Power of Attorney for my dad

Argyll
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2623 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dads 73 and suffers from ill health. I've dealt with all his financial affairs for years but thought we're better making it official. He has agreed to giving me power of attorney and I've been looking through the process of carrying it out. We've decided to go do it ourselves and wonder if anyone on this site has experience of doing it themselves and if there are any good templates around? I live in Scotland.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

OP states he lives in Scotland, but the key is where the donor of the power resides.

If his father is in Scotland too, don't rely on the English protocols.

http://www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/power-of-attorney Is a good start.

The FAQs on that site also cover what to do if the POA needs to be used on both sides of the border.

Thanks Bazz... wasn't sure if it differed for Scotland :thumb:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks for the links but I already read them. However it doesn't provide any templates or none that I can see anyway. I'm wary about having a solicitor draw it up for me as I think most of them are **** sucking leeches but that's another story :-)

I just wondered if there were any templates online I could use.

Hi,

I very much doubt there is, having read this article from 2014, it looks like doing it yourself could be very difficult...

http://www.step.org/sheriffs-bombshell-decision-renders-most-scottish-powers-attorney-invalid

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Thanks for the links but I already read them. However it doesn't provide any templates or none that I can see anyway. I'm wary about having a solicitor draw it up for me as I think most of them are **** sucking leeches but that's another story :-)

The power is going to need approval from a professional (medical or solicitor) to protect the interests of the donor by showing he is competent to grant it, and to remove the possibility of an unscrupulous applicant. You (and your dad) can choose a doctor if you dislike solicitors.

However, (as another contributor has already posted), there are risks to "going it alone" : get it wrong and the power may be invalid.

If you only discover this once your Dad is no longer able to consent to create the power, it will get costly, as you'd then need the court to create the power on his behalf .......

My mum had this done for my sister and I earlier this year, sadly it was too late for my father as his dementia had already progressed too far. We used a local solicitor (removed) and they couldn't have been more helpful... It wasn't cheap but worth it for the peace of mind.

Edited by honeybee13
Lawyers' name removed

• 2 months later...

I done some research and discovered 'Which Legal' had a special offer on at half price POA until the end of January. I completed an on-line template and their paralegal team checked it over. I then had my dads doctor to countersign it. It's going through the Scottish offices as I speak.

I despise solicitors as I have been ripped off in the past while going through family courts £205 an hour really is a mickey take,

All in all it's cost me about £130 :-D

I'll use the same template for my mum

Hope things go well for you Argyll, sounds promising, let us know how you get on.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

So some people are allowed to give recommendations whilst others aren't.... interesting.

There is a difference Heckler between free advice and fee charging external links...read the Forum Rules.

Regards

Andy