Murphyb008

Lost my private reg

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1062 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi folks, hoping somebody can help me out or give me a solution to my problem.

I bought a plate for my car, cost me £1200.00 and I had it on my car for about 6 months,

I sold the car to a guy in the Republic of Ireland who registered it in the ROI and had a new plate with a month, which shows registered to car when I run a car check.

Now, were the problem lies,

being inexperienced with private reg plates,

I thought naively that once I send away the V5 as the car was export I automatically kept the registered plate, only when it was tikate I was advised otherwise, retention on certificate etc.

I wrote to the DVLA explaining what I had done and got a letter pretty much saying tough luck.

. is there anything that can be done?

I'm still in contact with the guy who bought the car and he is happy enough to work sort me.

. any advice would be greatly appreciated..

I think that you will have to chalk this one up as an expensive lesson. You have not followed the correct procedures for retaining the number plate so to all intents you have surrender it to the new owner on point of sale and the dvla have taken it back on export.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Nightmare.. the plate has effectively vanished.. he got a new plate within 4 weeks of buying the car so my plate has disappeared? And no one has it? Thats mental.

Can that be done? Don't see it anywhere?

contact them and theyll tell you if its listed for sale. However, youll have to buy it back at the normal price. Just like everyone else.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thinking aloud.....

If the OP 'purchases' the car back from the Irishman and brings it back into UK to be registered again, would DVLA reissue the same, original number to the car?

If so, the OP can then transfer the number to a Retention Certificate, receive a new UK number - then 'sell' the car back to the Irishman.

When I transferred a private plate from a car (originally on a different number) I asked DVLA for the original 'normal' number to be reissued to the car, on the basis I had retained the original plates, service records, etc. They did this.

A lot of work for a £1,200 investment and probably no guarantee of success.

Another point in reply to Post №s 4 and 6 -

Although one can pay a fee to DVLA to list a number in a future auction (where it would go to the highest bidder), I think this only applies to numbers that have never been issued previously.

DVLA do not (as yet) sell previously used numbers, just in case someone pops up having, for example, had the car in a barn for many years, before SORN became obligatory.

Thinking aloud.....

If the OP 'purchases' the car back from the Irishman and brings it back into UK to be registered again, would DVLA reissue the same, original number to the car?

If so, the OP can then transfer the number to a Retention Certificate, receive a new UK number - then 'sell' the car back to the Irishman.

When I transferred a private plate from a car (originally on a different number) I asked DVLA for the original 'normal' number to be reissued to the car, on the basis I had retained the original plates, service records, etc. They did this.

Although one can pay a fee to DVLA to list a number in a future auction (where it would go to the highest bidder), I think this only applies to numbers that have never been issued previously.

DVLA do not (as yet) sell previously used numbers, just in case someone pops up having, for example, had the car in a barn for many years, before SORN became obligatory.

I've transferred my plate a few times. The DVLA automatically reissue the original registration number to the car when you place your private plate on retention or transfer it to another vehicle.

The OP will have bought the car with a standard reg and then had his plate transferred onto it. If that car gets imported back into the UK I would be very surprised if the DVLA didn't reissue the original registration number.

The private plate has been lost forever I should think.

Thinking aloud.....

You don't get a dsay in what plate goes on the vehicle if it is re-imported. The DVLA will normally give it back its original number, if this is still available. So in this instance the vehicles original reg no (Not the OP's private plate) would be re-assigned to the vehicle.

Unfortunately there is very little that can be done to get the cherished number back, short of trying to re-purchase it from the DVLA.