Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Here's one I just saw on Twitter.     Lord Nelson was about 5ft 6" tall. His statue is around 17ft 4".   That's Horatio of about 3:1
    • Excellent news. All of these councillors have an interest in their constituents not falling into poverty, unlike the collections and call centre staff. 
    • Chancellor Rishi Sunak says decisions made in his Budget might not be "popular" but are "honest". View the full article
    • The gaming giant is offloading the Venetian in a $6.25bn deal to invest in Singapore and Macao. View the full article
    • ok best shot..   you need to reply to that letter of claim.   for debt covered by the consumer credit act:   send a cca request along with the completed form:   NOTE ONLY USE THE ATTACHED FORM below DO NOT USE THE FORM SUPPLIED BY THE DCA IN THEIR PAP LETTER!! DO NOT USE OR GIVE THEM YOUR EMAIL/PHONE NUMBER. USE ROYAL MAIL 1st class - get free proof of posting from any PO counter   box D tick   I dispute this debt because ..i refer you to our previous communications and my previous respond to your previous Letter of Claim. i am over 50yrs and have deferred as required to meet the age write off.    box I tick   I also require you to supply the following..   All signed agreements Copies All my deferment sent to either yourselves, the SLC or the SAAS to date. Copies of all communications bothways in whatever format to/from Erudio, Capquest, yourselves and Me A copy of the any Default Notices A copy of the Notice of Assignment A complete set of statements detailing exactly how the sum you allege is owed has accrued detailing: All Transactions. Any additional charges, be them by the original creditor or you xxxx the debt purchaser or any predecessor DCA. Details of all contractual interest added by whom and on what date. List of ALL Payments made toward the Agreement   no need to do the financial statement etc anything else or send anything else bar the above do NOT give them your phone nor email PRINT your name never sign the form   staple the £1  PO to the CCA request and send it to the debt purchaser return the completed PAP form below to the solicitors that sent it to you attain free proof of posting for BOTH at any PO counter 1st class mail will do. recorded is a waste of money   reply form PAP.pdf
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1524 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Hi there, do you have any idea on filling out self-assessments (uk) - My background..


Basically, I had an injury with left me unable to work before the 2015-16 tax year started. I was self-employed with my own business which I officially ended a few days into tax year, and had a day job but didn't work the entire year due to my injuries so was on SSP (Statutory Sick Pay). My boss held the job open for when I recovered after the tax year, the SSP ended, and went in to ESA and then also later in that tax year PIP.


So my query:

1. At the end of the year instead of a P60 my boss sent me a P60U, was I meant to be given a P60 as well, seeing as I was just on SSP?


2. Does the P60u cover the ESA & PIP, or was I meant to be sent something for PIP as well to put in my self-assessment?


Many thanks, even if you can just answer 1. or 2. !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I received SSP the DWP sent me a P60 as the money is paid tax free but is liable to tax. on your SA form there should be a space for other income so you can specify it and any tax already paid by either PAYE or collected as an advance against the year's total expected tax take.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for your info - I already have the figures from my P60U in the later part of the SA. But for the income amount for the 'total pay' of my day job 'from P60' and 'tax taken off' part, I have just got '0' amounts - as I didn't get a P60, so does anyone have an idea whether it would be okay to leave it as that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

you could ask the tax office using either your NI number as a reference or the number on the P60 that identifies the tax centre. they will be able to tell you what tax has been collected on that particular employment.

If the true answer is 0 then put that in the box and the calculations will take that into account. (if online)

Link to post
Share on other sites

^Thanks (yes, online):

1. Am not a fan of ringing them up as the time/cost getting through in the past, etc. am not in a rush atm, so would like to explore whether an alternative method if possible?

2. For my PIP, didn't receive any forms/annual statements so would have to look at my bank statements to work it out but am assuming its not a taxable benefit as I can't see anywhere to put it on the SA anyway, so atm I'm leaving it out. Hope this is right.

Link to post
Share on other sites

..My thinking would be to use my pay slips or amounts gone in to my bank statements in that tax year till my SSP ended, for the amount of the 'total pay' of the day job 'from P60' part, and for the 'tax taken off' part to leave as blank. Though my dilemma, not 100% sure the SSP would already be part of the ESA to leave out? I'm also using the PAYE reference code from my P60U as my 'day jobs' reference. I think this strategy is correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites

all benefits and pensions are taxable but they are paid without tax being deducted as most people dont actually have to pay tax on them because they are too poor to reach the tax threshold. Therefore you should put them down on a tax return. I believe that unless you agree with them to take any overpayment of benefit/underpayment of tax on said benefit as an adjustment to your tax code they will find it very difficult to recover any monies due if your pay is below a qualifying threshold.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry i don't understand, would my current strategy for 1. work?

For 2. would it matter that I made '0' from self-employment work as I closed it on the 12th April, and that the benefits started well after I ended self-employment (but in the tax year)? I have got ESA on, but is there a spot to put the PIP on the self-assessment I can't find it? Many thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

all benefits go under other income. add them together.

If self employment income is 0 then put that. deduct your expenses of running that business and you may well end up with a minus amount which will offset any other tax liability.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...