CV's - do they need to be publicly searchable?

Jaybee in CF
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

No it does not.

A CV contains personal information, and it is your decision as to who sees it. If this adviser insists on the CV being searchable, ask him/her to point out the regulations that require this then ask how it is compatible with the Data Protection Act.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

No it does not.

A CV contains personal information, and it is your decision as to who sees it. If this adviser insists on the CV being searchable, ask him/her to point out the regulations that require this then ask how it is compatible with the Data Protection Act.

Thanks, one less thing to sort out!! She didn't seem particularly bright, probably just reels off the same BS to her other 'customers' and took me by surprise as I'm sure you need to CREATE the account. I would imagine the existence of the account must be viewable, but there's no obligation for any data within to be accessible. That distinction probably gets blurred (deliberately) by the DWP trying to get sneaky peeks at our job search.

If she asks again, give a noncommittal answer along the lines of "Um, well, I think it is, but it might depend on the file format and the software used".

I find asking them if they use LaTeX usually gets blank looks :madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Yes your choice same as the UJM is is still your choice if you allow the access to view or not.

A lot of this is down to the senior management who don't have a clue what it is like to be a work coach and who "encourage" the office managers to "encourage" their staff to aim to improve the customer service by helping people in to employment. The senior management forget that there is a human being involved on both sides of the desk. They are only interested in the labour market figures and not getting a telling off for being one of the lower achieving offices.

ooopps did I type that!?!?

Have to be careful here imo, people have been sanctioned for refusing,the best way is to create the CV or edit a online example and show them that with ALL your personal details redacted.

This will give you a much easier ride than refusing to show anything.

My bad just realised it was on UJM not a work coach asking to view it.

If you get sanctioned for refusing, then you can appeal and win.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If you get sanctioned for refusing, then you can appeal and win.

I agree but in some cases as in the instance with the work coach asking to view it some appeals have been refused but regardless, the appeal process is a fundamentally flawed, lengthy and stressful process and not guaranteed a positive outcome so I personally think the path of least resistance is the best option and your on far safer ground should the sanction be based on redacting personal information lawfully rather than not making every effort to secure work as any reasonable person would or however they might phrase it.

These work coaches do not know the rights and wrong nor do they decide if a sanction is valid they just trigger one if they believe something is amiss we suffer the consequences.

Another to consider is that you shouldn't really just have 1 CV ideally you should have a basic CV which you then tweak and tailor for each job vacancy that you apply for. The basics remain the same such as you personal details, previous employment and education/qualifications but you personal statement changes or should change. So you could always say that as you change your CV each time is it realistic to have 1 searchable CV at the beginning of your claim as you are making the most of your transferable skills and don't want to miss out just because that one CV doesn't have the key words picked up by search engines that a lot of companies use. So you could have a basic CV that you could agree to show your work coach and then send the updated and most most appropriate CV for the job advert.

Hope that makes sense been a long week