Piper79

Rejected Leave Requests - Where Do I Stand?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1069 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all just a quick question.

My partner went into his boss a few days ago and asked could he book the dates 20-21-22 of December off and the 27-28-29 also of December off.

his boss wouldn't even consider it and said no I want someone to have a chance you had them last year ...

..( he had 27-28-29 Dec off just gone).

I told him to say that's fair enough but if anyone else was that bothered surely they would be in as early as him booking the dates. Again my partner said he just straight out refused and said no I've told you why.

He also has a rule no 2 workers on the same job can have the same days off either.

I know it does sound selfish but still no one has been in and booked any of these dates.

I said to my partner how can he make it fair on everyone with his rule?

Pick names out of a hat.

I'm not sure if it's just because it's my partner that's asked that's the problem because we have had a few incidents with this new boss.

A FLT trainer position became available and my partner was first to put his name down and kept asking about the progress.

(No one else in the factory had put their names forward, even when bosses went and asked them no one wanted to do it)

this said boss told him you're not what I'm looking for.

He later went on to ask a polish colleague of my partners

and said no one wants to do will you do and you get an additional payment yearly.

My partner went straight to the boss and complained his friend was not very good at English and why was he chosen above my partner...

...boss replied he sounds fine to me.

my partners polish friend did pass the course but confessed to fellow workers the test was impossible and there is no way he could teach anyone as he never fully understood.

Sorry all

I know I've gone off topic

but there is just so many incidents it's getting annoying and my partner is one of them that won't say boo.

As I said all beside the point so I will refer back to my initial question..

...is the boss allowed to refuse my partners holiday date requests as he want to give someone else a chance..

..yet still no one has asked?

Thanks everyone sorry long winded it just frustrates me all the things I'm told

It's the 7th of January, I am not surprised no one else has asked.

You appear to think he should be rewarded for speed and being british. Life is not like that.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Ok yeah because my reply was insulting.

I asked a question and she replied with that same old boring trying to be racist rubbish.

Oh yes and telling her it's called thinking ahead, my god what insults.

Can't even ask a question without getting stupid replies how pathetic.

All I wanted to know was can his boss refuse his holiday request dates just like that?!!!

Well then when Emmzzi replies, dont take it to heart. We are happy to help but would ask that you dont respond in such fashion where we have to moderate posts etc.

In answer to your question. Check the contract that your OH signed. It is reasonable for them to reject holiday leave for the above reasons. Sometimes it can be as you say because of alternative years of leave for staff during that period.

Other reasons could be is they dont do Xmas leave until a certain point through the year where its allocated on a 1st come 1st served basis.

I understand planning ahead is great but unfortunately - employers can reject leave requests on a operational / staffing basis. But they must give it fair consideration first.

Try asking later this year closer to the time and see if there an opportunity then to take it off.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Well I'm going to take it to heart when she is trying to act smart and subtlety try insinuate I'm a racist

but I guess you're right I shouldn't take any notice lol.

You can book dates anytime with this firm as they don't have any special rules regarding time/ operation/staff.'

I had read with slater and Gordon that they can't refuse without good reason as like ones you have mentioned above but again nothing in play.

Just thought I'd check if it was right,

I'm pretty sure nothing in the handbook on it as it's just been updated.

He wouldn't even consider it just said no and that's it .

But thanks for reply

All the employer has to offer is the statutory annual leave entitlement. That employer can state when you take that holiday due to business needs.

Although employers can refuse to give leave at a certain time, they can’t refuse to let workers take the leave at all.

Why do you not simply go onto the .GOV or ACAS site and get the correct information and not how you interpret that information.

Edited by obiter dictum

It would seem you too have interpreted information your own way oops.

I know what the stat annual leave is and in my partners place of work they can choose whatever dates they like within that entitlement as the business issues no specific needs.

If there is any the OT it is offered to all who want it.

His reason for saying no is simply because he says it's not fair..

....this again is not a set rule and has never been an issue before..

...or used as a reason before in over 7 years.

I can't find anywhere that it says this is a reasonable reason or that it's not.

It would seem you too have interpreted information your own way oops.

I know what the stat annual leave is and in my partners place of work they can choose whatever dates they like within that entitlement as the business issues no specific needs.

If there is any the OT it is offered to all who want it.

His reason for saying no is simply because he says it's not fair...

...this again is not a set rule and has never been an issue before...

..or used as a reason before in over 7 years.

I can't find anywhere that it says this is a reasonable reason or that it's not.

In defence of Emmzzi, her response did reflect the general tone of parts of the OP.

It appears to me that the OP has a basic confusion.

The employer, and their appointed manager, runs the business, not her partner.

They can therefore grant or refuse holiday requests, and appoint people to whatever positions they wish.

If they make errors of judgement in so doing, then that is on them.

But until the OPs payment owns their own business, or is appointed to manage, then they do not make the rules, and they don't get to decide on what is fair.

It isn't a democracy.

When they are running it they can let everyone have whatever holidays they ask for, or promote the people they want to promote.

However, judging by one comment, that there have been a number of "incidents" with this new manager, that may not be likely to happen.

Managers manage. If you don't like it, you have two options.

Suck it up or leave.

Provided they remain within the law, harping on about life being unfair is not generally a direct route to promotion.

It would seem you too have interpreted information your own way oops. I know what the stat annual leave is and in my partners place of work they can choose whatever dates they like within that entitlement as the business issues no specific needs. If there is any the OT it is offered to all who want it. His reason for saying no is simply because he says it's not fair......this again is not a set rule and has never been an issue before.....or used as a reason before in over 7 years. I can't find anywhere that it says this is a reasonable reason or that it's not.

They don't need a "reasonable" reason.

The law says employers can dictate any holiday dates.

That means that there is no right to have holiday when you want it.

They can literally tell you exactly when toy must take holiday, or refuse any dates toy wasn't. Without any reason.

Last comment from me

You work for the employer under a contract of employment. You are in no position to dictate anything or terms and conditions from that employer outside a minimum statutory requirement imposed on that employer. That is why Trade Unions are used as Employee representatives with that employer.

Edited by obiter dictum

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to check if the boss was just being unfair with my partner by saying no with all that's gone on, but I understand now end of day they can choose no matter what.

I didn't realise my original post came across as so,

I did reply my partner is very good friends with the person who got the promotion,

but it just annoyed him that the boss would lie to this other colleague and say no other person in the factory wanted the promotion..

...as he even said that's the only reason he decided to do it in the end, and the tell my partner he wasn't quite what he was looking for.

guess same scenario though boss can do as they please.

Thanks again

7 January asking for next Xmas leave and being surprised that nobody else asked for it...

I just about woke up from hungover!!!

Last thing I wanna hear is Xmas 😄

As others have pointed out, you have to concrete your feet on the ground and look at reality.

I'm a strong fighter of workers' rights, but you're trying to go into interstellar space where logical jurisdiction doesn't apply.

so if you look at the working time regs then your partner can apply for his a/l in writing giving at least the minium notice time and the employer si required to respond in writing.

Now, the employer may simply say that it is not possible for him to ahve those dates because of "operational reasons" and bugger all can be said to deny it.

as he hasnt followed procedure as yet then he doesnt actually have an official response

This request makes it look like your partner is not taking any other a/l this year, would that be true.

I know some people use theirs in winter to go skiing.

As for the rest of your post,

your partner should raise the matter under H&S if there is an issue where someone is in a position of having to train others and they either lack the qualifications, training or experiance to do so properly, that is nothing to do with the WTD

I don't think asking for your preferred dates before others gives you more of a right to get your preferred dates.

I think the employer is correct to take into account who was off the previous year. If other people were working this Christmas, it is fair that those people can get next Christmas off.

My employer looks at everyone's holiday requests together in early November. When all of the requests in, if some of the requests need to be rejected, they'll look at who was working last year, so that nobody has to work between Xmas and new year two years in a row.

Perhaps your husband should ask again a bit later in the year, when the employer will have a clearer view of who wants to take time off?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS