Samsung Won't Repair My Phone Under Warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Hope you can give me some advice but I fear I may have already lost any chance with this.

I bought a New Samsung S6 Mobile Phone from a retailer (no contract) about 6 months ago.

The USB charging port developed a fault

I took it back to the shop who insisted that as it was over 30 days I must deal directly with Samsung. I realise now that this advice is wrong!

I sent my phone off to the Samsung Service Centre

after 3 weeks I eventually got a call to say that because it had a small scratch on the casing the warranty is void and I would have to pay £200 for the repair.

The scratch is purely cosmetic and has nothing to do with the USB charging issue.

As I was desperate for the my phone I foolishly paid.

I've told my friends and they say I have been fobbed off by both the retailer and by Samsung and I feel very embarrassed and upset.

Is there anything I can do at this stage for me to get refunded?

Which retailer did you buy the phone from? Or are you trying to protect them?

Yes, of course you've been had and you fell for it hook line and sinker. Seeing that you've been a member here since 2015, I don't really understand why you didn't come here first and tell us all about it.

I suppose you've got no evidence that the retailer fobbed you off? You don't record your calls or you don't record conversations with mobile phone retailers?

Can you tell us something about the Samsung warranty please. Also can you post some pictures of this scratch on the casing which apparently has voided the warranty. I suppose you've got no evidence that they told you that either because you don't record your calls?

Thanks for your prompt reply.... the situation is actually my sister who's just come to visit. It was far quicker & easier to post the issue under my account.

Phone was bought from here: Laptops Direct (I tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me)

No calls were recorded and a picture will become available when the phone is received back from Samsung next week

Thank you. Well as I said, you've been had. Both of these companies are abusing their customers' innocence and gullibility.

The problem now is that this is your sisters phone so we are playing Chinese whispers and in the end it will be up to her to decide whether she wants to take some action to get her money back.

My view is that she could claim her money back from Samsung – so long as it is clear that the scratch is superficial and couldn't void the warranty. I would be bringing a small claim against them for breach of contract and also for the refund of money paid under a mistake. Frankly I can imagine that if Samsung receive the court papers, that they would quickly put their hands up – partly because they would probably realise that they were in the wrong, and partly because they would be so stunned to be sued in this way by anyone and they simply wouldn't want to go through the cost of defending it.

It's all going to be a question of whether your sister wants to get her money back or not and whether she feels strongly enough that she decides that she wants to vent her anger against them. Unfortunately, most people decide simply to move on and get on with their lives. On one hand this is a very understandable and reasonable thing to want to do. On the other hand, it simply validates the kind of behaviour you have experienced from laptops direct and from Samsung.

If she is interested in getting involved then she should register with the forum and get involved directly. It's not too difficult and she would find it interesting but on the other hand maybe she thinks that she's got too many other things to do.

One of the things I would start with would be to send Samsung an SAR so that you had a full disclosure in respect of the phone. Then I would write to them and demand my money back. This will get you nowhere so in fact my letter of demand would be a 14 day letter before action and then I would launch into the claim without any more hanging around.

The claim would be transferred to your local court and that itself would give Samsung a headache – I doubt whether Samsung would challenge it and they would simply pay up as a gesture of goodwill. If they did turn up, then as long as the scratch is clearly superficial/cosmetic, then I would expect that the judge would hand you a judgement for your money plus interest plus costs

How did she pay the £200?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It was paid by Debit Card

I've dug a little deeper and I've now seen the email Samsung have sent

- This is the exact wording:

Thank you for sending your Samsung S6 for a repair with us.

Your item has been examined by one of our engineers and we have found that it is not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.

Attached is a picture of the damage located on your Samsung product.

We hope the picture helps explain the damage we’ve located.

I think the 'Damage' they are talking about is the 'speck' on the USB port border (top right - on the curve)

- The issue with the phone is a charging problem which is something to do with the inner workings deep inside the USB port

S6.JPG

I'm not sure that there will be any mileage in beginning a chargeback process in a case like this.

However, I do think that once you get the phone back you could usefully start a claim against them in the way that I have described above. I think that your response to the "damage" damage that they have found is that it is insignificant and that in any event it is consistent with merely wear and tear associated with plugging a USB charging device in and that this is consistent with normal use.

Get the phone back and then complain and get ready to sue.