• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

plumbers claimform for estimate costs ..help

Chopen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello yes I am a new be :-)

4 weeks ago we turned our heating on and it seemed we had a problem with the pump.

My Partner asked a friend if he could recommend a plumber.

...He was given a phone number

he phoned said he had been recommended and could they come to give us an estimate for work that might need to be done.

The Plumber came 2 days latter

I said hello at the door let him in showed him the tank/ boiler ( boiler is approx. 4 years old)

He immediately said our heating was installed all wrong and when he went out side to see the flue he said it needed to be cemented better for our safety and all thou not asked made up about 50ml of cement and filled around the flue.

I did not like his manner much and was pleased when he left

I gave him my email address so he could send his quote

as he left I told him I was getting another quote so I would chose who did the job.

At no time did he tell me he charges £70 for his estimate.

3 days later I receive email telling me he will charge me £1079.25 ......

...cleaning the system /new thermostats etc...

..I emailed him back telling him we would not be using him

but I would pay him for the cementing he did (2 minute job)

the next day he emailed me an invoice for £70 for estimate. also £1.00 for cementing.

My Partner replied to him telling him that at no time had he informed us of the cost of estimate and If he had we would not of asked him to come to our house. so there for we will not pay invoice.

1 over due invoice was then sent again my partner replied The plumbers reply was full of how our heating was not safe and he could get the gas cut off in the road to our house if we did not pay !!!!!!!

Today I get CCJ claim against me. :(

Sorry so long can any body give me some advice Please.

Oh and the new pump for my heating cost me £210.00 is now working well.

Hi and welcome to CAG

By CCJ do you mean you have received a court claim or that you have recieved a Notice of Judgment for the plumber ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

This must be the only desperate plumber in UK trying to make money out of quotes.

All the plumbers I know are booked up for 4 months ahead and it's a very hard job to convince them to come out for an emergency.

Usually it takes 10 telephone calls.

I would fully defend the claim and accept to pay only the £1 for the cement.

Frankly I don't know anyone who charges money for a quote.

I think that this is a situation which needs to be looked at objectively and pragmatically.

You asked a plumber to come and visit you to give you a quote and at the same time he carried out some work.

Since then you have received an invoice which purports to be 1 pound for the cement and £70 for the quote. Maybe he's expressed it poorly but maybe what he's really charging for this for £70 for labour and 1 pound for the cement.

Certainly, it's probably unreasonable to expect a trader to spend time putting cement on the flue in order to seal it and charge only one pound for it.

Although you may not have agreed a price for this in advance, there is a rule of contract law which basically says that if you ask a commercial trader to carry out a service then there is an implied expectation that a reasonable price has been agreed. I would say that that would apply here. I don't know £71 is reasonable or unreasonable – but it seems to me that a mere £1 is unreasonably low.

In terms of quotes, it's all rather ambiguous. There is a culture of people coming round to doing quotes for jobs without charging because it is all part of the marketing of their service. On the other hand, there is quite a culture of people charging for quotes and then forgiving the charge if the work goes ahead.

Frankly I think that you are on a hiding to nothing. If you decide not to pay then you will have to hope that the plumber doesn't come to us for legal advice because I would advise him to start a small claim against you with a pretty good expectation of success for some level of payment.

You may disagree with a £71 and you may think that it's excessive – but I would certainly think that he has earned something – and certainly more than £1. You've obviously been decent enough to offer to pay him something, seeing as he made his way there and went back I would suggest that maybe half his hourly rate might be appropriate. Maybe that's 30 quid – I don't know

defiantly on a hiding here and going to cost more in fees etc, asked a guy here servicing my boiler to fit the new taps to sink whilst on premises took all of 10 minutes cost £55.00 on top of the so called boiler service ( that boiler service is another matter - problems after he left and manufacturer asked when it was last serviced?? Gas Safe useless did not want to know or the MP)

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I spent many years as a registered gas installer.

In my experience, i would regularly be called out to a job and asked if there was any call out charge. I always answered that i did charge a £50 call out fee but, if, after diagnosis, the client went ahead with the job quoted for, then the call out charge was included as part of the final bill.

For example: call out charge £50, new pump £210.

On initial call out, received £50 call out fee, upon completion, invoiced for remaining £160.

The reason i did this is quite simple, many people call you out to diagnose and quote for repairs/installations etc, but once the quite has been done, they then cancel the repair/installation and do it themselves or get "john" from the local pub to do it cheaper.

I was had over many times by this and is why i introduced the policy.

I should add that if the request for a quote only, i did not charge for that, if you do your quote properly, you will not need to charge for that.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

As we have not been privvy to the invoice i woukd suggest the plumber has probably charged for a call out and undertaken necessary safety measures in cementing the flue to avoid the possible ingress of toxic fumes from coming back into the house.

His alternative would have been to isolate the boiler on an "immediately dangerous" basis.

He has done the OP a favour in not isolating the boiler which is exactly what BGas would have done, leaving the OP without any heating or hot water and charging a damn site more for the privilege!

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.