Elephant cancelled after auto renewal

x110
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I had a 10 month policy with Elephant that ran out at the end of december, as I am not originally from the UK I wasn't aware that auto-renewal is even a thing. I did not receive any calls/letters from Elephant about a new policy. I received one letter at the end on January with my 1 years NCB with a £133 bill for my new policy that was already cancelled.

Is there any way to clear my history of a cancelled policy?

Thanks.

The account that they had on record was closed months ago, so they couldn't collect payment that's why they cancelled. Sorry didn't add that in the OP.

There is no central database record for such cancellations casused by a payment issue.

You can just arrange Insurance as normal using renewal notice proof of no claims from previous insurance.

Just advise your previous insurers that you had not realised it was an auto renewal, as you are foreign, so not used to British Insurance customs. And you have arranged Insurance elsewhere.

When you arrange Insurance, there is always a question about whether you have ever had a policy cancelled. The reason the question is quite general is that there could be many different reasons for cancellation. Insurers never intended this to mean having to disclose policies cancelled due to a payment issue on an auto renewal.

If you want to be totally clear with your new Insurers you can explain this to them, so they know the situation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sold the car to my brother, but haven't really gotten around to reporting it to the DVLA since he doesn't intend to use it until the summer.

There is no central database record for such cancellations casused by a payment issue.

You can just arrange Insurance as normal using renewal notice proof of no claims from previous insurance.

Just advise your previous insurers that you had not realised it was an auto renewal, as you are foreign, so not used to British Insurance customs. And you have arranged Insurance elsewhere.

When you arrange Insurance, there is always a question about whether you have ever had a policy cancelled. The reason the question is quite general is that there could be many different reasons for cancellation. Insurers never intended this to mean having to disclose policies cancelled due to a payment issue on an auto renewal.

If you want to be totally clear with your new Insurers you can explain this to them, so they know the situation.

Thank you for your answer.

I wrote an email to them about it, but it was just a few days ago, so didn't get an answer from them yet.

I hope it can be resolved, would really hate for it to become an issue later on. Because as I understand it stays with you for... ever?

E: sorry for double posting, saw the answer just after the post.

Axa want to know about cancelled policies for non payment

"Have you ever had insurance cancelled or declared void?

What does this mean?

An example would be an insurance provider stopping a policy before its renewal date. This could be for reasons like failing to pay or providing false information."

Sold the car to my brother, but haven't really gotten around to reporting it to the DVLA since he doesn't intend to use it until the summer.

That's a shame.

If you had sold the vehicle and had a paper trail eg the DVLA had been advised then it would be realively easy to get this resolved by sending them proof you no longer owned the vehicle and for them to lapse the policy from renewal. This would remove the cancellation from your record.

If you genuinely sold the vehicle to your brother and there is proof eg the money for the car being paid into your account then you could send them this proof and ask them to lapse the policy and remove the cancellation. This may or may not work.

Well, I did get the money from him, but since it was a cheap car he paid in cash...

I guess it's my own fault for not knowing just how much different the system here is.

Hopefully I'll get some positive news from Elephant, but for some reason I doubt it.

There is no harm in writing to the Insurer, explaining you sold the vehicle to your brother and asking them to lapse the policy.

Without the documentary evidence I don't think they will believe you but it's worth trying

Sorry to question your answer, but from what I'm reading on other forums some people say that you have to disclose that your previous policy has been cancelled due to non-payment with future insurers and the others agree with you, that you don't.

Do you know where I could find some more solid information on this specific issue?

Sorry to question your answer, but from what I'm reading on other forums some people say that you have to disclose that your previous policy has been cancelled due to non-payment with future insurers and the others agree with you, that you don't.

Do you know where I could find some more solid information on this specific issue?

To be honest. I am totally fed up with this issue, as it is subject to argument on a regular basis. There is no consensus within the Insurance industry. You will not find any solid information.

What the Association of British Insurers has said, is that consumers asked the question as to whether they have ever been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled by Insurers, is that they should answer this question to the best of their knowledge. If they are unsure about whether any cancellation is relevant or not, they should phone the Insurers or brokers they are looking to use.

Most Insurers/brokers are not going to be interested in a cancellation due to a payment issue on an auto renewal, caused by the Insurers not having up to date payment method information.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

To be honest. I am totally fed up with this issue, as it is subject to argument on a regular basis. There is no consensus within the Insurance industry. You will not find any solid information.

What the Association of British Insurers has said, is that consumers asked the question as to whether they have ever been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled by Insurers, is that they should answer this question to the best of their knowledge. If they are unsure about whether any cancellation is relevant or not, they should phone the Insurers or brokers they are looking to use.

Most Insurers/brokers are not going to be interested in a cancellation due to a payment issue on an auto renewal, caused by the Insurers not having up to date payment method information.

Thank you for another great answer.

Hopefully the insurers won't try to charge insane premiums when I explain the situation. Because if I tick the box on the comparison websites that I have had insurance cancelled on me the premiums increase by 500%

Edited by x110

Thank you for another great answer.

Hopefully the insurers won't try to charge insane premiums just because of that, because if I tick the box on the comparison websites that I have had insurance cancelled on me the premiums increase by 500%

Bear in mind that if you have entered your details into comparison websites or Insurers websites, most keep a record of the details you supply so they will be aware of the cancelked policy. If you then try to not declare the cancelled policy some (Not all) will cross check these details either shortly after you've applied or when you make a claim. They will then ask you about whether you've had a policy cancelled or not, the reason for the cancellation and why you did not declare it to them.

If they feel you intentionally miss led them they mayl cancel the policy or if you;ve had a claim refuse to pay the claim. The Insurer finding you have previously obtained a quote through them with a cancellation declared and then subsequently taken a policy out without declaring the claim would generally be viewed as you intentionally miss leading them.

If you're struggling getting decent premiums, one option would be to use Elephant or any of the other Admiral companies if you a) resolve the issue with them by sending them a letter or b) pay them the outstanding amount.

If you go down this path make sure they are aware of the previously cancelled policy.

P.S Elephant / Admiral are very hot on cross checking quotes and would write to you shortly after taking a policy out if you had obtained a quote with them with a cancelled policy declared and then taken a policy out without declaring it. They would ask for an explantion and then depending on the answer cancel.

What I meant, was I would get a quote without ticking that box, phone the company that gave me the best deal and then try to explain my situation.

Because I am 22 and only have 1 years NCB, my quotes went from around 1.1k~ to 5k~

But I will try to resolve the issue with Elephant, but from what I understand even if I pay them the amount they're asking from me my record will remain the same.