Jump to content

Informing DWP of my moving in with partner?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1552 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I have been on income related ESA in the Support Group for about 4 years now. All the time I have been on ESA I have lived with family members and recieved no other benefits such as housing benefit etc. At some point over the next month or so I will be moving in with a partner. My partner earns over the threshold I will lose all benefits once I move in with them.


The house my partner has bought earlier this year is currently being renovated and due to my ill health I cannot move in until the work is complete which will hopefully be soon but I have no definate date. As far as I know I need to inform the DWP of my change in circumstances within 30 days of moving in with my partner is this correct?


In addition I don't know what to expect when I tell them of my new situation when it happens. Will it trigger a new WCA for example. Do I just need to fill out a form about my change in circumstance or will they investigate i.e. come round to see if I am living in the new house?


I am hoping it shouldn't really be an issue as my change or circumstances will mean I am no longer getting any benefits paid except my stamp as opposed to me asking for more money?


Could anyone advise me on what to expect?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to inform DWP of the change of circumstances as soon as possible otherwise there is likely to be an overpayment of benefits which you will have to pay back. Your ESA should be paid 2 weeks in arrears so you're probably safe to spend the money you receive for the first two weeks after you move but after that don't touch it even if DWP keep paying you - they sometimes take quite a long time to process things. It's best to keep everything in writing and get proof of posting (free from the post office) so there can be no dispute that you have told them, though obviously if they keep paying you for more than a few weeks it would be wise to make sure they have received your letter.


This change shouldn't trigger a WCA but DWP can ask for you to be assessed any time they like so it is possible. They're unlikely to investigate otherwise or do a home visit unless they think you may be entitled to other benefits, e.g. PIP, which you could well be if you're in the Support Group.


"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...