Calculating Annual Leave for an employee going on Maternity

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have drawn a complete blank!

It's been so long since I've had to use this part of my brain and I'm not having much luck

1 of our employees who works part time (4 days per week) is going on Mat leave, her last day is 31st March

Our annual leave runs from 1 Jan - 31 Dec

She wants to know how much holiday she would be entitled to before she goes off

Has anyone got a calculator or website I can use please?

Thanks

She will accrue the same annual leave that she would accrue as she was working.

So if she's taking the full 52 maternity weeks then she will be entitled for annual leave for an entire year.

So if she has 20 days leave when at work, she will still have 20 days after maternity.

As your leave starts from January and she's going on maternity end of march, you'll have to deduct the leave already taken if any.

When she comes back she will take this year leave which will be added to that of next year.

To be clear.

If she hasn't taken any leave in 2017 (Jan to March) she will carry that to 2018.

So when she comes back in march 2018 she will be entitled to 20 days for 2017 + 20 days for 2018 to be taken before end of 2018.

I introduced a policy that our ladies take ALL of the current year annual leave before they start their maternity leave. They are going to get it anyway, and it also gives them extra time off when the going is getting tougher for them in the final month. This works well and saves working out accrued pay etce.

• Haha 1

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

I introduced a policy that our ladies take ALL of the current year annual leave before they start their maternity leave. They are going to get it anyway, and it also gives them extra time off when the going is getting tougher for them in the final month. This works well and saves working out accrued pay etce.

I'm not sure you can legally enforce such policy.

Employment experts will surely be along to clarify.

Making them take it before they have accrued it is not enforceable.

Seems like a scuzzy way to avoid paying prenatal sick leave.

Also "ladies" made my skin crawl. They are WOMEN.

It is not difficult. Men. Women. Non binary. Just 3 terms to remember. No pet terms.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Making them take it before they have accrued it is not enforceable.

Seems like a scuzzy way to avoid paying prenatal sick leave.

Also "ladies" made my skin crawl. They are WOMEN.

It is not difficult. Men. Women. Non binary. Just 3 terms to remember. No pet terms.

More or less completely agree. But I would disagree that it isn't enforceable. Employers can dictate when employees take holiday in the current leave year (and it is the current leave year being dictated), so I can see no legal reason why they cannot enforce this. However, if enforced leave is not the norm for everyone, then it may be a detriment which could lead to a case for discrimination - so I certainly think it is unwise, because win or lose, it would be an expensive policy to defend.

well, thats a sex discrimination claim you wont be defending then. What do you do about men who apply for their paternity leave, make them do the same or dont they have paternity leave in your cave?

As an employer you sometimes just have to swallow some of this and smile. Same goes when you know that people arent going to return after maternity leave, you follow the law and thank them for letting you know before you appoint someone else on a permanent basis, you dont jump the gun and change the roles in their absence.