court for which you will need to make an appointment. They may not be able to fit you in within 21 days but so long as you explain to the court that it was the earliest date available they will accept your declaration. Alternatively you can make the declaration before a solicitor. They may charge you a small fee (£5 - £10).   Once this is done the conviction you have (for failing to provide driver's details) is set aside. The prosecution will almost certainly start proceedings again and in many areas they are now doing so immediately following your statutory declaration. Ideally it would be best if you could see the prosecutor before the court sits (ask when you check in at reception) and offer to plead guilty to the speeding charge provided the FtP charge is dropped. It is a common deal which is usually readily accepted. Under no circumstances should you plead guilty to either offence until you have had the chance to discuss this deal. If the deal is refused you should maintain Not Guilty pleas to both charges. They cannot convict you of speeding (they have no evidence you were driving) and the trial for FtP will be held at a later date. You can then consider your position for that offence.   If they do accept your offer to plead guilty to speeding you might try asking if you can be sentenced at the Fixed Penalty level (£100 and three points) provided the speed is low enough (let me know the speed/limit and I will tell you if it qualifies).. Magistrates have guidance enabling them to do this which says this:   Where a penalty notice could not be offered or taken up for reasons unconnected with the offence itself, such as administrative difficulties outside the control of the offender, the starting point should be a fine equivalent to the amount of the penalty and no order of costs should be imposed. The offender should not be disadvantaged by the unavailability of the penalty notice in these circumstances.   But first things first - make arrangements to do the Stat Dec.
    • This is an article from a couple of years ago about how someone won against the council, but it does mention that there are two sets of signs.   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/driver-wins-appeal-over-mersey-13931137   HB
  • Our picks

• My personal experiences of Future Comms 

Don't touch them owe me £500 since January 2019 make excuse after excuse. Seem they always have software problems sending money out. Keep saying they will call back or email nothing been chasing it now for 6 mths the phone staff always have the same banter we will chase it up and get back to you then nothing!
      • 0 replies
    • Future Comms is a Big Con. How to get out of it. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/417058-future-comms-is-a-big-con-how-to-get-out-of-it/
      • 4 replies
    • Future Comms issues. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/416504-future-comms-issues/
      • 5 replies
    • This is a bit of a lengthy one but I’ll summerise best as possible.

THIS IS HOW THE PHONECALL WENT 

I was contacted by future comms by phone, they stated that they could beat any phone contract I have , (I am a limited company but just myself that needs a business phone and I am the only worker) 
      I told future comms my deal, £110 per month with a phone and a virtual landline, they confirmed that they could beat that, £90 per month with a phone , virtual landline  they also confirmed they would pay Vodafone (previous provider) the termination fee. As I am in business, naturally I was open to making a deal. So we proceeded. 
      Future comms then revealed that the contract would be with PLAN.COM and the airtime would be provided by 02, I instantly told them that this would break the deal as I have poor 02 signal in the house where I live as my partner is on 02 and constantly complaining about bad signal
      the salesman assured me he would send a signal booster box out with the phone so I would have perfect signal.
      so far so good.....
      i then explained this is the only mobile phone I use for business and pleasure, so therefore I didn’t want any disconnection time in the slightest between the switchover from Vodafone to 02
      the salesman then confirmed that the existing phone would only be disconnected once the new phone was switched on.
      so far so good....
      • 14 replies
Vulpine

Argos Forced to take refund on gift card as debit card used to pay was lost/stolen - What are my rights?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 845 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

Long story, which I will try to keep short for you!

I purchased a Humax Freeview recorder for £199 in Jan 2016 on my debit card.

Over time it developed lots of faults,

such as random crashes,

missed programs,

freezing and even not turning on.

After researching the product online,

I decided to take it for a refund - Lots of similar stories from other users.

This was within a year of purchasing it.

The girl on the till wouldn't refund to my debit card as the card I used to purchase it had been reported lost/stolen.

I was made to take a refund onto a gift card, which I reluctantly accepted, thinking I'd buy another freeview box from them anyway. After reviewing the options, I decided on a £400 TV instead.

Bought the TV and the picture quality was awful, with vertical banding (dark black lines) particularly on one side of the screen and generally poor quality image quality when compared to the 10 year old TV it was replacing!

I took this TV back and swapped for another of the same

- this one also produced a poor quality image,

I got in touch with Argos via their live chat feature on their website today.

The girl I was chatting to called the store that I got the TV from (FastTrack) originally and she came back saying they would refund £200 cash and £200 to my new debit card as long as I could provide the long card number and expiry date.

I printed the chat transcript, called my bank to get these details and took the card number, the transcript and all my receipts into the store for my refund.

They denied ever saying this to the girl at the customer service centre and said that they cannot refund to my card without the card, which I explained was impossible as it was reported lost/stolen!

They wouldn't do it with a printed bank statement showing the original transaction either.

They also said the store has final say on the matter and gave me an 0345 number for head office, which I called tonight only to be told I have to email head office as they were "only customer service, so we don't have the authority to override the store's decision".

No phone number for head office apparently?!:mad2:

Has this happened to anyone here and where do I stand?

I don't want to keep buying "blind" at Argos and would prefer to take my money elsewhere - somewhere I can actually see the TV in action before purchasing.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you're able to give before I write to Argos Head Office tomorrow :)

Looking at their returns and refunds policy suggests the following can be used as a proof of purchase. All of which I can produce.

WHAT COUNTS AS PROOF OF PURCHASE?

Any of these:

• Till/kiosk receipt
  • confirmation email
  • e-receipt
  • your order number

If you can’t find one of the above, don’t worry. We should be able to sort everything out if you have:

• your card/bank statement
  • the email address used to buy your item

Hmm. Surely, as I can provide all the above (bar the stolen/lost payment card) proves I am the person who purchased the Freeview box to start with, so why are they not prepared to refund me?

Hi Vulpine and Welcome to CAG

If you could expand a little with regards to the following...and what you have done since to clarify with your bank ?

" The girl on the till wouldn't refund to my debit card as the card I used to purchase it had been reported lost/stolen. "

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread