Claiming as single for tax credits when I am living with someone

DV0514
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help.

I have made a horrible mistake in not informing tax credits that I resumed a relationship with my partner in early 2015 and started living together. I had every intention of doing so but I became dependent on the money I was receiving and it's become harder and harder to admit to them

What I've been doing!

I have recieved letter asking whether I am living with mr .... (my partner) and to send documents such a bank statements, mortgage statement, car insurance, council tax. My husband is on my council tax as I always intended to tell them he was living with me again. He is also a named driver on my insurance. They want information and docs dating between 1st Nov 16 to 31st Jan 2017. Do I just send them Ono for those dates and see what they say? Or should I come clean about everything straight away. I have already updated my status online yesterday as I wanted to make sure I stopped receiving anymore payments. But instead of giving the actual date he moved in I said he moved in 6th Jan 17. I am now regretting this as I think I've made things worse.

I am terrified that I will be sent to prison for fraud and that I will give birth in prison (i am due 1st may) I also have a 2 year old and a 15 year old.

Please tell me what to do. I can't sleep eat and I have been physically vomiting all day!!

I have also not told my husband. He doesn't know I've been making a single claim. He believes iv been making a claim as a joint couple. We don't have a joint bank account so he was never aware of what I was receiving.

I know there is no excuse for what I have done and I am deeply ashamed of myself.

I know I should just own up to everything but I am worried I will turn this from a civil matter into a criminal one!! I am worried sick!! Don't know what to do??

Calm down... unless you have been in trouble before prison is unlikely.

It sounds to me as if this is being treated as a compliance matter.

How much were you getting a week?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

It hasn't been this much the whole time we have been living together as I was maternity leave for some of it. So wasn't claiming child care until I went back to work until oct 2015

Call them and explain that you have made a gross error of judgement.

Tell them straight away that you're pregnant and not thinking right and offer to repay what's due.

In other words come clean otherwise they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Don't worry about prison, it won't happen.

Also tell your husband because they'll be some cuts in the family budget and he must know.

I've been ringing the number on the letter for most of the day but no one answers it . I am thinking of going to the CAB tomorrow for advice. I read somewhere that they have different numbers to what we are given and are more likely to get through. .

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with something like this that they can share their experience with me?

Hello there.

It's possible that people who've been there as well will spot your thread, but often they seem to take our advice, see a good resolution more often than not and then they don't reappear.

Have a read around this forum for tax credit threads, especially when they're marked as resolved or something similar. Very often, people are surprised about how understanding tax credits are.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

*** update ***

I got through to the tax credits just now and they were brilliant. I told them everything and they said they wouldn't look back over any of the years just the period they were looking at 1st Nov 16 to 31st Jan 17. They ended the joint claim and said to apply as a couple. I will have to pay back the overpayment for this time. Thank you everyone for your replies and advice. I'm so relieved. To anyone going through the same thing. Just call and be up fronts you feel

So much better for it.