BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Looking for some advice regarding dealing with the Debt Collection Department at Trafford dealing with an 'over payment' from 2005/2006/2009/2010 totaling over £8000.00.    Was in discussion with HMRC back in Early 2017.  Their last letter being April when they listed the years they were claiming for and stating the reason it was an over payment was because we hadn't signed and returned some declaration in 2005 + 2006 + 2009 + 2010.  My last letter to them stating it really wasn't an over payment they were just claiming back every penny we have ever been issued because of 4 unsigned forms went unanswered by them.  Nothing else from them until last month came the letter from the debt collection department.   I immediately issued a letter stating I didn't agree with the amount being claimed. I didn't think it was an over payment.  We were entitled to the money that they had 'awarded' us and to contact the previous person I had been dealing with three years ago.  I requested they obtain copies of all correspondence from 2017 and send me a copy.   On 02/04/2020 I received a telephone call from Trafford to say thank you for the letter, they couldn't obtain the documentation I had asked for, I had to do that myself and then could send to them and due to the virus they were suspending collection of this amount.  The person on the phone couldn't advise me how long it would be suspended for.  I asked him to put it in writing advising me they couldn't get the docs I have requested and that it was temporarily suspended. On 03/04/2020 I received a letter to advise they were applying to my employer to instruct them to adhere to the attachment of earnings order and deduct a percentage of my wage and send to them.  It had a copy of the letter inside addressed to my employers. On 06/04/2020 I received a letter thanking me for my letter of the 17th March.  They attached a sheet detailing the over payments that they were claiming.  Confirmed they could not request the previous correspondence and I should request this direct from HMRC.  In the event of a dispute I had to contact HMRC.  They wouldn't suspend collection until advised by HMRC but under the circumstances they arr temporarily suspending recovery action.  They will write to me soon about paying it back.   2005 £821.53     2006 £1635.14     2009 £390.76     2010 £1298.62   My husband has received an identical letter with the same figures on.   I am unsure what to do now.  I don't  want to sit on it until they start up the recovery again.   Do I now contact HMRC and continue to argue this out with them? Can they legally take money from my wages even though I am disputing this? Does me not signing a form constitute them being able to recover everything I have been paid?   My youngest child left school in 2016 and I never claimed for 2007 + 2008  + 2011 + 2012 + 2013 + 2014 + 2015.   Can anyone advise me of where I go from here? Thanks in advance of any help anyone can give me  
    • OK will try to be succinct. Old prop mgmt agent acting behalf of RTM company messed about last year with bills and could not all 4 leaseholders to agree on their charges. I paid first half of year and was awaiting news re remaining bill. At end of year had letter stating they were stepping down.   January 2020 new agent in charge. Bill for whole year sent, plus arrears. Service charges are due twice yearly, not in one lump, as per the lease. They billed for whole year. I queried it. In the meantime I had some emails requesting payment. In January I decided just to pay the arrears in one payment ( plus an extra £100 on top as part payment for new charges, ) and set up a monthly standing order to pay the rest. The payment was set to start in Feb, but for some reason the bank didnt pay it until march, so I rectified it in March by paying that one one plus one extra. I informed them of this. Payments have been accepted and they have sent a revised statement this week showing such- after I sent them proof I had paid 3 times already.   Come June, I would be fully up to date with all previous bills, they should then send the June- December service charge bill. They keep insisting on payment asap.   In March whilst payments were going on and after the lump sum + 2 payments had been met, they say they sent a letter requesting a payment plan even though one was already in place. I did not get that letter. In March they sent it to the sols for debt collection- I got a letter from the sols + their own £250 charges stitched on. I have not replied to them yet. I have replied to the agent stating I won't be paying via the sols and that payments are still set to continue.   Ultimately, even with the new service charge coming in June, by August the bill I will be paid anyway. I feel their demands are totally unreasonable, given noone can work at present anyway. I have a letter prepared for the sols in reply but i'll wait as long as possible before sending as I have 30 days to reply and by then all arrears will all be paid, plus part of the upcoming bill. The lease is very old and there is no mention of debt collection charges at all. It states the lease service charge is paid in advance at end of June and end of Dec every year.
    • Hi BankFodder,   I stated that the contents value was the sold price on eBay £525   I luckily had a pic of the serial no of the phone. I checked the serial no of the device via the apple website https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/ and it stated that the 1yr standard apple warranty expires on the March 17, 2021 which means the phone was activated on March 17, 2020 - which if you refer to my timeline the phone was supposedly in 'transit' at that time
    • Yes I am sure that you are the victim of theft. You say that you have read around similar stories on this forum and you will see that my view is that you shouldn't need to pay an insurance to protect yourself against a breach by the courier. You have paid the delivery price. However, an important point is – what did you say the value of the parcel was? Also you say that you have evidence that the phone was activated – can you tell us a bit more about that please.
    • I currently have one claim on my car insurance policy for the theft of a catalytic converter from my car. The best insurance quote I have found for my wife's car when I add myself in as an additional driver is £350pa with a £350 total excess. In March 2019 I was involved in an alleged incident in Austria where the claimant claims I damaged his front bumper. I have resoloutely denied this and after legal advice am disputing this in the courts. Currently the situation is that the Austrian Courts have applied to the UK courts for statements and that is where the position is at the moment. According to my solicitor there is no way this can be described currently as an accident. However my insurance company at the time has entered this incident into The CUE motorists data base an accident resulting in loss of no claims bonus. I have not made any claim on my insurance so I don't see how I can have lost any part of my no claims bonus. I have at the moment made a formal complaint to the insurance company involved asking them to remove/correct the posting to the CUE data base. They refused this request verbally which is why I made the formal complaint. When I add this second claim on to the quote for my wife's car insurance the cheapest I can get is £628pa with a £400 excess. At the moment my options appear to be:- 1-Do nothing and just pay, but it will become much more of am issue when I come to insure my own car. 2-Wait for the claim procedure to go through the insurance comany's internal proces then escalate it to an ombudsman. 3- Take the insurance company to the small claims court for the excess on my wife's premium. 4-Take MIB the administraters of the CUE database to the small claims court for diseminating false information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  
  • Our picks

determindator

Watch out for Nationwide buffer

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1064 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Nationwide allow customers to utilise their accounts above arranged overdrafts or even if there is no overdraft.

Would be helpful if customers were not charged for this but you will be.

It's what they call a buffer and help if needed.

Each transaction will cost you £15.

I know someone who made a cash withdrawal for £70, and two small shop transactions less than £10 each.

They are going to be charged £15 for each of these transactions.

They did not ask for this service and would have preferred the system didn't allow the transactions.

They could have used another account but used this particular card thinking there was more money available.

Rant to you NW bank charges just keep finding their way into your life.

I had the same problem a few years ago. I used the card three times and was charged for going over my overdraft limit and for the three transactions. I complained saying it was an oversight on my part that was put right the following day from monies in my other Nationwide accounts, if they had a system in place telling me I'd overdrawn I wouldn't have done it. I also threatened to take my custom elsewhere. To their credit they reimbursed me for all the costs even the interest.

The person is requesting a refund considering there were other accounts which could have been used instead. £15 per transaction is a very high interest rate.

I have also been successful in the past Soggy with Nationwide but they are sticklers for refunding only once in a year.

They have a good mobile phone alert service which is not advertised well enough. It alerts if you over your limit and gives you up to 2.30pm that day to cover.

Well, well. I understand the banks will be made to ensure mobile phone alerts are sent to all bank account customers to make them aware of their balance and transactions and giving the chance to pay in by a certain time to correct and avoid fees and charges.

It's about time customers were protected more to avoid bank charges. Banks promote the ethos you are responsible but haven't actioned enough ways to help you do this in the busy unpredicable world we live in. The alert system is a good step in the right direction.

The txt alert service is flawed or by human design txt alerts are not being sent out when they should be. This of course is causing customers not to be advised money needs to be paid in to avoid charges. How are banks getting away with charging customers £15 and the transaction e.g is for £2! It's detrimental and a penalty or why is it done?