Homeserve mistaken about faulty sofa......need advice??

divadeb
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2636 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, wanting some advice for my sister.

In January 2016 my sister bought 2 matching sofas from the Range online website. Everything was ok with the sofas until December 2016 when her husband pushed the sofa to make room for there Christmas tree. He noticed one of the sofas arms very loose, he had a look and notice a bolt had come away from the wood frame.

She rang the Range and they said they would send someone from Homeserve to have a look at the sofa. A couple of weeks ago the guy turned up and promptly told her he was independent and didn't work for the Range or for my sister. I was at her house and also heard him say this. She explained that her husband had noticed the arm loose when he tried to push the sofa a few inches to make way for the Xmas tree. He examined the sofa and told her the range would be in touch, and left.

On the 18th January my sister got a letter from the Range saying it's not a manufacturing fault that the sofa is damaged. It goes on to say the damaged was caused by the sofa been dragged across a carpeted floor. This isn't the case as my sister never used the word " dragged" ........ She has rang the Range and complained and as a gesture of good will they offered to collect the damaged sofa and give her a refund, only problem been is she bought 2 sofas so she is going to be left with one odd sofa.

Does she have any rights as we both think this is out of order. The sofa should not be broken after 11 months of use, there is only my sister and her hubby using the sofa( children grown up and live away)

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks

Edited by honeybee13
Paras added, accusation removed.

She doesn't have a rug so there's no problem there........ Why offer her a refund ?? Why not a repair? ....... If you buy a pair of curtains and one of the curtains was faulty they would replace the pair not just one. My sister bought a pair of sofas so why should she be left with 1 odd sofa. She just wants a replacement sofa, not a refund.

Refund versus repair. For the shop it is most likely easier / cheaper to offer a refund rather than to bother with repairing; also they may not be set up to repair, additionally it may not be an easy repair. If they are giving her a refund she could buy the same sofa again with the money.

Did you sister buy a pair of sofa's, or two sofa's the same? I suspect the latter

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

She bought 2 of the same sofa but they don't sell this sofa anymore. So she is now going to have odd sofas in her living room. I think she might take the refund if it's still on offer. Don't know how she's going to try and get a match, it's not an easy colour :???:

She bought 2 of the same sofa but they don't sell this sofa anymore. So she is now going to have odd sofas in her living room. I think she might take the refund if it's still on offer. Don't know how she's going to try and get a match, it's not an easy colour :???:

Chuck a pair of matching throws over them as a short term solution.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

UPDATE.........

My sister has been on the phone for nearly 2 weeks with the range asking to see if she can have a repair to the sofa instead of the re-fund. She got a verbal quote from a local repair company who said the timber that has been used is cheap and that's why it's broken. The range wanted the quote in writing but the repair company wanted to charge her £25 for it She told the range this and they said she would not be reimbursed for the quote. They then told her to ring Homesrve to get them to give her a quote, She rang them and they want to charge her £45 for a call out and quote. So today she rang the Range and asked for the refund they said she could have, they are now saying she cannot have a refund as the upholstery department have now said no.... She cannot understand why after 2 weeks of been offered a refund they are now not giving it to her.....Any advice please

Edited by divadeb
Wrong words used

My sister would pay for the quote but the range have told her they will look at it but might not pay for the repair. Her argument is that for 2 weeks they offered her a refund of £300 and to collect her sofa. She really just wanted a repair costing approx £165....... much cheaper than a refund. Now there saying no refund ........ She can't understand why there saying no all of a sudden.

Have you asked them why they have now changed their minds?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Matiin2006........ She has asked them and they told her that the upholstery department has said no to the repair after they received the Homeserve report . They got the the report over 2 weeks ago, so somethings not right.