Various Problems With Employer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wanted to ask for some advice for my husband.

My husband works in a factory.

The building is massive.

As of late his employer has started turning off the heating during cold weather.

His boss is saying that the heating will only go on between the hours of 6AM until 9AM.

Nobody apart from the supervisors are allowed to touch the heating without his permission.

Today, where he is it was 13 degrees.

The boss is also saying that if anyone goes off sick for 10 consecutive days, he will refuse to pay for bank holidays.

Is this also legal!?

There is also talk of the employer putting up cameras on the shop floor to watch staff. Surely that comes under privacy laws!?

We are concerned that by turning off the heating in cold weather, this will affect the health of the workers on the shop floor.

Also, the boss is not approachable. His attitude is "If you don't like it there's the door".

He also won't recognise unions and threatens to sack anyone who joins one.

I wanted to ask for some advice for my husband.

My husband works in a factory.

The building is massive.

As of late his employer has started turning off the heating during cold weather.

His boss is saying that the heating will only go on between the hours of 6AM until 9AM.

Nobody apart from the supervisors are allowed to touch the heating without his permission.

Today, where he is it was 13 degrees.

The boss is also saying that if anyone goes off sick for 10 consecutive days, he will refuse to pay for bank holidays.

Is this also legal!?

There is also talk of the employer putting up cameras on the shop floor to watch staff. Surely that comes under privacy laws!?

We are concerned that by turning off the heating in cold weather, this will affect the health of the workers on the shop floor.

Also, the boss is not approachable. His attitude is "If you don't like it there's the door".

He also won't recognise unions and threatens to sack anyone who joins one.

The problem he faces in terms of the temperature is that temperatures are guidance only - as such there is no law that he can quote that will mean the employer has to obey.

Cameras - provided there are warning notices and they are not placed in certain areas like toilets or showers, then the employer can do this. There is guidance and some law around it, but again, nothing per se stops them doing this. There's some more information here http://www.icaew.com/en/archive/library/subject-gateways/business-management/smes/small-business-update/2015-01/using-cctv-to-monitor-the-workplace

If you can evidence that someone is sacked for joining a union, that is one of the exceptions to the two year rule and is unfair dismissal. Proving it, of course, is the problem.

I am afraid that with employers like this there are only two solutions:- the entire workforce calls his bluff, joins a union and they all fight back; or you find another job. Being a lone voice crying in the wilderness about guidances and rules will only result in your being sacked.

The problem he faces in terms of the temperature is that temperatures are guidance only - as such there is no law that he can quote that will mean the employer has to obey.

Cameras - provided there are warning notices and they are not placed in certain areas like toilets or showers, then the employer can do this. There is guidance and some law around it, but again, nothing per se stops them doing this. There's some more information here http://www.icaew.com/en/archive/library/subject-gateways/business-management/smes/small-business-update/2015-01/using-cctv-to-monitor-the-workplace

If you can evidence that someone is sacked for joining a union, that is one of the exceptions to the two year rule and is unfair dismissal. Proving it, of course, is the problem.

I am afraid that with employers like this there are only two solutions:- the entire workforce calls his bluff, joins a union and they all fight back; or you find another job. Being a lone voice crying in the wilderness about guidances and rules will only result in your being sacked.

Thank you for that useful clarification.

But what about the fact that the employer has refused to pay bank holiday if a worker goes on sick for 10 consecutive days!?

Thank you for that useful clarification.

But what about the fact that the employer has refused to pay bank holiday if a worker goes on sick for 10 consecutive days!?

Ah sorry - forgot that one. No, that wouldn't be lawful UNLESS they get more than 28 days statutory leave (which with an employer like this, I doubt). An employer can sanction what they consider excessive sickness, with, for example, no overtime being allowed. And technically, if they have more than 28 days holiday the employer could amend the contract to make the additional days dependant on levels of sick leave (but they would have to amend the contract). But again, if this happened to him - is he going to make a stand, at the risk of his job? He could take legal action after leaving to recover unpaid wages, but doing it whilst still there, or even complaining about it, is the fastest route to the dole queue.

I am afraid that the problem with employers like this is that they don't give a **** about the law or about guidance. They maintain the conditions because people are too desperate to hang on to their jobs and too frightened to organise and fight back. And individuals who fight back are picked off one by one. It isn't pleasant hearing, but it's the fact. I wish it wasn't. But wishes don't change that. Sorry.

• Haha 1

Ah sorry - forgot that one. No, that wouldn't be lawful UNLESS they get more than 28 days statutory leave (which with an employer like this, I doubt). An employer can sanction what they consider excessive sickness, with, for example, no overtime being allowed. And technically, if they have more than 28 days holiday the employer could amend the contract to make the additional days dependant on levels of sick leave (but they would have to amend the contract). But again, if this happened to him - is he going to make a stand, at the risk of his job? He could take legal action after leaving to recover unpaid wages, but doing it whilst still there, or even complaining about it, is the fastest route to the dole queue.

I am afraid that the problem with employers like this is that they don't give a **** about the law or about guidance. They maintain the conditions because people are too desperate to hang on to their jobs and too frightened to organise and fight back. And individuals who fight back are picked off one by one. It isn't pleasant hearing, but it's the fact. I wish it wasn't. But wishes don't change that. Sorry.

Thanks again.

Another issue with the boss has come up today.

Because he has turned the heating off in cold weather people having been making themselves hot drink in the canteen.

The boss has said that you are not allowed to make hot drinks at least 30 minutes before any break.

Is this legal considering he's turned off the heating!?

Sorry, not clear in my answer:

Yes it is legal for the owner to say this as there are defined legal brakes required in the working day.

No it is not grounds for a claim if the owner says when brakes are taken.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

I appreciate that you are trying to help your husband. But if you finally come up with something that is actually unlawful, what do you think happens then? Someone still had to do something about it. There aren't any employment police. You can't expect someone else to do something about it. It still has to be him and his colleagues. Which comes back to join a union or find another job. Personally I'd go with the former, but in the cool light of day, I'd suggest the latter. Not even a union can make an employer like this a good one. I doubt people stay long. I doubt many people have great wages. I doubt many people can claim unfair dismissal. He'll think nothing of sacking the whole lot of them because there is always someone more desperate to step into their shoes. What might be my personal inclination doesn't really doesn't measure up in reality in a situation like this. The employer won't back down to a nice chat. It would be industrial action. Who is going to take that? And do you think they would win?

I appreciate that you are trying to help your husband. But if you finally come up with something that is actually unlawful, what do you think happens then? Someone still had to do something about it. There aren't any employment police. You can't expect someone else to do something about it. It still has to be him and his colleagues. Which comes back to join a union or find another job. Personally I'd go with the former, but in the cool light of day, I'd suggest the latter. Not even a union can make an employer like this a good one. I doubt people stay long. I doubt many people have great wages. I doubt many people can claim unfair dismissal. He'll think nothing of sacking the whole lot of them because there is always someone more desperate to step into their shoes. What might be my personal inclination doesn't really doesn't measure up in reality in a situation like this. The employer won't back down to a nice chat. It would be industrial action. Who is going to take that? And do you think they would win?

He's looking for another job now as he's had enough of the way how the boss treats his staff.

He's been there 24 years, and he gets no full sickness pay only ssp, he gets nothing for christmas, and he went for 6 years without a pay rise.

He's had enough now and is now looking elswhere.

If everyone jined a union en masse the boss would be inable to sack anyone as the rest of the workforce would be gone. No, production, no-one to train the new people who would be expected to toe the line. However that is not a real expectation so these cavemen continue to get away with things

If everyone jined a union en masse the boss would be inable to sack anyone as the rest of the workforce would be gone. No, production, no-one to train the new people who would be expected to toe the line. However that is not a real expectation so these cavemen continue to get away with things

I agree entirely. Although employers have been known to sack everyone AND get away with it!

Years ago i worked with a chap whose father owned the biggest machine tool shop in the southern hemisphere. There was an industrial dispute and the managers dismissed a large part of the workforce. Mr P then sacked the managers because he knew that his profits relied on the workers skills, which were less transferrable than those of the managers who had handled the dispute badly.

Times change and in most businesses the management has improved massively as the rubbish ones lost their jobs but in many smaller enterprises in mature markets the companies are reliant on low wages and abuse of position to keep going in competition with better managed firms. The bad bosses cant see a different way to progress as TBH their management skill are limited so as they say, when your only tool is a hammer every problem becomes a nail.

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.