Bug

Another tax credit overpayment

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1067 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone,

We're being chased for £1253 by debt collectors LCS. This is the second overpayment by HMRC for child tax credit - the first was for £706 which we paid. I can't afford to pay the larger sum in one go. The reason I'm miffed about this is we have religiously told HMRC every time there has been a change in circumstances, I find it difficult to believe that they could have overpaid by nearly £2000!

I've tried getting them to look at it again but it's the usual "you're out of time, yadder, yadder". I had originally asked for the reconsideration as my youngest wasn't mentioned on the calculation but they have told me every time that she has been taken into account when calculating our credit - I don't trust them ... do you think it would be worth sending a SAR? Or do I bite the bullet and try to negotiate a repayment schedule with LCS?

We've have always done exactly what has been asked of us - I've completed the annual assessment every year (always early, always as soon as I received it) and they've had P60s every year and I told them that both girls at home are in full-time education - what more could I have done? Now we're being penalised.

Any feedback would be appreciated, as always.

have you done your own calculations to see what you should get rather than just believe that you owe this money? Many years ago when I received tax credits they never got it right and even when hauled over the coals by the parliamentary ombudsman they still got it wrong only more so.

So, do your own sums for both years and then you can tell how much you owe if any. let your MP know of the result of your calculations if they differ and get them to make a formal complaint to the minister in charge.

Thank you - I think I should let LCS know that I'm disputing it though. Do HMRC have details about how they've made the calculations and do you think I would get that info from a SAR? I think this goes back more than two years as well - we had nothing last year so I think they're talking about 2013-14