Attending redundancy meeting while signed off for stress

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2651 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, last week potential redundancies where announced in my company, one within my department. Yesterday after having my ability scored against my colleague, I was told that I have been put forward for "possible" redundancy. I have just today been signed off for stress (this situation aside, I am on medication for alcoholism, anxiety and depression), and want to know, before I inform my employer of my sick note, whether they can still expect me to attend a meeting scheduled for this Monday to discuss whether or not there is a role elsewhere in the company (there isn't, it's a formality to my dismissal).

I certainly do not feel up to the meeting. My face stings and is red from where I have been clawing at it all week, and I suffer sudden bouts of sobbing, Tourette's and rage. Aside from feeling deep anxiety about attending the meeting at this stage (I know I can't keep my job just by putting it off!), I have an hours commute, and am scared to spend 2 hours alone with myself in a car.

All advice appreciated, I'm such a mess.

well, they can carry on without you if need be. What are you hoping for? You dont seem that worried about finding another role in your workplace so perhaps redundancy will be in your interest for the short and medium term (depending on how long you have been with your employer) and you will at least leave with a positive note regarding a reference etc. What you mustnt do is reject any offer of redeployment if it is made to you but you dont have to leap to attention as soon as the official whistle is blown to start the consultation period.

However, you cant hide from your problems for ever so try and use the time you have to get some help with them. The redundancy will fund some of the time you will need to get things going along the right track.

All I care about at the moment is not having to attend the meeting on Monday now that I am signed off work. I don't care if they proceed without me or defer it until I am well, I just don't want to have to turn up to this meeting so that I can fall to pieces in front of them.

My question, in it's simplest form I guess would be: Does a sick note cover meetings that do not directly relate to my work, such as a HR-related meeting?

Thanks.

All I care about at the moment is not having to attend the meeting on Monday now that I am signed off work. I don't care if they proceed without me or defer it until I am well, I just don't want to have to turn up to this meeting so that I can fall to pieces in front of them.

My question, in it's simplest form I guess would be: Does a sick note cover meetings that do not directly relate to my work, such as a HR-related meeting?

Thanks.

No it doesn't. Fit notes are for "normal work" - so they do not exclude attending meetings to do with discipline or redundancy. To do so they need to specifically state this. But few employers are going to insist on this - although in this case they will almost certainly go ahead without you. They will not want to delay a redundancy, and it wouldn't be good for you either to have it still hanging over you.

I hope that once this is over you will be able to focus on getting yourself into a better place and moving on. Redundancy is always a terrible feeling for everyone, but don't let it ruin your life. Get the help you need, then get back "on the horse".

effectively you accept their right to carry on without you. I doubt if any decision would be differentas your illness is not a matter for disability discrimination in the same way that someone with cancer would have certain rights. It is the job that is joing and you are just the person tat fills that position so theoretically you persoanl situation isnt influential and the personal profile is about ability in the sense of training, experience, output etc.