• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Personal Guarantee "Travis Perkins" - now being called upon

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I said in previous posts that you would probably struggle on this one as it is one of the newer account application forms that you signed that clearly says "Credit Guarantee". The main thrust of the arguement is not misrepresentation but that you signed in as a consumer and not in a business capacity. You need to go back at them with that re-stating the case law I mentioned previously

You then need to reiterate the reasonable test

As stated initially I always thought you'd struggle with this one but keep going back to them and offer a bit more.

TODDLE2U ;

are you still active on this forum and can you assist me with a pernsoal guarantee which has now been called upon from Travis Perkins.

A lot of what's been said is similar to my situation.

Credit application forms were signed in 2014,

and like other we didn't know what we were signing for and a quick signature was given after form completed by office staff.

There is no mention to seek independent legal advice on the form,

should this be stated clearly?

Dear all,

I am new to CAG.

I came across this site through a Google search "Travis Perkins Personal Guarantee" and have been reading some very useful information, however I fear as these posts were many years ago help may not be possible.

Travis Perkins is now calling upon a signed personal guarantee which was signed in 2014.

Both I and my partner did not understand what we were signing for

(as others confessed secretary completed the form and we signed as normal,

thinking our Ltd status would cover us in default).

We went into liquidation last year and the current state of affairs is as follows;

Debt being chased jointly and severely is circa £23,500;

we are past the 28 day writ period to reply to court to defend or time to pay.

We wait to see if they are taking a decree.

My partner has made no attempt to co-operate as he rents a house and I have made several final settlement offers through my lawyer whom they have rejected, I cannot afford to offer anymore.

The offers were based on a loan from family as I also am currently unemployed.

I wish I had come across this site sooner

as I believe I could defend this as others have done.

I am not sure if the time to defend has now passed as we didn't reply to court after the writ?

Any thoughts on this?

My lawyer doesn’t think I have a defence hence not replying to court.

Do I need another lawyer?

I am being single targeted here and need help putting something to Travis Perkins that would be accepted prior to any bankruptcy proceedings.

Form Reads as follows;

HEADER: CREDIT ACCOUNT APPLICATION

SUB SECTION WITHIN FORM:

PERSONAL CREDIT GUARANTEE to be completed by director(s) of a limited company/members of LLP

In consideration of your agreement to supply goods on credit to the Company described above applying for credit herein ('the company')

I/We the undersigned being Director(s)/member(s) of the Company/LLP hereby unconditionally and personal, jointly and severely guarantee payment of all monies due and owing by the Company to Travis Perkins Trading Company Limited, its subsidiaries and successors, including all monies due and owing by reason of any increase in the credit limit granted by Travis Perkins Trading Company Limited from time to time following review of the company's credit account and note the additional terms below,

For any personal credit guarantee

(1) any credit limit on a credit account being the initial credit limit, which would be subject to increase; and

(2) if the credit amount is increased, it will be covered by the personal guarantee and notice of increase to the customer is deemed to be notice to the Personal Guarantor and if the customer uses the increased credit limit, then this is deemed consent be the Personal Guarantor to the increase in credit limit.

In my defence

I signed the form in the capacity of the co director and not personally.

Also the credit limit could have been increased by my co director or secretary or even Travis Perkins themselves.

I therefore am being personally held liable for this.

I asked Travis to send me written proof of the increased credit limit being requested by us and they have 1 e mail which I agreed to have it increased to £10k but nothing further on this.

I stated to them that surely if you are increasing the limits I should have received a letter personal addressed to me to state this and sent to my home address, they replied with a copy of the letters they sent to my work address for the attention of directors and the company name. These were not seen by me.

Can someone help with what my move should be?

Toddle2u are you still active on this site?

Any help please, very much appreciated

Thread moved to General Legal Issues...please continue to post here to your thread Golf123.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

do I understand you are in Scotland and this is a decree they already have?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what have you received from the court [the form please] summary claim?

who is the pursuer

and whats the return and hearing dates.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The court paper work is the initial writ pursued by Travis Perkins, the return date has passed to defend or ask for "time to pay order"

DX100uk can you let me know what angle you are possibly thinking?

well you say theres no decree

i'm try rto find out what cause [writ] you have received.

need dates

and what you did or did not doo

so get telling us.

and they

Sorry my law understanding isn't great.

The "writ" as I am calling it is Form 5 "citation where time to pay direction or time order may be applied" accompanied with form 03 "time to pay" and form 07 "intention to defend".

Reply date was end of January and i did not reply at all, as advised by my lawyer.

He said I had no defence, nor did I want a time to pay.

I had offered all I could in final settlement therefor the next move has to be made by travis Perkins in his opinion as they have rejected all my offers and frustratingly not came back with any counter offer.

They have simply rejected the offers.

Can you help me?

sorry your sols wants shooting

have you been served with a copy of the agreement and the signed PG?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?325859-Personal-Guarantee-Validity&p=3608380#post3608380

and they

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi, Yes I was served copies of these at the Start of January with the court citation and given 21 days to respond.

I see from Toddle2U 's help on other threads stating "acting as a consumer" as the director of a company and not an individual to which Travis Perkins dismissed this by saying it was a business to business agreement. The court citation paper work Form 03 states your the time to pay is allowed under the consumer credit act 1974.

Does anyone recommend a good lawyer I could contact to act on my behalf and get closure to this please?

DX100UK, should I defend this and refuse to pay anything or stick with my current offer?

no we don't nor can recommend anyone

however

have you not contacted Govan Law Centre?

it cant be B2B IF its regulated by the CCA

so they are spinning you a yarn there.?

and that IMHO is your defence and you should get something in about it.

you IMHO are sadly being had.

and they

can you scan up the agreement and the PG please

to ONE multipage PDF

follow the upload

and they

How much was the initial credit limit that you agreed to Golf ?

Did you agree to further credit limit increases ? If not then your Liability is for only 5K.

In your upload...the terms & conditions refer to hiring equipment..they are not connected to your application.

There should be a further section on the back of the contract which is a 'status enquiry: continuing specific authority' which should to be forwarded to your bank.

This is an instruction to the bank to provide Travis Perkins with a reference on request.

In the part which asked the bank for 'your trustworthiness of business to the extent of £..........

If you personally only put in the amount of £5k and its not been updated or agreed by your bank or yourself then your liability is still £5K

Screwfix Direct operate a very similar application/PG/ system...and its been found to be legally invalid many times and we have had success in defending their claims in the past.

Regards

Andy

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?319881-Personal-Guarantee-Problem&p=4033712#post4033712

sorry been busy

more to follow.

I've done a lot of work on the forum to highlight relevant threads now.

and they now have travis perkins in the title so are searchable.

andy has pointed to the bottom line

there is also much reliance upon when you signed the 'agreement' or PG...it's age

and who did it for you before you signed it.. like you have outlined

and what was explained to you by TP before you signed it...

IMHO I would offer a short settlement.

£5k appears to be your actual liability, start at £1k

MOST claims here that were defended by the OP got a settlement of less than 20% without prejudice.

its telling that the best authority was TODDLE2U ;

whom you tagged at the start if this thread.

they actually have no thread

I'm gonna rectify that over the next few days.

i'm sure andy will echo...

it might pay you to ring them DIRECTLY and offer a sum to settle it [£1500??]

just musing....

and they

• 1 year later...
What happened with your case please? I am having the same thing happen to me now and its awful! I had no idea what I'd signed

Why would you sign anything that you “had no idea what I’d signed” / no idea what you were signing?

Edited by Andyorch
edited quote