BankFodder BankFodder

Anarchy in the UK

Motor insurance dodgy email

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1114 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My motor insurance due for renewal next month, and today received a spam email (BISL) encouraging me to renew direct, using the highly attractive offer of a £5 Greggs gift voucher!

I phoned them and asked why I should take up their kind offer bearing in mind the fact that renewing direct might well cost over £100 more than buying exactly the same cover online.

Other than some pointless waffle obviously from a well practised script, no real answer to my question.

Thing is here though is they are offering an incentive to customers to renew direct, which is going to cost them more money, and seems to me that this is getting very close to obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception?

Wonder if anyone has any views on this [problem] emailing, which I guess is likely to become more and more common as time goes on?

Edited by honeybee13
Unwanted word removed.

Thing is here though is they are offering an incentive to customers to renew direct, which is going to cost them more money, and seems to me that this is getting very close to obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception?

You can look online for alternative providers, or if they offer an online discount.

Where is the deception? (unless they are also saying "this is our best possible price, online or not").

Additionally, "pecuniary advantage by deception" was in the Theft Act 1968, and has been repealed (by the Fraud Act 2006).

Its replacement is "fraud by false representation", so

what is the deception or false representation??. You can accept their offer or check online. Unless they are making a false statement how can it be deception / false representation?

Last year I renewed cover with the same company online for £125 less than the quoted renewal cost. Cover exactly the same, and my circumstances and vehicle both the same, and no claims.

Clearly the offer of a £5 gift voucher is designed to encourage customers to renew direct, which is going to cost them more money. Maybe thats not actual fraud, but its certainly not particularly honest.............

Not sure many people are going to be comfortable with paying more money for exactly the same product, when there is no real reason for differences between the 2 prices, and nothing to justify renewing direct costing quite a bit more?

You would have to be a bit of a doughnut to use BISL anyway. A half baked idea. One picnic short of a sausage roll :lol: i have heard of so many issues with them, particularly costs of mid term policy changes.

They are an intermediary who buy Insurance underwriting wholesale and then top up with whatever amount they think they can charge. I had a interesting discussion with someone online who works for them in their complaints dept and they receive complaints every day, about their renewal rates being so much higher than their new business premiums. If you complain, they will often reduce the premium to match the new customer quote, if the cover is the same.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes previously they did reduce what I had been charged renewal price to online price, but it took a great deal of effort to achieve that. I would guess complaints department very busy indeed, but get the feeling that unless you want to pay quite a bit more money, all the insurance providers are much the same?