filthysurfer

Back again! - Vehicle Control Services - Continue with appeal?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1068 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello all.

I know it's very rude of me but I only seem to pop up on here about every two years and when I want something! :D

Anyhoo, parking. Again.

I received a ticket on my screen from Vehicle Control Services back in October.

I was parked in an area marked "Service Vehicles Only" on a private road.

At the time I was delivering stock to one of the businesses accessible via the private road but using my car rather than one of the company vans.

As it happened the VCS van was parked opposite me and he saw me unload and walk into the building but when I returned he was gone and the ticket was on my window.

I was gone 10 minutes at the most.

My vehicle is leased and at the time there was no arrangement in place between the lease company and VCS for passing on my details.

The leasing company would have just paid the ticket and then billed me.

So unfortunately I had to enter into the appeal process and obviously give my details to VCS before they started contacting the lease company.

VCS rejected my appeal (as they do) and referred me to Independent Appeals Services.

I then sent off the same argument to IAS (I was delivering etc) and got the response back that VCS still believed I was liable for the charge etc etc pointing out the wording on various signs in the area

. I am now invited to either submit another response or go straight to arbitration.

that's where I am,

now to the help I need.

In the past, advice from here has served me well and I've gone down the ignore route

. The only reason I didn't this time was because of the potential involvement of the lease company.

But this sort of pseudo-legal, badly spelled, money gouging, cowboy behaviour really gets my back up and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time with this whole appeal nonsense and whether I should just not enter into any further discussion with VCS or IAS.

Mainly because I hate being made to jump through hoops by crooks.

I don't mind an hour or two putting together a question on here but I really do resent spending the same amount of time responding to their largely bogus appeals process!

Over to you...:D

Something to note.

They can no longer approach the lease company.

Since this occurred the lease company have amended their policy and no longer automatically pay tickets.

well, all that has happened is you have wasted a bit of ink and some time,

the position remains unchanged and that is no breach of contract as the signage is prohibitive in nature.

Let them write to you and when Gladstones tell you that you owe a million quid you tell them the above and that they should employ someone at the IPC who knows a little about the law as it is clear that John and Will dont.

their version of arbitration is them deciding for a 3rd time that you should pay but this time it will be binding. let them do their worse but without you hanging yourself. Ignore tht offer

Firstly, apologies for the odd spacing and punctuation in my original post. Not sure why it appears like that.

Interesting. So still to ignore then? Fair enough. I did wonder if things had moved on since last time I asked for advice. I would imagine they will chase a little harder as they have my details but I'll just sit tight unless anyone has anything else to add? Not sure what you mean about the signage being prohibitive in nature?

As I mentioned, it's the jumping through hoops for a bunch of fly-by-nights that I object to more than anything else. That and all the pseudo-legal jargon, images of scales and judges in wigs etc etc. All designed to add legitimacy to their shoddy operation. Never mind that I was going about my business and using the access for the purpose it was intended or that this could all be cleared up with a chat to a reasonable person on an easily available phone number. The spelling mistakes in the emails from IAS are truly shocking too. Laughable.

I should add that there are one or two factual inaccuracies to their version of events that I haven't gone into here such as where my vehicle was actually parked.

Any further responses would be very much appreciated.

several things come to mind from your reply post, the first is you never ever ever want to talk to these people on the phone unless you have the facility to record the conversation and even then I would advise againt it.

Secondly regarding prohibitive signage, you should take the time to aquaint yourself with things like this and then you wont screw yourself by appealing to the parking co then IAS when you dont actually know anything about the matter in hand. That is why this site exists, to help people with a problem rather than as some kind of ambulance to pick up the bodies after the car crash so as you have been a member for many years it does mean that you were in a position to ask for help prior to dropping yourself in the smelly stuff.

Having said that, no real damage done as long as you take the time to read and understand the difference between an offer of a contract (like Paking £3 all day) and a prohibition (no parking) and how each of these may be remeided if you break the rules.

What will now happen is that VCS will send yo more begging letters which you ignore. Gladstones, who are also the IPC and IAS and also the supposedly "independent" arbitration (no conflict of interest ther m'lud) will then send you a threatogram asking for about £60 more than the original demand and this can be ignored as well. Theh they will send youa letter thereatening court and this should not be ignored. You reply to that saying that "there has been no breach of contract because the sigange was prohibitive in nature and not an offer of a contract. Any further action will be treated as vex"

This many not stop them wanting to take the matter further but they know that any claim is doomed to fail because you know that they havent a leg to stand on and can show that you had not just ignored them so court action would be treated as just plain malicious.

My wife doesnt understand about such things and that is why I first got involved in private parking issues. Even now she refuses to park in a supermarket car park disabled spot even though I am disabled becasue she thinks that it only applies to the driver!

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

...and then you wont screw yourself by appealing to the parking co then IAS when you dont actually know anything about the matter in hand. That is why this site exists, to help people with a problem rather than as some kind of ambulance to pick up the bodies after the car crash so as you have been a member for many years it does mean that you were in a position to ask for help prior to dropping yourself in the smelly stuff.

While your help is very much appreciated, if you re-read my original post you'll see that I point out I had to contact VCS because otherwise the lease company would have just paid the charge, added their bit on and billed me. And I apologise for using this site incorrectly. I don't have much free time available to research the ins and outs of parking enforcement, charges and signage. I assumed I could come on here and ask for help at any point as I have before.

Thank you again for your advice. I'll wait and see what happens.

we can only help those who help themselves and part of that is taking the time to acquaint themselves with the relevant laws as far as possible.

If VCS send a NTK to the lease co there are rules they still have to follow to create a liability and I have seen more cases where that has failed to happen than them getting it right.

However, the lease co get it wrong 100% of the time or so it seems yet want to avoid any responsibility for this.

If you had come here earlier we could have told yo to sit is out until the NTK and then see what the lease co did as they cant just do what you think they would do,

they have to tell parking co that you were the lessee and then VCS have to write to you within a specified time and as no lease co bothers to do things right

the chances are VCS will get the timings wrong and the only person out of the problem would be you.

So, you now sit this out and see what they say.

For the future dont be so hasty as to want to communicate with anyone about a private parking claim,

as said there are very specific timescales and everyone must follw them .

If the parking co and the lease co get it right them we will suggest that you tell lease co that you insist on dealing with the matter but they cant bill you having paid anythng themselves as your contract wont say that you have to pay them for their own stupidity and ignorance of the law of the land.

Let us know if you get another letter