Job agency problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know whether this constitutes a general grievance or whether it's simply something that is 'the norm'. It was my first ever experience of working via an agency:

In July I and my family relocated to another part of the country. I got a job via an agency for a very specific role, requiring a licence in a sector I have over 10 years experience in.

The "employer" was only just starting out in this sector and I was introduced to the "supervisor" who was previously just the admin lady, and it soon became apparent she had only a few months experience. I saw lots of issues straight away - they were pretty clueless, and I voiced my concerns to my job agency "handler".

I was reassured the company was 'going forward' and they would make whatever changes needed in order to comply with the industry standard.

The admin lady "supervisor" had some holidays booked. I spent pretty much working solid for 3 months - doing 12 nights straight in one case. I raised the issue with the agency again and stated I was thinking of leaving as the current roster was untenable. A new lad was also taken on, who had as much experience in the industry as I, it eased the workload whilst covering the admin lady's holiday period. A meeting was called and we were informed of a bright new future, lots of big plans etc. Being a naive idiot I declined several interviews with other companies during this time.

My 3 months initial contract with the agency came to an end and my employer became increasingly hard to contact. We had been assured we would be 'taken on the books' etc.

The admin lady's holiday periods had been pretty much covered and, as soon as all my promulgated rostered shifts had been covered I was told they could not afford to take me on as permanent staff. The other lad was told the same a few days later once he had completed his shifts.

My gripe is - I am now 100% certain the agency knew all along I was only being employed in the interim - My "handler" mistakenly sent me a text intended for my then employer. I am also owed a few hours pay, it only amounts to about £30 but it was not 'put through the books' at the agency. The job agency has still not sent me my P45 after more than 8 weeks. I phoned HMRC and they informed me a P45 had been received about a week before I was "laid off".

My fear is my new job will stick me on emergency tax.

Do I have a genuine grievance or should I just put it down to experience? My former employer enjoys a very high profile social media presence appearing to many as some latter day Mother Theresa. The truth about him is somewhat different though.

Thanks.

Sadly theres nothing you can do about the job if it was through an agency as it was only ever temporary. You could have been released at any time without notice.

Same thing happened to my daughter, promised the moon and stars and released as soon as the xmas rush was over.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I thought as much. What is irritating though is that the employer is a member of a local FB group I am also a member of. His online persona is very much different to reality...lots of virtue-signalling, philanthropic acts in order to advertise his business. People regard him as a saint. He knew my personal situation and the sacrifices I made to cover the shifts he needed.

agency = temp work, never choose it over perm opportunities if that is what you are looking for

if a company is looking for perm, they'll advertise for that, or at least temp to perm

temp = turn up, do as ask, think as little as required.

Fixed term contract is different. Turn up, work as a professional contractor.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

As Emmzi has commented - I don't see any grounds for a grievance. I think you have become confused. The guy is a business owner, and his interest is in running a profitable business. He may, in actual fact, also be a latter day Mother Theresa. That didn't change the fact that he is still running a business, not a social work agency. You were contracted through an agency to fulfill a particular business requirement. You were paid the rate that you agreed for this. So there was no sacrifice on your part. You were paid to work shifts that you agreed to work. So I don't particularly understand why toy think he owed you something for doing so. Employment is a business transaction. Perhaps he did, in fact, hope that there would be enough business generated in the short term to retain you. Perhaps he didn't. But he has fulfilled any obligation - he was a client of the agency, and he paid them for the hours you worked. That has nothing to do with him being a good person or a bad person - it is simply the agreed transaction. Employment isn't personal. No employer puts their workers before the business. Because if the business does not succeed then nobody has a job.

Point taken, and I accept that. It's the blatant lies and the eventual outcome that the agency was privy to all along that irritates.

I don't expect businesses to be charitable. I expect honesty though, from them, and the agency.

Lesson learned.

Point taken, and I accept that. It's the blatant lies and the eventual outcome that the agency was privy to all along that irritates.

I don't expect businesses to be charitable. I expect honesty though, from them, and the agency.

Lesson learned.

Hi viking, I probably have a bit more grey hair than you and fewer in number, but in my working life I only found honesty in one employer in a family run workshop.

Every other employer I worked for (and believe me I have had many jobs) have proved themselves dishonest, ruthless and giving staff a pack of lies on a daily basis.

This includes very large organisations and government agencies.

It's dog eats dog culture typical of our times.

At least in the past you could blindly rely on your colleagues, have a laugh and go for a pint after work, nowadays everyone seems obsessed with their own benefit even if it means betraying colleagues.

As you point out, the worst employers are the ones who elevate themselves to saint or even god status when in reality they are as ruthless as demons.

Hi viking, I probably have a bit more grey hair than you and fewer in number, but in my working life I only found honesty in one employer in a family run workshop.

Every other employer I worked for (and believe me I have had many jobs) have proved themselves dishonest, ruthless and giving staff a pack of lies on a daily basis.

This includes very large organisations and government agencies.

It's dog eats dog culture typical of our times.

At least in the past you could blindly rely on your colleagues, have a laugh and go for a pint after work, nowadays everyone seems obsessed with their own benefit even if it means betraying colleagues.

As you point out, the worst employers are the ones who elevate themselves to saint or even god status when in reality they are as ruthless as demons.

Gosh, I thought I was cynical! But I do agree that the culture of work has changed enormously. Everyone - and that includes other workers - wants and needs to hang on to everything they have. Maybe there are good reasons, maybe there aren't. But society is much more about self, and employment is no different.

But I think the OP has also confused something else. The agency is the employer and the workplace is the agency client. They are nowhere in this equation! So expecting anything other than strictly what they are being paid to do is unrealistic. That is the nature of agency work. There is no commitment. From anyone. Agency work suits people for whom this is ok, because it also doesn't commit them to anything either. It also works for filling in where workers need to. But it is seldom dependable, and should never be considered to be. There is always a good reason for having an agency worker - and that reason is never about long term commitment. If it were, people would employ directly.