Unsurprisingly; my problem is Xercise4Less, Harlands and CSR (Harlands)

McGregor2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2660 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I moved to university in Burnley in September 2014, and at the freshers fair there was a gym

- the now notorious X4L.

I joined on the 23rd September 2014 on a minimum 11 month contract.

However, after the year was over I wanted to cancel but was unaware of the process as it had not been made clear to me when I joined so I just cancelled my DD which I had done at a previous gym with no trouble whatsoever.

Then I got a letter from Harlands saying I owed money

- I binned most of their letters (stupidly) so only have a few.

To cut it short I got a letter on the 26th July saying my account was £69.98 overdue.

The letter also said if I fail to pay my membership fees will CEASE TO BE ADMINISTERED BY HARLANDS (insinuating an outside debt collection agency).

I paid them £104.97 (I have an email to prove this) as, in fairness, I had broken the T&C's of the contract I signed.

I paid this on August 31st 2016 then the lady at Harlands told me to go online and cancel so I went and did it properly.

Then on the 16th of November I got an email from Harlands saying they could not cancel my membership as they had not received confirmation from X4L.

As I did it online I have no proof that I cancelled it so they'll say I haven't

- but I did what was asked of me.

I then received a letter from this 'outside debt collection agency' Called CRS (which I only opened today) dated from 13th December 2016

- saying I now owe £171.47.

This outside agency has the EXACT SAME address,

the EXACT SAME registered office as Harlands

and the EXACT SAME company registration number

and I will be keeping the letters as evidence if needed.

Harlands have made up a debt collection company to try and extort more money from me (which I'm sure you already know about).

This is such an obvious [problem] that X4L are certainly in on and I am so angry about it I have contacted X4L on twitter, contacted BBC watchdog and now contacted CAG.

If somebody could suggest the best course of action now I would be hugely appreciative.

DCA's are NOT BAILIFFS!!

they cant do anything to you.

as for paying

i'd go get that money back from your bank.

you might owe one month after cancellation that's all.

read a few threads here you'll get the idea.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Try and do a visa debit chargeback with your bank if you paid via card?

As for paying them anything further, personally, I wouldn't bother TBH.

Ignore Harlands/CRS, hammer the gyms complaints procedure and exhaust it, continue embarrassing them via social media.

Gym debts don't appear on credit files, and nor do they entertain courts because they know they'll get a hiding off the judge.

You'll get a few more idle threat letters off Sprat Endicot, another tame/fake solicitor, before they realise that their constant willy waving simply exposes them for the children they are, and you're not going to lower yourself to their level.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi mate!

Yeah I've read a lot of the threads and know they can't do anything! But my main issue is that it's not even a real DCA, it's Harlands posing as one which, I mean I'm no lawyer, but I would suspect is illegal which is what I'm most concerned about.

As mentioned in previous threads there are to be no calls, only letters back and forth with a read receipt from the PO.

X4L replied to my tweet asking me to DM them but I'm not going to for now.

I was considering ringing up Harlands and asking them to clarify who CRS are to see what they say but what's the point? There will be no records of it.

I know they're just blowing hot air my way and nothing will happen but I feel they need to be brought to justice for what they are doing.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately this is a well worn trick with this corrupt industry.

A lot of DCA's use various forms of 'trading names' in an attempt to make the debtor believe that the matter has been escalated from one DCA to another.

Vent at your local councillors and MP, they're the only ones who can change the system, personally I'd DM X4L and expose the racket they're involved with.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

they are a real dca

but as no DCA ha any legal powers anyway

they ARE NOT BAILIFFS

then its a mute point anyway.

if you moved from the area of the gym

at most you owe one month after that date and any missed before

but as you've paid i'd go get it back by chargeback

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi McG,

Let us know how you paid the £104.97 so we can advise on trying to get it back.

As said already, Harlands use of CRS as a collection arm is not new, not is it illegal. It's just how these chancers operate. If you'd come to us earlier, we'd have told you to pay no more than 1 month's fee for your cancellation notice period.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Cheers for the help guys!

I paid by card over the phone!

I will take your advice and write to both the gym and my local MP.

I have a suspicion X4L aren't oblivious to what's happening personally, otherwise they wouldn't have such a drawn out cancellation policy.

Some of the threads I've seen have dated back years, I think if they had any intention of parting with Harlands they would have done it by now - but they get richer, Harlands get richer but at the expense of the customer.

Much appreciate all the help and advice fellas!

Hi McG,

Your best 1st move is to seek a chargeback via your bank.

If you paid by debit card, seek a chargeback saying you were co-erced into paying something you didn't owe by con-artists.

If you paid by credit card, you can use the protection provided by s.75 CCA 1974.

While I admire your desire to shame the gym and/or Harlands, I suggest you concentrate on keeping Harlands/CRS at bay.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for the advice slick!

I will look into the chargeback tomorrow!

Harlands do send me letters that don't make sense, like how can you pay £104 in August, then owe a further £171 5 months later!

I've already warned people to avoid X4L and a few people have cancelled because of it, so that's the best I can do for now!

It was very worrying how many people this is happening to though, and the fact that they can seemingly get away with it is sad - one day I hope something is done!

Thanks for the help :)

Harlands/CRS add on admin fees when they feel like it but that does NOT mean you have to pay them. We always tell folk to challenge the admin fees and/or simply not pay them and ignore.

It's amazing that X4Less continue to use Harlands/CRS despite all the complaints about their tactics. That says a lot about how little X4Less value their reputation and their gym members ! :-(

Hi McG,

If you have the attention of X4Less on Twitter, I would tell them you want them to get Harlands/CRS to stop harassing you immediately.

But keep on at them publicly, not by email where the public cannot see.

Hi,

I will do thanks!

I'm not at all worried about Harlands and I'm so glad I found this site! When I opened the letter I was initially worried but reading some of the threads and some of the comments on twitter by other customers I know I have nothing to be scared of.

Take care!

Also one more question if you don't mind me asking!

Do you know if X4L are a limited company? I know Harlands are and they will be reported but it's a different way to report a non LTD company.

Thanks.

Hi McG,

Let us know what progress you make with the chargeback attempt.

X4Less are a Ltd Co with info from Endole Listing here - https://www.endole.co.uk/company/07762515/xercise4less-leeds-ltd

We advise folk to complain to Trading Standards and to The CMA about the antics of both X4Less and Harlands/CRS.

Hi guys!

I think it's finally over!!

Apologies for the long winded reply but I emailed them a few days ago saying this:

Hello,

I've been advised to contact head office about this.

I signed an 11 MONTH contract with Xercise4Less in Burnley in September 2014; when this contract ended I cancelled the DD (I actually waited 12 months, so that would have covered the apparent notice I have to give), so Harlands billed me £104.97 in August 2016 (why it took so long should have made me realise it's a [problem]) which I paid because back then I was unaware of the obvious [problem] going on. I considered the matter closed.

Yet I receive an email in November 2016 saying X4L have still not 'advised' them to cancel my account, followed by another letter in December 2016 - from a 'company' called CRS (which is Harlands adding on imaginary admin fees and a lot of people are wising up to this) saying I now owe an extra £171 ON TOP OF THE £104.97 I paid in August.

So essentially the company who do your admin are trying to [problem] a customer who honoured his contract with you, even when I wasn't in the same town and couldn't go to the gym in months I kept it going as I signed an 11 month agreement.

They are trying to frighten people into paying money they don't owe by threatening legal action that, realistically, they are never going to follow up.

The fact that this has been happening to people since 2011 is frankly disgusting. You know what's happening and are doing nothing to stop it which is leading a lot of people (including me) to believe you are in on it.

My name is Xxxx, I signed up at Xxxx in September 2014. You evidently still have me on your records bizarrely; so please ensure Harlands do not contact me in any way shape or form again - it's a waste of time because I'm not going to pay anything else.

Unfortunately it's come to a point where you both have to be reported to the appropriate channels - they are clear [problematic], and you sit idly by and let your customers get scammed and till the day I die I will tell everyone to stay away from your gyms.

I fulfilled my contract with you, I have no debts, I have not set foot in an X4L gym for almost two years - so please do not contact me again.

I got an email from them last night saying:

Good afternoon Xxxx

Thank you for your email

Your membership has now been recalled from CRS and cancelled, and they will no longer pursue for outstanding arrears.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this matter has caused you.

I think it's finally over! All that's left now is the chargeback and reporting both companies. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

They clearly didn't read your email, hence the three line token response they sent you.

Oh well, hopefully it has achieved your aim, but I'd still be complaining. :thumb:

Hi McG and this is excellent news for you.

What progress have you made seeking the chargeback, if any. Focus on this first.

Which? magazine refers to a 120 day limit to reclaim using a Chargeback. However, I would tell the bank you only became aware the transaction was demanded in error by Harlands/CRS when you found info here on CAG on 2nd Jan 2017.

120 days from when you become aware.

but within a total of 540 days from event

and they