lovetobake

Over 50 and on the scrapheap

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 931 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Flora

With all due respect employers can ask your age but what they mustn't do is discriminate because of it. Sometimes indicating age can be a sign of experience.

What is you advice on putting a name on the CV. Would you for example put Rishi Mistry - a name I chose at random which would suggest male of Asian decent or R Mistry , unknown gender of Asian decent?

It is probably easier though with the age just not to put anything although much can be deduced from experience and qualifications.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Definately sympathy fr you- in my work ( physically demanding ) its a young mans game - but its my experience and qualifications that get me thru' -def recommend further training / upping yr education. ( Am 50 too ) K

I'm also over 50 and I've just become unemployed within the last 6months, been teaching. In order not to get into a rut I am trying to get into volunteering but finding it quite difficult. There was a time when you could just volunteer but now you have to complete s many forms and even then it is still not easy getting one.

Any advice will be welcome.

what subject did you teach? Where I live always plenty of jobs for p/t teachers and TA's but the hours and pay tends to be pretty poor as based around a 2-3 hr day either side of lunchtime 5 days/wk and they expect you to chuck in a bit of unpaid extra time to cover.

Some colleeges where they do vocational courses more promising but they do tend to have an oversupply of candidates offering the more practical courses that are considered to be "leisure" such as upholstery and even horticulture.

Some people say do not put anything that could show your age on a CV so DOB would then be out. However, people overabout 47 will have done O levels and CSEs which kinda give the game away.

As for the WP , I'm sorry but to say if you really want a job you will get one is not true. There will be good areas and advisors and bad areas and advisors.

It is a bit pot luck

I totally agree.

Trying hard dose not guarantee you a favorable outcome in the jobs market, if there are 2 vacancies and 20 people go to that interview there is nothing to say you will succeed,one can only try and hope they are eventually lucky.

I'm also over 50 and I've just become unemployed within the last 6months, been teaching. In order not to get into a rut I am trying to get into volunteering but finding it quite difficult. There was a time when you could just volunteer but now you have to complete s many forms and even then it is still not easy getting one.

Any advice will be welcome.

They are crying out for teachers , particularly in STEM subjects I.e science based subjects , there are even extraordinarily generous bursaries to do PGCEs in some of these subjects. Mind you, I could never teach... as the saying goes, love children just can't eat a whole one.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .