ESA and returning to work

Ric Tic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening all, I wonder if someone can advise me on the following?

I'm an auxiliary nurse with the NHS. Just over 12 months ago I was struck down with Rheumatoid arthritis and was unable to work. My sick pay and SSP ran out and I have been claiming ESA since last April despite remaining employed. As my condition has improved somewhat and as I was about to be considered for medical retirement/dismissal, I took the only course open to me which was to apply for redeployment to a lighter less physical role. Such a role(Admin) became available recently and I've embarked on a one month trial.

I was given a Fit note by my doctor and posted a copy to the DWP and to my HR dept. I backed this up with a phone call to DWP advising I was returning to work on 21st Nov. I also seperately advised the DWP as I had an imminent work capability assessment.

I assumed this would suffice as the last thing I need is to receive any payments I'm not entitled to. However, yesterday I received the usual letter/reply paid envelope from the DWP that they send out to return your sick notes. I then checked my bank account and found I'd just received a fortnight's benefit!

Is ESA paid in arrears and could I have actually been due the recent payment or do you think the DWP have just ignored my notifications and paid me by mistake? I'll obviously give them a call on Monday but right now I'm worrying :-(

ESA is paid two weeks in arrears - in other words, each fortnightly payment covers you for the two weeks that end on your pay day. So if you returned to work (and, in effect, declared that you are fit for work) effective 21st November then chances are your entitlement ended on the 20th November.

There are times when they don't process your notification of change of circumstances as promptly as they should. I would certainly check with them, but I would not worry. You informed them, and that's what matters. Keep the money aside in case there has been a small overpayment of benefit, but even if there has it's no big deal - this sort of thing happens all the time. If it's determined you were not entitled to the money all that will happen is that they'll ask for it back and that will be the end of it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I might be able to give some advice on this.

I have just returned to work after being on ESA for a while (Arthritis)

The ESA is paid in arrears. If you have been claiming for the previous six months you are entitled to £100 back to work payment if working 35 hours or more.. You are also entitled to four weeks run on with any housing benefit if working 35 hours or more.

I live in Northern Ireland but probably the same on the Main land

You have to ask for this as they are very shy in making it known to the claimant

Unfortunately the £100 Job Grant and four week run on were both abolished a couple of years ago here on the mainland. It's unfortunate, because they were genuinely very helpful to people returning to work, something that the benefits system is supposed to encourage where possible.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Many thanks for your replies-I hadn't realised the housing benefit run on had been scrapped! Very disappointing but I'm not surprised-I've found ESA a tough experience, ironically never more so than in returning to work. If I'd been on jobseekers I'd have got a free one month buspass to enable me to get to work at a time when I could least afford it. On ESA-no help at all and I've been extremely lucky that my employer agreed to make an early part payment of wages, otherwise there was a real risk I'd have had no money for transport.

I've also been lucky in that the dreaded work capability assessment was scheduled for a few days after I returned to work and I was able to cancel it. I would certainly have been deemed fit for work and lost ESA. If this job trial hadn't been available I figure I would have had to ask my employer to sack me or risk no money at all!

My job trial ends at Christmas and if they decide they don't want me then jobseekers looms in the new year-worrying times!

Paul