Part time work and Benefits advice

Claire0o0
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2600 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm just wanting a little advice please.

I could have the opportunity of a part time job of 10 hrs per week which is over 5 nights which is 2 hrs and the wage would be £72 per week but paid monthly.

Now my partner claims ESA for both of us as

he is unable to work..

we receive £115 a week ESA and Carers Allowance of £62 per week which I receive to care for my partner.

my partner also receives £450 month DLA.

we receive housing benefit of £89 per week but that is paid direct to council.

Now would I be better with the part time job or would we lose some of the money.

would we have to pay rent/council tax etc.

all I was told is that we would lose £30 ESA per week but not sure if we'd have to pay rent and more council tax.

Thank you in advance.

Assuming your partner's ESA is Income Related, you will not lose Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction if you take a part-time job. Your entitlement to those is "passported" - in other words, you get them because your get ESA(IR) and not because of your household income. As long as you remain entitled to at least £0.01 of ESA(IR) you should retain HB/CTR entitlement as well.

As far as the ESA itself goes, there is a small earnings disregard. I can't remember the amount exactly - I think it may be £10 per week (or perhaps £20 because your partner receives DLA). In any case, this amount will be ignored when your ESA is calculated, so you should be at least a little better off. Whether that's worth it or not depends, of course, on your circumstances.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thank you so very much for the reply. as long as I won't lose any ESA, Carers or DLA or even have to pay housing benefit should be really good. we used to get tax credits and child benefit but lost it due to daughter turning 20 so has left a hole as we were used to getting this little bit money each week and now only receive our esa fortnightly and carers weekly.

If this extra little bit of money for 2 hrs work over 5 nights helps us out without losing anything or having to pay out rent etc it will really help.

Hoping this is posted in correct place. My daughter got her first job in October at a store that was opening in November. the contract she signed was for permanant part time and everything seemed great with extra hours given to her over Christmas period. she was then pulled into the managers office just after the holidays where the manager told her she had a list of other peoples names and they all had to sign a new contract saying there had been errors in the first contracts and it was temporary so my daughter ended up signing this new contract only to then find out no one else was being seen to sign another contract.

She never realised at time but the manager never even gave her a copy of this new contract so she only has the first one. Yesterday she went into work and noticed her name has been scribbled off the rota from next Saturday and it looks like they are now finishing her though not any bit of notice has been given to her.

How can they get away with things like this. its just so unfair to play with people like this. they were all happy with her and shes a good tiller.

She would be entitled to notice - of one week unless the contract states more - but I am afraid that beyond that she is not entitled to challenge a dismissal. She would require two years service for that.

I realise that this may be difficult for her, but she really needs to ask them the question as to why she isn't on the rota. Just guessing at the reason isn't sensible.

Sad but true. The change in the contract is largely academic, as even if the second, 'temporary' contract had not been signed the employer could just issue notice that your daughter's services were no longer required. The word 'permanent' has no real meaning - as per the above an employer can let a member of staff go for any reason so long as it is not for a protected, discriminatory, characteristic - and if that can be proved, and for the first two years of service the employee has no recourse to an Employment Tribunal.

Your daughter needs to ask what is going on and if the answer is as she suspects, start looking for a new job. She would be entitled to notice and holiday pay but nothing else

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

The only real change may be the notice period in the 2 contracts. There is a legal minimum notice so if the employer follows that or offers better terms then that si the end of the matter. She will also be entitled to accrued holiday pay based on 28 days paid leave per year so she should make sure that she receives this. She amy have to remind them to pay it though.

Re-read my post #5 above - there is a small earnings disregard for ESA(IR), but the rest of your wages are taken from your ESA. You will be better off each week by the amount of the disregard. You will not lose Housing Benefit.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

• 1 month later...

I started a part time job at 10 hours per week at £7.20 an hour. my partner claims ESA for us both due to his health problems.

he won his assessment last year.

he also gets DLA high and middle and I receive carers.

he get £260 a fortnight esa.

I started 4 weeks ago and the benefits place has just sent out a new assessment form to fill in as first one we never received.

today we were meant to get our esa and they have suspended our benefit until they get the form back.

they have also said that we may now not be entitled to esa and if we are we will lose £50 per week because of the job.

is this correct please.

Don't think there is any point in keeping this job now if its going to cause such a problem.